E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

2010 528xi Msport- winter tire/wheel setup advise needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 08:20 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All! (I apologize in advance for my newbie-ness)

My Parents purchased a 2010 528i Msport with X drive this past spring- (first time BMW owners, learning the ropes) They live in Iowa and originally planned to garage the car for the winter, but instead it will continue to be my Mother's daily driver (will take a beating), so they need basic wheels and tires for the winter.

measurements: 18 x 8 , et#43 (the car currrently has run-flats on p/n 36118036944 (style 135M)- which the dealer warns about taking off-b/c of tire warranty..?..and possible damage....otherwise, they would keep the same wheel and switch the tire)

The dealership priced a wheel/tire setup at $3000. (I dont know the details of that setup) Dad scoffed at the price.

Dad ordered tires locally (sams club) for $166 per tire- p245/40 r18 93v dunlop sport 5000m ultra high performance all season tires. $760 installed- The order can still be cancelled. (fyi- they REFUSED to remove the runflats for fear of damage...)

My parents are very conservative- Dad would like to get the same oem wheel and perhaps just leave them on. Dealership offer- 10% off of $455 per wheel. I found them reconditioned online for $239 per wheel- I think my next step will be to call tischer bmw and Newport BMW.(+TPMS sensors? are they included with oem wheels?)

Also, should the tire choice be changed? (I keep reading about Conti DWS?)

Any other recs/advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks so much for your help!
Old 12-02-2010, 08:26 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

What's up, newbie!

Okay, honestly, I would NOT get a second set of wheels - just a second set of tires.

Which tires? I bought a set of Continental Extreme DWS tires and I LOVE them. They are all season tires, but since your parents' car is AWD, I seriously doubt they will require winter tires. I had summers on my Xi for two winters and had no problems at all, so all seasons are just fine. DWS have an insane wear rating, excellent traction, are very quiet and waaaaaaay softer ride than the RFT's. So I whole-heartedly recommend them. As a matter of fact, at least three of my friends have/had them on their BMW's and everyone loves them. Get DWS - problem solved

PS one feature of my DWS tires that I personally absolutely love is when it rains they get stickier. Yes, really. I've even asked my friends who have them and they all said the same thing. It's as though they get softer in the wet. In reality, of course, they do not get softer - just the thread design gripping so good that it feels like you're on slicks on a hot track (aside from the soft sidewall).

Anyway, I can't say enough FOR this tire - just get them. You will not regret it, believe me (and every other person who has them)