E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

2" drop? good or bad, eibach?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 07:33 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to hear that
Old 06-05-2006, 10:14 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by poleposition' post='292533' date='Jun 4 2006, 10:33 PM
sorry to hear that

It's okay with the money that i saved i have planned plenty of ugrading mods to my beautiful car. Wait for pics, my garage is full of toys.

Stay tunned
Old 06-06-2006, 12:14 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by iceman316' post='292203' date='Jun 4 2006, 12:53 AM
Nope Eibach doesn't make springs for a 2" drop only H&R Race has the 2" drop here's a pic of 2" drop on a 545.
Do you have any camber issues with a 2" drop?
Old 06-06-2006, 03:20 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by heezy545i' post='293141' date='Jun 6 2006, 03:14 AM
Do you have any camber issues with a 2" drop?
Certainly you will. Some of these ideas amaze me here--people are scared to death of using over an 18" wheel for fear of ride quality, but they want to stick their car in the ground and think there are no compromises. Yes, you will have tire wear issues, camber issues, ride height issues, and "rattle/groan" issues too (these cars just aren't put together that well). These are just part of the compromise if you want to run your car that low. If you live in SoCal and your car is an occasional one, and the roads are perfect, less problems. But still things to deal with. 10-20 mm from stock, not such a big deal. But 2" or so is 50MM! Just gotta be realistic.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:35 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by allenman' post='293245' date='Jun 6 2006, 06:20 AM
Certainly you will. Some of these ideas amaze me here--people are scared to death of using over an 18" wheel for fear of ride quality, but they want to stick their car in the ground and think there are no compromises. Yes, you will have tire wear issues, camber issues, ride height issues, and "rattle/groan" issues too (these cars just aren't put together that well). These are just part of the compromise if you want to run your car that low. If you live in SoCal and your car is an occasional one, and the roads are perfect, less problems. But still things to deal with. 10-20 mm from stock, not such a big deal. But 2" or so is 50MM! Just gotta be realistic.
I think a lot of us, and i do say a lot of us, me being included want the best look for our vehicles. Sometimes we just don't know or don't have the experience of other more knowledgeable members therefore, we ask stupid questions, im aware that there will probably be ride issues but sometimes experiences and solutions from other members might impress and surprise us.

Thanks for your posts
Old 06-06-2006, 10:54 AM
Senior Members

[quote name='rjcastr' date='Jun 6 2006, 10:35 AM' post='293309']
I think a lot of us, and i do say a lot of us, me being included want the best look for our vehicles.

As do I. And there are no stupid questions....
I'm simply saying that the right "look" is a combination of ride height, wheels, and other cosmetics that add up to the right combo. Just because the wheels are huge, or the ride height is crazy low, or the car has a giant cowcatcher nose doesn't automatically make it great looking. It's the combination of everything, properly done. I just meant to say that I find it amusing when people want a certain look, but think they can get it by circumventing good sense, or methods that have proven to be good ones. (E.g. : 'I'm going to cut the springs out of my car because I want it lower than any spring manufacturer will sensibly make, but I'm going to run 17" wheels so it won't ride poorly"--follow? Me neither.
Okay, way too much on this. Sorry, old dude out now.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:30 PM
Contributors

One of the results of lowering a car is the introduction of more negative camber on the front and rear wheels. Some negative camber is good for handling, but too much will result in poor handling and uneven tire wear.

After you get an alignment, you will know whether they are able to get it within stock specification or not. Perhaps even an aggressive alignment instead. A drastic drop will result in too much camber and it is unlikely that the technician will able to get it within spec during alignment. In this case, you would need adjustable camber arms or "a" arms to get within spec. Adjusting camber and getting within spec would mean a larger tire patch on the ground along with better handling and even tire wear.

Unfortunately, I don't think they even make adjustable camber arms for the e60.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:47 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by heezy545i' post='293559' date='Jun 6 2006, 08:30 PM
One of the results of lowering a car is the introduction of more negative camber on the front and rear wheels. Some negative camber is good for handling, but too much will result in poor handling and uneven tire wear.

After you get an alignment, you will know whether they are able to get it within stock specification or not. Perhaps even an aggressive alignment instead. A drastic drop will result in too much camber and it is unlikely that the technician will able to get it within spec during alignment. In this case, you would need adjustable camber arms or "a" arms to get within spec. Adjusting camber and getting within spec would mean a larger tire patch on the ground along with better handling and even tire wear.

Unfortunately, I don't think they even make adjustable camber arms for the e60.
I think they do make camber kits for the E60 i will google it

Thanks for the info. I highly doubt that a 2" in drop can be re aligned to stock specification.

Anyone know if this is the case?
Old 06-06-2006, 06:56 PM
Contributors

I found these with a quick search http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detai...ODUCT_ID=193516 not sure if it's applicable however.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:16 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Dinan also make camber plates for the E60.

Quick Reply: 2" drop? good or bad, eibach?