E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

1M front bumper conversion for E60

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 12:12 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got in touch with DTMFiberWerks. They are able to fabricate the bumper only if we have enough interest. Please let me know so maybe we could start up a group but on it.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:34 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
What is the long term that you mean? Two of these bumpers have been completed and used for about a year now with no problem. Just curious.
Really? Who has this now for this long? Hopefully, it all works and there are never any issues. As for time, that would be relevant to the situation for sure. Simon, don't you have some connections overseas? Who ever takes on building a tool will need to have it where the total production cost is not over the top. I can't think of anywhere in the US where that would fit.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:17 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

Originally Posted by RS_E60
fiberglass and sheet metal is a lot stronger than actually using plastic adhesive epoxy bond. I'm experience auto body and painter for the last 15 years don't get me wrong your method would work as well however to create strength right in the structural point of where the reinforcement would go you would make more sense to get a stronger bond there. But once you get your initial mold then the whole bumper can be made out of fiberglass. There are several ways to create a one-off and several ways to mass produce it all depends what you're looking to do.
Both the metal and fiberglass are strong but are not the best for longevity. Ie. rust and that fiberglass doesn't adhere to plastic bumpers very well. I can see, like you said, if it was just for a mold to produce fiberglass bumpers but I wouldn't use these methods on something I plan to topcoat. Plus both of these are too rigid. If you bump a curb or something, guaranteed its going to crack.

Last edited by 545iMike; 07-01-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:19 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

Originally Posted by Bill109
using a plastic welder is not easy lol. using the 12g sheet metal.. (seems thick..) with some dura glass seems like the best solution..

id give it a try if it didnt require buying two bumpers
Just because its easier doesn't make it right. Plastic welding is not that hard at all. Time consuming maybe.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:26 PM
Members

My Ride: remapped & modded E60 525d
Model Year: 2006

If this bumper would be for sale I would definitely get one, even though I am in Europe I have someone in the US who can take care of the shipping at a low cost.

I really don't understand why it wasn't produced in mass already because it would definitely bring some good money for the first producer.. (there are other tasteless mods which are produced and still being sold pretty well, imagine this bumper how sold would be)

Just my opinion..
Old 07-01-2013, 03:37 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Really? Who has this now for this long? Hopefully, it all works and there are never any issues. As for time, that would be relevant to the situation for sure. Simon, don't you have some connections overseas? Who ever takes on building a tool will need to have it where the total production cost is not over the top. I can't think of anywhere in the US where that would fit.
Two M5 owners, one is a customer of mine, and another is a member at M5board (the red M5 in the pics is his).

So I have had a chance to look at the front bumpers six months after they were done. And to this date, it's about a year since it was first installed. I have not heard of any issue from those two M5 owners.

If you jump on my FB page or Instagram, you can see pictures of my client's car.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:09 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2009///528i///Alpine white///20 inch DPE s20///KW V2 Suspension///

Originally Posted by HKninja
I got in touch with DTMFiberWerks. They are able to fabricate the bumper only if we have enough interest. Please let me know so maybe we could start up a group but on it.
I would be interested if it affordable, please keep me posted.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:22 PM
Members

Originally Posted by dj_rzn
If this bumper would be for sale I would definitely get one, even though I am in Europe I have someone in the US who can take care of the shipping at a low cost.

I really don't understand why it wasn't produced in mass already because it would definitely bring some good money for the first producer.. (there are other tasteless mods which are produced and still being sold pretty well, imagine this bumper how sold would be)

Just my opinion..

I know man! I wish I know where to start!
Old 07-01-2013, 08:27 PM
Members

Originally Posted by deejayjonjon
I would be interested if it affordable, please keep me posted.

I will post any update if any vendors are willing to jump on this. I really can't see the down side of this. If this bumper is $600-$700 shipped to your door will you buy it? Consider the Mtech and M5tech bumpers are around $400-$500 shipped right? I need to know what people are willing to pay.

Last edited by HKninja; 07-01-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:41 PM
Members

Photo by nomis_nehcName:  1MfrontforE60_zps96f8b963.jpg
Views: 1406
Size:  51.8 KB

Last edited by HKninja; 07-01-2013 at 09:05 PM.

Quick Reply: 1M front bumper conversion for E60