E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

19's in NYC???

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 07:52 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm contemplating going with the 19's. Problem is my current wheels, the stock 18" wheels are bent because of the crappy NYC streets. Can anyone recommend a STRONG 19" wheel? Does anybody have 19's that lives in NY? How is the ride quality compared to the 18's? Are they holding up well on the city streets. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

I navigate the streets of NYC and have (knock on wood) avoided potholes and the like for the most part.
I'm curious why you would want to change the set up around which the vehicle was designed? One inch does not seem like it would visibly make a difference. New expensive wheels would also still take a bit of a beating on our streets.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by 1600' post='248551' date='Mar 2 2006, 07:05 PM
I navigate the streets of NYC and have (knock on wood) avoided potholes and the like for the most part.
I'm curious why you would want to change the set up around which the vehicle was designed? One inch does not seem like it would visibly make a difference. New expensive wheels would also still take a bit of a beating on our streets.
Good question.

For crappy roads 17" 225/50 are the best choice.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:13 AM
Senior Members

I've just returned from having two bent rims repaired. That makes SIX!! since I've owned and driven the car around Boston's streets. I'm at the point where it's just a cost of driving the car.

However, the one suggestion that I would make is to avoid run-flat tires at all costs. I'm convinced that the tires' strengthened sidewalls make the rims all that much more prone to bending.

My two cents . . .
Old 03-02-2006, 08:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (UK) Bulit: Feb 2004, 520i (M54), 6-Speed Manual, Black leather, Titanium Silver, Bi-Xenon, Headlamp washers, Side rear airbags, Park Distance Control, Aluminium trim, Standard Climate Control, 17" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero Rosso's, Spacesaver Spare wheel, Jack, Dynamic drive, Service Inclusive, Chrome grills, Software version 20.01.00, E60.net Clings, Painted wheel hubs silver

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='248560' date='Mar 2 2006, 05:13 PM
However, the one suggestion that I would make is to avoid run-flat tires at all costs. I'm convinced that the tires' strengthened sidewalls make the rims all that much more prone to bending.

My two cents . . .
100%
Old 03-02-2006, 09:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

It's not the wheels you need to worry about. It's the tire sidewall height that matters. And the larger the wheel, the lower the aspect ratio (less sidewall).

This is not brain surgery: more rubber=more protection. No matter what, I'd look for Dunlop or other brands that feature the protective rubber tire bead that surrounds the lip of the wheel. They are quite obvious when you see the difference side-by-side.

good luck,
Ray Hull
Old 03-02-2006, 09:29 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

To all people with bent wheels: Why don't BMW replace or fix the wheels under warranty. If you drive under normal condition, and you didn't intentional misuse the car. Should it cover by BMW warranty??
Old 03-02-2006, 11:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Some local Porsche and Ferrari owners have generally agreed that 19" is the largest rim they would be willing to have in the city. 20" is too much and asking for trouble.

As long as you don't get runflats and consciously avoid try to avoid potholes, you should be fine.

As for strong rims, check out BBS, OZ and CCW. All three are race proven and look good in my opinion. If you want big lips (deep dish), then you need forged rims to handle our potholes. If no lip, you can stick with cast rims.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:33 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='248698' date='Mar 2 2006, 03:38 PM
Some local Porsche and Ferrari owners have generally agreed that 19" in the largest rim they would be willing to have in the city. 20" is too much and asking for trouble.

As long as you don't get runflats and consciously avoid try to avoid potholes, you should be fine.

As for strong rims, check out BBS, OZ and CCW. All three are race proven and look good in my opinion. If you want big lips (deep dish), then you need forged rims to handle our potholes. If no lip, you can stick with cast rims.
Thanks for the info!!
Old 03-02-2006, 04:20 PM
Members

My Ride: 06 530xi

I had an e46 3-series coupe with 18" rims before I ordered my new car. I couldn't stand driving the car after 4 years because it was such a pain trying to avoid NYC potholes. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE!

After bending 3 rims and blowing out numerous tires, driving slower than my grandma on bad roads, taking longer routes just to avoid potholes, exerting so much energy and effort just trying to avoid every potholes on the road, I have had iT!!!! I think I knew where every big potholes were in Queens and Brooklyn haha.

I can't imagine what it is like with 19's!!!!! This is why I am going to keep my stock rims on my new XI when it comes. Of course, 19s are head turners.. Have fun and good luck.

I would recommend BBS and HRE rims. They are known to be very strong because they are forged rims. The prices are pretty expensive though.

Quick Reply: 19's in NYC???