E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

@5wagoon - latest interior mods: trim, SAT

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 12:19 PM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: 535i xDrive Sport Wagon (E61)
Model Year: 2010 E61
Engine: N54
Default @5wagoon - latest interior mods: trim, SAT

Inspired by a few other builds - mainly @ucsbwsr 's - I have started doing some OEM+ modifications on my 2010 E61.

Here's the car the day I bought it

Bamboo anthracite interior trim swap was done shortly after I picked up the car. I still have the light poplar kit (in excellent condition, make me an offer if you're interested!)

Original Light Poplar

Light Poplar vs. Bamboo Anthracite

Bamboo Anthracite installed

Also, at the recommendation of my friend Sander from ID4Motion, I did the SAT gear selector + sport button retrofit. Pretty easy installation, the Sport button worked without coding (heavier steering and rev-matched shifts when Sport is activated). I also sourced a heated Napa leather wheel with paddles - those will require some wiring to make work which I have planned to tackle at a later date. Still reading my way through the 80+ pages of that SAT retrofit thread...

Honestly, I had pretty low expectations for the Sport mode - but it is honestly one of the highest "smile per gallon" mods that I have done. It really does transform the driving characteristics and it's really enjoyable when you want to push the limits a bit.

Took the entire wheel apart. Cleaned all surfaces, inspected connections and buttons for everything. Lubed the paddle shifter buttons

After cleaning

Little details no one will ever see these - except now you guys!

This is the module for the paddle shifters. Not sure what this style of switch/button is called. All the lubricant had worn away and was dried up - put some synthetic SiO2 lubricant.

Pretty interesting how these operate. Fun fact, these are made by ALPS

SAT install - in progress

SAT - installed

I had a number of burned out bulbs - was going to stick with OEM bulbs but opted to go for a full LED kit. $17 on Amazon - figured worst case I could return it if it sucked, but I was honestly surprised by the improvement in output. I know the higher color temperature is not everyone's preference but I like being able to see every detail of the interior.

Before - OEM lighting

After - LED lighting

After - Now I can actually see the cargo compartment! All three bulbs were burnt out before.

Last edited by irjetsetter; 03-03-2020 at 10:24 PM.