E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

*What offsets to use on 9" wide 19" fronts ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 01:39 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

So I'm thinking to go the 10in wide rims in the rear for my summers (for more concavity), and it got me wondering if 9in wide up front is possible without any issues? And if yes, how? Specifically, what offsets should I use?

I'd wrap the 9in wides with the same 245/35/19 rubber that I would an 8.5in wides, so the tire will be a little stretched (which I dig).
But the offset calculator is confusing me.

Before we get any deeper into this, if anyone has pics of E60/E61 with 9in wide front rims, please post and let me know what size tires they're on, if possible.

Read below only if you're interested in long reads - otherwise, just respond with your thoughts to above please

Ok, so the offset calculator is confusing me a little bit. My OEM offsets are ET43 with an 8in wide rim (same 245-width tire).
I plugged in the numbers for an OEM offset and then numbers for what I thought would be the "flush" offset with a 9in wheel, but this is what I got.

OEM offset vs "flush" 9in wide:
*What offsets to use on 9" wide 19" fronts ?-oemvs9offsetcalc.jpg

Then I decided to try another route. I know for a fact that you can run up to ET30 offset on an 8.5 inch wheel - which is pretty much flush with the fender and basically no more room to go on the outer side of the wheel well. So here's what the offset calculator gave me with those numbers:
*What offsets to use on 9" wide 19" fronts ?-8.5vs9offsetcalc.jpg

My problem is, I don't know if the latter - which is what I'd seek to get, since they are flush with the fenders - would clear the inner part of the wheel well without any rubbing, or more serious issues - particularly on the suspension components. Looks like either way I calculate it, there's about 12-13mm's of clearance that I'm losing on the inner side of the wheel with a 9in wide rim. I'm also probably upgrading to KW V3's in the future, which require even more space on the inner side. So based on the info I've given here, can I get the 9in wides for the front without any issues?

Thanks in advance for all the replies

EDIT: I just realized that for inner clearance the offset has to be calculated comparing to the OEM offsets (as in pic 1, above), while outer clearance can be calculated comparing to the "flush" benchmark - 8.5in wide, offset ET30 (as in the pic 2, above). Which leads me to believe that the best offset for the 9in wide wheel is about ET36 for me - that would net me the flush look I'm going for:
*What offsets to use on 9" wide 19" fronts ?-oemvsflush9offsetcalc.jpg

And again, your opinion - is there enough inner clearance to squeeze in the extra 6mm in there without any issues? There's probably a couple of more millimeters I can go toward the outside, but I doubt that going the whole 6 will clear the fender.

Click here for the offset calculator

PS Sorry for splitting hairs there, but details are important
Old 03-20-2010, 07:40 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

So I've been doing some research and see that many people are running 9's in the front without apparent issues. I think I'll be going with an ET35-36 9in-wides when the time comes.

Hopefully, the above information will come in handy to someone some day
Old 03-20-2010, 08:19 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 titanium silver metallic Like new 41k Cold Weather Package

This is a pretty cool calculator:

http://www.rimsntires.com/rt_specs.jsp