E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Your opinion on our interior

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 07:35 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550i White/Black, SMG, Sports Pkg, Comfort Access, Nav, HUD, Satellite Radio, Anthracite Maple Trim 2006 X5 3.0, Black/Black, Sports Pkg, Premium Pkg, Xenon Adaptive Headlight, NAV, Rear Climate Pkg, Anthracite Trim

Originally Posted by Quackbury' post='281325' date='May 11 2006, 08:06 PM
It'seven worse in the back seat. (Not that I want to spend any time in my 550 anywhere but the driver's seat!) The plastic used on the rear base of the console and around the bottoms of the rear doors is Hyundai-hideous. And the quality of the rear armrest is an insult - I just had a Chrysler 300 rental cr that put the E60's rear compartment to shame.

My E39 540i was much, much better in this regard....
I agree i think the E39 had better quality than the E60 interior
Old 05-11-2006, 09:43 PM
Members

My Ride: Due May 2006: 530d SE Touring, Automatic, Titanium Grey, beige leather comfort seats, light poplar wood trim, sports steering wheel, graduated tinted windscreen, panoramic sunroof, pro radio, logic 7, 6CD, visibility pack, storage compartment pack, adv aircon

I guess it's also what you're used to.
I've just come from a Subaru Forester Turbo, and to me the interior of my E61 is utterly fantastic !
But then I am also in the first flush of ownership
Old 05-11-2006, 10:09 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Nova Invicta' post='281202' date='May 11 2006, 10:52 PM
I love the car its fantastic to drive, I love most of the interior but....

2. One power socket for a ? 38K / $ 69K car is ridiculas
Hmm... I assume you are excluding the two in the rear or is that only with a marketing "Pack" like "Luxury Pack"?

BTW with folks discussing tail lights earlier I found that interesting and informative but little to do with the interior!

ABC
Old 05-12-2006, 12:51 AM
Contributors

Don't really have any complaints now, but in the beginning I thought the radio/cd area looked cheap, that the sport seats were uncomfortable and that the poplar on the dash was not very attractive.

I'm not really up on things, so how has the steering wheel changed?
Old 05-12-2006, 01:20 AM
Senior Members

Location: Luxembourg (work) / Germany (home) / Poland (heart ;)
My Ride: MY RIDES: Previous: 1997 BMW 528i E39 | graphit mettalic | black leather | electric heated and pumped comfort seats + memory (seats, wheel, mirrors) | factory xenon | LPG gas installation (Dutch / Prinz) w/direct sequential injection (same pwr and same cons.)+80L tank in the spare wheel place | cruise ctrl, electric sunshade | ABS | ESP | 4 airbags (never used :) | electronic AC (2 side) | Board computer | Leather heated multifunction wheel | Radio Profess.+tape+6 CD changer+subwoofer+10 spkrs+DSP | alu 17" AEZ + Turanza 235/45/ZR17 | rain sensor | factory GSM built-in | Asus A636 GPS navigation TomTom | HISTORY: 1999 BMW 735 | 1994 VW Golf GT | 1994 Citroen Xantia | 1997 Renault Megane Coupe | 2000 Alfa Romeo 146 | 1994 Renault 19 | 1995 Toyota Camry | 1994 Audi 100 | 1978 VW Golf (the only diesel so far...) FUTURE: (2011-2012) F11 530xd Msport ultimate DREAM: M5 diesel :)

I was just about to write about the same quality subject... So here come my thoughts ..

Some time ago I shared with this forum my thoughts about being upset on postponed delivery of my car.
Well, lucky for me I got a loaner-replacement car from my dealer for the waiting time until my own arrives
I already posted some of my observations and comments about this car along with several pictures in this thread here: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=24457&st=15

I did mention there however that I discovered few (small) quality issues with this car, and I wonder what do you guys think? Do these happen to your cars?
Do you think it is "normal" with this type of mid-class sedan to have problems like these...?
(See below, 530i E60 + 70.000 km mileage)

Ok, here are few pictures of what I mean:

Broken audio volume button:

Broken electric seat button:

Broken (and loose) lighter:

And it all worries me a bit because compared to my previously owned E39 and E38, I was hoping to find even better finish quality in E60, but - well surprise...
But generally speaking car drives and handles awesome.... yet - the finish is more like 1-series rather than 5-series... :thumbsdown:
Old 05-12-2006, 01:29 AM
Contributors

Oh my lighter is loose as well. I think I was able to charge my cell phone for a week or two before it broke. Never got around to getting it fixed though.

I keep loose change in the ashtray, so I think a nickel or something jammed the lighter.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by luxembourg' post='281444' date='May 12 2006, 05:20 PM
And it all worries me a bit because compared to my previously owned E39 and E38, I was hoping to find even better finish quality in E60, but - well surprise...
But generally speaking car drives and handles awesome.... yet - the finish is more like 1-series rather than 5-series... :thumbsdown:
There are some flaws in the E60 interior but saying is like 1 series is a bit too much.

The 5 feels like a car that belongs in this class, certainly no Lexus but pretty much what I expect from BMW.

I actually like the knobs in the climate control as digital read out is so 90s. If they are going to make improvements, the climate control would have to be in LCD colour display if they are thinking of moving forward which is hard to implement considering they have the iDrive screen up there already, so the retro analog looks suit the car.

As for the finish of the knob, you mean brighter for the silver part? I kinda like the brush aluminum feel myself.

Cup holders? They are retractable correct, just hide it if it bothers you that much. I would rather have this then the E39 one which doesn't hold anything or the E46 ones which sits there and collect dust or whatever you are drinking.

Leather on the steering wheel feels fine to me, I park indoor most of the time and use a sunshade when I am outside so no problem.

I agree with other member that there are too much wood already, I am not a big fan of wood so ....

Don't have sports seat so can't comment either but since when does sport cars have anything to do with comfort? You can always opt for the comfort seats I think that seat got some good feedback from users.

and yes no LED lights, this pisses me of that BMW is taking a step back or saving something for the face lift version.

Someone said the Audi interior? I look at the steering wheel and laugh what were they thinking with the four spoke....
Old 05-12-2006, 02:19 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AC_S5' post='281451' date='May 12 2006, 10:52 AM
I agree with other member that there are too much wood already, I am not a big fan of wood so ....
I can't find ANY wood on mine!

ABC
Old 05-12-2006, 02:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='281455' date='May 12 2006, 06:19 PM
I can't find ANY wood on mine!

ABC
Well is a good thing you didn't notice any
Old 05-12-2006, 05:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

I dont see what anybody is talking about. I love my interior. When I compare it to my previous E39 its either equal or better. On my E39 A/C controls got vacumed off at the car wash about 4 different times and on the center sliding armrest recessed tray the plastic started to wear off after one year. The one thing I do wish I had was LEDs in the taillights, on that aspect the E39 was better looking. As far as the plastics used, compared to other cars, well I dont see the big difference, they all use plastics and if they were to use more wood it would just make it an old farts car like the MB and Lexus...

Quick Reply: Your opinion on our interior