E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Your opinion on our interior

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 12:50 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530 2006 msport package, steptronic, pdc, mystik blue, grey dakota leather, sunroof, Bi-Xenon, heated rear seats, Hi-FI system, velour carpets

Originally Posted by TexaZ3' post='281136' date='May 11 2006, 10:10 PM
Here is my take on this:

* dashboard material looks/feel cheap (3 series, x5 and other use a different material)

I don't really see the difference, it looks and feels nice. You have not seen dash in Z3 yet! Its plastic!

* Steering wheel leather - now improved with 07' sports model

I like thicker and rougher leather on BMW steering wheels - it wears better. All too often you see Lexus and MB cars with worn leather on the steering wheel - I have yet to see this on a BMW.

* knobs for AC - 06' improved with brighter finish

Don't really care about brightness of the knobs.

* no LED tail lights - maybe in 08'+

Led tailights would be cool, but I can leave without them.

* No digital LCD for AC temperatur or fan speed - WHY?

* cup holders look awkward - Don't use them anyway

* center console needs more wood (like E63) - some prefer no wood at all, so its personal. I'm ok with the amount of wood on my dash.

* sport seats are uncomfortable, especially headrests - I find sport seats very comfortable, one of the best seats I've ever had. And I had enough cars, and BMW in particular - also a personal preference I guess.

I couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:57 PM
Members

Originally Posted by carfreak' post='281127' date='May 11 2006, 01:00 PM
I've had my car for 6 months, and I now feel that BMW cut costs by using inferior parts on our car. I used to own an e46 and I feel the parts were better quality. Here's some things that bother me on my e60:
  • dashboard material looks/feel cheap (3 series, x5 and other use a different material)
  • Steering wheel leather - now improved with 07' sports model
  • knobs for AC - 06' improved with brighter finish
  • no LED tail lights - maybe in 08'+
  • No digital LCD for AC temperatur or fan speed
  • cup holders look awkward
  • center console needs more wood (like E63)
  • sport seats are uncomfortable, especially headrests
What's your opinion?
*dashboard material
The fit and finish isn't bad at all, some improvements may be made but in general I'm happy.

*AC knob and no LCD display
I *love* not having a clunky LCD display showing me the temperature. I think the current design is very elegant and classy, similar to how Aston Martin puts an analogue clock in the dash instead of some cheapo-looking digital display.

*Cup holders
I think the cup holders are beautifully designed, with curves that flow along with the curves of the dash and doors.

*center console
More wood doesn't mean a better interior ... but I must say I hate the E60 center console where popping it open only reveals another mechanism you have to get through in order to store anything. And the compartment isn't even big enough ... I much prefer the 6 series center console.

In general I love BMW interiors. Some material choices could be made better, but the flowing design is top-notch especially when compared with say Audi whose interior is praised by many. I find Audi's design too straight-forward and square.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:45 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

Originally Posted by carfreak' post='281127' date='May 11 2006, 01:00 PM
I've had my car for 6 months, and I now feel that BMW cut costs by using inferior parts on our car. I used to own an e46 and I feel the parts were better quality. Here's some things that bother me on my e60:
  • dashboard material looks/feel cheap (3 series, x5 and other use a different material)
I feel that the intial model year (04-05) are cheaply made on purpose soley to improve equipment for later years. Some examples: Extra wood, better steering wheel, etc. However, the new 3 series has a more luxurious interior

What's your opinion?
Totally agreed. We purchase e60 for high performance luxury car. It cost the highest in it's class, and we should get better quality stuff in return.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:52 PM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d white, auto, professional sat-nav with internet, variable damper control, sports steering wheel, extended lighting, retractable tow bar, wing mirrors with dimming & folding, full electric seats with memory & lumber adjustment, etc.

I love the car its fantastic to drive, I love most of the interior but here are two things that annoy me about my car one of which has a remedy now.

1. Std. Auto air-con despite what someone else stated is cheap in apperance and as the recent hot weather in London proves not as good as M-B in cooling the car or my wifes previous Toyota Corolla

2. One power socket for a ? 38K / $ 69K car is ridiculas
Old 05-11-2006, 03:27 PM
Senior Members

I am in complete agreement. For a $65K car, the interior is horrible. It took me a while to get over it before I could actually buy the car. In fact, the reason that I went with black leather with anthracite trim was that I felt the "all black" motif hid the cheapness of the materials.

BMW needs to look at Audi, Lexus and the new MBs for inspiration.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:03 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by carfreak' post='281127' date='May 11 2006, 04:00 PM
[*]Steering wheel leather - now improved with 07' sports model
[*]sport seats are uncomfortable, especially headrests

What's your opinion?
I'm not sure I would call the leather in the '07's steering wheel an improvement. I'm still not sure it's real leather. If it is it sure heats up like vinyl under the sun. Nothing like any of my past BMWs.

I've always found BMW seats some of the best out there.

What are cup holders?

My only gripe with the inside is with the mis-match in colors. The black isn't really black and there are three different shades of black. But I'm picky about color. I would like more options for color and more options for ventilated seat colors. And the ergonomics could use some help but it's not as bad as the E53.

I really like the car and BMW but I also expect alot from their cars. But any time I stray I always come back. Bottom line I'm glad we're all a critical bunch. It helps make better cars.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i

Actually the new sports steering wheel looks x10 better
Old 05-11-2006, 04:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 Silver Grey 545i, Steptronic, Black Leather, Poplar Trim, Sport Package, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Nav, PDC, Cold Weather Package, Sun Shades, X-pel clear bra

Originally Posted by carfreak' post='281127' date='May 11 2006, 03:00 PM
I feel that the intial model year (04-05) are cheaply made on purpose soley to improve equipment for later years. Some examples: Extra wood, better steering wheel, etc. However, the new 3 series has a more luxurious interior

What's your opinion?
Funny you post this today- I have had my car for 1 1/2 years now and while stuck in traffic on the ride home today from work, I was thinking about how much I love this car- except for the cheap plastics used in the interior. For those who have owned an e39 or know someone who does, compare the two. The dash on the E60, the door panels (the top plastic part) and other plastics all the way down to the trim which covers the seat rails where they mount to the floor are much harder, and/ or thinner than the e39. This has nothing to do with the minimalistic design, but rather much lower quality plastics. I simply do not get the same "feeling" of quality as I did in my e39 528. However, once I hit the gas and hit the twisties, the smile this car gives me makes me forget the cheaper plastics.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i

Originally Posted by nicknec' post='281291' date='May 11 2006, 08:58 PM
However, once I hit the gas and hit the twisties, the smile this car gives me makes me forget the cheaper plastics.
I love the handling, but maybe I should've bought a v8 to make me forget the interior flaws
Old 05-11-2006, 07:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550iA TiSilver/Black, SP, CWP, PSP and Sirius 2006 X5 3.0 TiSilver/Black, PP, CWP, RCP

It'seven worse in the back seat. (Not that I want to spend any time in my 550 anywhere but the driver's seat!) The plastic used on the rear base of the console and around the bottoms of the rear doors is Hyundai-hideous. And the quality of the rear armrest is an insult - I just had a Chrysler 300 rental cr that put the E60's rear compartment to shame.

My E39 540i was much, much better in this regard....

Quick Reply: Your opinion on our interior