E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

You know what grinds my gears? iPod edition.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 09:55 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You know what grinds my gears? iPod edition.

I can go to pretty much any rental car place right now and pick pretty much any mid-size sedan, plug my iPhone into the built in USB port and the car recognizes it and if it doesn't have that it likely has A2DP audio support. $25,000 Ford Escape? Check. $30,000 Chrysler 300? Check.

But on my 2010, $67,000 BMW my iPod is not supported. Sure there's a USB port but unless the original buyer sprung for the $600 option it won't natively support the iPhone.

So what's the solution? I buy a proprietary cable that STILL doesn't pass the music along digitally but instead relies on a cumbersome 1/8th" jack for audio.

Seriously? This is about as backwards as backwards can get. What's it cost to integrate the ability to have proper iPhone control? It's nearly nothing.

It's a bit pathetic that I find the tech in a 2011 Chrysler 300 to be nicer and more intuitive than my deluxe CIC nav setup.

And I'm done venting.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:31 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Awesome. Don't forget this is the same BMW that was still putting cassette tape decks in 2001 7 series cars. The Germans have always thought they do electronics better than they actually do them.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:46 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Since you have CIC you likely just need to know the proper cable to use ... I bet you may simply just need a 6FL cable which probably cost some +/- $30-40 ... it's a Y cable that has USB+audio jack to plug to the car and iPod/iPhone connector on the other end.

Last edited by BlaSTiWi; 03-04-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi
Since you have CIC you likely just need to know the proper cable to use ... I bet you may simply just need a 6FL cable which probably cost some +/- $30-40 ... it's a Y cable that has USB+audio jack to plug to the car and iPod/iPhone connector on the other end.
He actually addresses this with "I (could) buy a proprietary cable that STILL doesn't pass the music along digitally but instead relies on a cumbersome 1/8th" jack for audio. ". Though you hear sound, it's being piped in via the analog AUX jack.

iPod interface "65 11 0 439 429" is the only native digital sound option supported by BMW.

Welcome to bavauto.com | BMW iPod Adaptor - Genuine BMW
Old 03-04-2013, 11:08 AM
Members

No I'm aware of this... thus this quote:

So what's the solution? I buy a proprietary cable that STILL doesn't pass the music along digitally but instead relies on a cumbersome 1/8th" jack for audio.
Awesome. Don't forget this is the same BMW that was still putting cassette tape decks in 2001 7 series cars. The Germans have always thought they do electronics better than they actually do them.
It's just so incredibly ass backwards. I can't believe built in support is a $600 option. Just ridiculous.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:10 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by Mike_K
And I'm done venting.
Welcome to BMW. Hahaha. Backwards as it gets especially with the electronic networking in these vehicles. It's all about $ and controlling people and their options. Yet the had a lot of info already programmed into the vehicles. For instance my 2004 came pre-wired for nav with sound and many features once you dig into the software. Reminds me of Apple...oh the new iphone 5s will be out in august or so....what will happen? Their cult following will buy up...you know because it's Apple...and human beings are pathetic.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:31 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
and human beings are pathetic.
Are you part of 'human beings'? or above them?
Old 03-05-2013, 04:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by pcy
Are you part of 'human beings'? or above them?
I think the former. We all drive these evil cars who just wait for the perfect opportunity to bitch slap us with repair bills, warranty down time x days, needlessly restrictive (official) upgradability (thank goodness for unofficial methods)...and yet, we profess our love for these machines and keep running back to them. Pathetic LOL
Old 03-05-2013, 08:07 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Ok, I have to agree, I hate the NAV system in my car. The NAV system in my wife's $30k Honda Accord is WAAAAAAY better, more intuitive, and many more POI's. I am surprised that the 2010's don't natively recognize the iPhone. Funny how BMW has such a close relationship with Apple (note the complete lack of Android "snap in adapters") and yet they are far behind the curve on integration.

BTW, I need to use the 6FL cable to fully integrate my iPod as well - and I have CCC NAV.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:00 AM
Members

Personally, I'm an Android guy, but regardless... Why doesn't the BMW just support Bluetooth streaming of audio? That way you wouldn't have to deal with the akward location of the input, etc. I'd love to keep my phone in my pocket and stream audio files like I do calls!

Quick Reply: You know what grinds my gears? iPod edition.