E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

YIIIPPPEEE - two new problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 09:29 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i 6 speed

It was too quiet - this morning, two new problems surfaces at the same time.

I suddenly have a pretty strong rattle (I can even hear it with the radio on) from the general area of the HUD.

When I tried to start my car this morning, the starter was turning, but the engine didn't fire. It took me a total of 4 attempts and then it suddenly started right away. Anybody had this problem?
Old 11-07-2005, 11:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Awww man...
Old 11-07-2005, 12:14 PM
Senior Members

No on both accounts. I'd head straight to the dealer - especially for the ignition.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:21 PM
Contributors

Well, after work, it started just like it should. So, if I go to my dealer, I know that they will tell me that they cannot reproduce the problem and they will do nothing. The rattle is getting stronger.

Man, am I slowly getting really pissed at this car

All those problems prevent me from having fun with it...
Old 11-07-2005, 04:11 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, Jet Black/Black, Manual, Sport, Logic 7

Originally Posted by drjochen' post='194706' date='Nov 7 2005, 08:29 AM
I suddenly have a pretty strong rattle (I can even hear it with the radio on) from the general area of the HUD.
Before trading in my 04 545i, I was getting an incessant rattling noise from the ignition key assembly. If I held the key tightly while driving, the noise would go away. The dealer replaced part of the ignition assembly but that didn't do the trick. Now, it's the next owner's challenge.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:30 PM
Members

Originally Posted by drjochen' post='194706' date='Nov 7 2005, 02:29 PM
It was too quiet - this morning, two new problems surfaces at the same time.

When I tried to start my car this morning, the starter was turning, but the engine didn't fire. It took me a total of 4 attempts and then it suddenly started right away. Anybody had this problem?
I get a little rattle from the HUD. Just lifting the plastic that covers the driver side stops it from reoccuring for a few hundred miles...
Old 11-11-2005, 04:29 AM
Contributors

I found the rattle and its embarrasing (for me...).
It was a leave hidden underneath the windshield wipers...it cleaned out that area and the rattle is gone.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:39 AM
Members

Originally Posted by drjochen' post='196646' date='Nov 11 2005, 08:29 AM
It was a leave hidden underneath the windshield wipers...it cleaned out that area and the rattle is gone.

I had a similar issue with my M Roadster. I thought FOR SURE there was a rattle coming out of the passenger's side dashboard, but for the life of me, I could not find what it was! It sounded like it was coming from the a-pillar or close to the windshield. Took it to the dealership several times describing the area of the rattle. They taped up cables and connectors, inserted some foam between pieces that looked like they MIGHT touch, nothing. Eventually, they found it..... it was the HOOD! It was slightly misaligned and making the rattling noise, but from inside the car, it sounded like the dash.

Glad you found the rattle , I know how frustrating those noises are and they REALLY are very difficult to pinpoint.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by drjochen' post='196646' date='Nov 11 2005, 08:29 AM
I found the rattle and its embarrasing (for me...).

Tee hee. When my 540 was new, it developed strange thunk that echoed through the passenger side of the car, but sounded as though it was at right rear C-pillar.

Dealer diagnosed and fixed: reattached my right sun visor into its clip above windshield.

Actually we shouldn't be embarrassed about these things; they are a testament to the car's unusually quiet interior.

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 11-11-2005, 06:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Tee hee. When my 540 was new, it developed strange thunk that echoed through the passenger side of the car, but sounded as though it was at right rear C-pillar.

Dealer diagnosed and fixed: reattached my right sun visor into its clip above windshield.

Actually we shouldn't be embarrassed about these things; they are a testament to the car's unusually quiet interior.

Cheers,
Ray Hull
[/quote]

Funny story

Your new 540?? I suppose that was your old E39, what are you driving now? You have no signature!!!

BMW has now built a half million E60's, so one would expect that the "childrens problems" would now be in the past.

Quick Reply: YIIIPPPEEE - two new problems