E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Xenon retrofit...do you need the electronics box alc?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 01:34 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 535i xDrive M-sport

Hi guys,

I am attempting an oem xenon from halogen retrofit following previous post that I have found here on the forum. Thanks for all the information although I have not been completely successful! I am getting a low beam malfunction and the xenon bulb will not turn on. I have all stock ballasts/bulbs/igniters but the headlights are adaptive and I do not have the alc module. Now assuming that the ballasts/bulbs/igniters work properly, do you think I am getting this error because the alc module is missing? I did not think I was going to need it because I knew that this feature was not going to work with my car. All other lights on the headlight unit work properly, angel eyes, blinkers, high beam. I have only attempted this modification on the drivers side, I want to get this right before I move on...any info on this topic will be appreciated!
Old 07-12-2009, 01:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

will need the correct LCM module and the car will need programming as well
Old 07-13-2009, 07:46 AM
Members

My Ride: 07 525i

Originally Posted by 525i//m' post='940237' date='Jul 12 2009, 05:34 PM
Hi guys,

I am attempting an oem xenon from halogen retrofit following previous post that I have found here on the forum. Thanks for all the information although I have not been completely successful! I am getting a low beam malfunction and the xenon bulb will not turn on. I have all stock ballasts/bulbs/igniters but the headlights are adaptive and I do not have the alc module. Now assuming that the ballasts/bulbs/igniters work properly, do you think I am getting this error because the alc module is missing? I did not think I was going to need it because I knew that this feature was not going to work with my car. All other lights on the headlight unit work properly, angel eyes, blinkers, high beam. I have only attempted this modification on the drivers side, I want to get this right before I move on...any info on this topic will be appreciated!
New LCM is not required you can use the old LCM as long as you do not want the adaptive function. You will need a capacitor on the xenon feed line or your lights will flicker. There is an additional ground wire that you need to connect to to the headlight to get the xenons working, have you connected this?
Old 07-13-2009, 07:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 2011 535i xDrive M-sport

Originally Posted by ukamath' post='940811' date='Jul 13 2009, 11:46 AM
New LCM is not required you can use the old LCM as long as you do not want the adaptive function. You will need a capacitor on the xenon feed line or your lights will flicker. There is an additional ground wire that you need to connect to to the headlight to get the xenons working, have you connected this?
LCM...not too sure what that is??? Is it part # 5 on the diagram on this link? The ALC electronic box, that is the part I do not have.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=63&fg=05

I believe the ballast is grounded properly...the thicker brown wire is cut in half, the half coming in from the socket is spliced to the other brown wire and the other end is going to the negative end of the capacitor. The positive end of the capacitor is spliced to the yellow wire....does that sound right?

I tried using two different sets of ballasts/bulbs/igniters with the same result. The problem has to be within the wiring or I need the ALC box (the smaller silver box on the bottom of the headlight)