E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Xenon Lights are white but fog lights are yellow

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 03:32 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed that my fog lights are a shade different than my xenon lights. I know they are supposed to be thyat way, but I was wondering if I could replace my fog light bulbs to match the same color hue of white as the xenons....not a big deal but would like to have the front display the same bright even light in color.

thanks
Old 12-06-2005, 03:47 PM
Members

you can change the color of the light, but you will sacrafice their intended purpose. If you live in an area with heavy fog or bad weather, I would suggest keeping them as yellow as possible. Which would lead me to wonder why you even use them if you don't have the weather for them?
Old 12-06-2005, 04:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by 2004530i' post='208109' date='Dec 6 2005, 07:32 PM
I noticed that my fog lights are a shade different than my xenon lights. I know they are supposed to be thyat way, but I was wondering if I could replace my fog light bulbs to match the same color hue of white as the xenons....not a big deal but would like to have the front display the same bright even light in color.

thanks
Well, 2004, to begin with, I think the fogs are halogen, so they wouldn't be that blue-white associated with Xenons. Secondly, ever laughed at (Ooops meant "marvelled at") a Citroen with yellow headlamps? That's because of Francophile fear of fog; ergo they are required in the land of snails and bottles over pear blossoms. The idea is that they better penetrate the fog. Dunno about that theory, but then I dunno about the efficacy of red instrument lights either...

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 12-06-2005, 04:53 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Search is your friend...this topic has been discussed ad nauseam...
Old 12-06-2005, 05:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 M5 -- Exterior: Silverstone, Interior: Black. Fully Loaded. That just about sums it up! :-)

Originally Posted by 2004530i' post='208109' date='Dec 6 2005, 04:32 PM

thanks
*Yellow* fog lights? Tell your dog to stay away from your car!
Old 12-06-2005, 06:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Click the 4700 PIAA Fogs in my Sig.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='208122

thanks
Well, 2004, to begin with, I think the fogs are halogen, so they wouldn't be that blue-white associated with Xenons. Secondly, ever laughed at (Ooops meant "marvelled at") a Citroen with yellow headlamps? That's because of Francophile fear of fog; ergo they are required in the land of snails and bottles over pear blossoms. The idea is that they better penetrate the fog. Dunno about that theory, but then I dunno about the efficacy of red instrument lights either...

Cheers,
Ray Hull
[/quote]

I have heard that the idea of red instrument because red is a colour people are more aware of ie. colour of stop sign, so they use red for instrument panles. Don't know if that's the case though, but I am use to the red/orange instrument now driving other car with white instrument seems odd.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:56 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xiT, Sep. 2005 build, silver gray/gray/black anthracite, Steptronic, Premium, Premium Sound, NAV, PDC.
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by AC_S5' post='208180
Originally Posted by 2004530i' post='208109' date='Dec 6 2005, 07:32 PM

thanks

Cheers,
Ray Hull
I have heard that the idea of red instrument because red is a colour people are more aware of ie. colour of stop sign, so they use red for instrument panles. Don't know if that's the case though, but I am use to the red/orange instrument now driving other car with white instrument seems odd.
[/quote]

I think the idea behind red instrument illumination is that the color interferes less with your night visiion.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:11 AM
Senior Members

I had blue dial instrumentation in my old VW - fantastic
Old 12-07-2005, 05:15 PM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2008

Hyperwhite bulbs only go so far to match what you are looking to do.

The only "true" solution to matching your Xenons is to go with Xenons on the fogs. Those will run you more, but useable light output, longevity, and of course aesthetics are much improved.

It's going to get tiresome when you have to replace the "hyperwhites" every 3 months.

Quick Reply: Xenon Lights are white but fog lights are yellow