E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Xenon Headlight Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 07:53 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Gone: 2004 525i Jet Black, Built 03/04, Premium Package, Black Dakota Leather, Halogen to Euro Spec Bi-Xenons Retrofit, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Steptronic Breyton Spirit Reps 20x9F 20x10R - Nitto NT555 245/35/20F-275/30/20R, M5 Front Bumper, H&R Sport Springs, Chrome Grills, 20% Tint, Euro Reflectors, Debadged, Aux Input, CIP v19.x
Thumbs up

Quick question,

There's a "xenon adjustment" opening on top of each headlight. My question is: What exactly does it adjust? I've searched the manual and forum and found nothing. TIA
Old 03-15-2006, 09:26 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Busta,

Go to any mechanic shop which is licensed for performing headlight adjustment, and they'll do it for you. They have some kind of apeture to help them adjusting headlight.
To find nearest shop around you, go to this website and search for Lamp station nearest you.

Best Regards
Old 03-15-2006, 10:25 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 535d SE Touring Silver Grey / Beige Dakota Media Pack (Pro Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Cd Changer, BMW Assist) Visibility Pack (Bi Xenons, Hedlight wash, Adaptive headlights)

Originally Posted by Busta' post='255456' date='Mar 15 2006, 11:53 PM
Quick question,

There's a "xenon adjustment" opening on top of each headlight. My question is: What exactly does it adjust? I've searched the manual and forum and found nothing. TIA
On UK cars it is used to adjust the dip (lo-beam) lights for driving on the right when going to mainland Europe. Push one way from driving on right, push back for driving on left. have no idea if this is the case in the US, but would guess they use the same basic lights...

Peter
Old 03-15-2006, 11:35 PM
Contributors

Hi Busta,

Those are for adjusting the light pattern when one drives to a country where they drive on the other side of the road. The reason we don't have any reference to those adjusters in our US owner's manuals is that the US headlights don't have those adjustments. BMW correctly assumed that from the US we can't drive to a country where they drive on the left side of the road, so they did not bother putting those adjusters in the US headlights. However, since the lights you got from me are the European ones they do have the adjusters. If you look at the German or UK manuals in the info section of this forum you can find a section that shows the adjusters and which position to put them in.

What I do not understand is that the manuals say to push the levers towards the center of the car if you drive on the right side of the road (like in the US). This would put the metal flap in one of the headlights in the lower postion (which would project the typical "wide V" shaped pattern) while the flap in the other headlight is held in the top position (which would project a flat light pattern). All my past cars with Euro headlights definately had the "wide V" pattern on both headlights, and as far as I remember my current cars with the newer US headlights have that pattern on both headlights as well. That is why I set the levers in the positions that they were in before you picked up the headlights the other day.

If you want to be sure you can ask someone in Germany or another country in mainland Europe (where they have Left Hand Drive cars and drive on the right side of the road ) to check their Xenon headlights. They should check both the left and right headlight and see which side the levers below the little windows/caps are set to.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Please PeterS fill in your whereabouts on "Your Controls",
even if we know that the SE 60's only occure in the UK.

I have been interested also about the Xenon adjustment,
I feel that they are setting is too low.

But at this point the day is getting longer than the night overhere,
so the problem also did go a half year ahead...
Old 03-16-2006, 12:58 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 535d SE Touring Silver Grey / Beige Dakota Media Pack (Pro Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Cd Changer, BMW Assist) Visibility Pack (Bi Xenons, Hedlight wash, Adaptive headlights)

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='255797' date='Mar 16 2006, 03:46 PM
Please PeterS fill in your whereabouts on "Your Controls",
even if we know that the SE 60's only occure in the UK.
Sorry! Now updated....

Peter
Old 03-16-2006, 07:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Gone: 2004 525i Jet Black, Built 03/04, Premium Package, Black Dakota Leather, Halogen to Euro Spec Bi-Xenons Retrofit, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Steptronic Breyton Spirit Reps 20x9F 20x10R - Nitto NT555 245/35/20F-275/30/20R, M5 Front Bumper, H&R Sport Springs, Chrome Grills, 20% Tint, Euro Reflectors, Debadged, Aux Input, CIP v19.x

thanks for the replies.

I kind of went by feeling (my FOV) when I adjusted them, I set it to right/right it seems to be the best combination as far as distance of the beam and direction/visibility. I would appreciate a german spec E60 member to post what they have it set at.