E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

WTH! Two unknown alarms.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, Silber-grau/grau. Vanilla flavored except for cold WX pkg.

Just finished a 2100 mile trip to SoCA last week and received these two alarms. Fortunately both were innocuous. The 545i performed admirably throughout the trip.

1. While travelling the 210 (Foothill) Fwy in LA, there was no gong or yellow triangle but the iDrive screen displayed the single word "Poison." Does the microfilter system have a Carbon Dioxide or Monoxide detector? Traffic was light so it must have been the San Gabriel Valley air.

2. Returning through the Mt. Shasta area early on a chilly morning the gong sounded with the yellow triangle with a snowflake inside! The iDrive screen said "Outside temperature less than 37 degrees."
37 degrees? What is the significance of that temp? How do I adjust it to something meaningful like 32 degrees or even 28 degrees when the road surface starts to freeze?

I have searched the archives (an exercise in frustration) and my manual and cannot find anything about these alarms.

I feel confident there are some gurus out there who can explain this.

TIA
Old 10-13-2009, 07:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 2020 530e xDrive
Model Year: 2020
Engine: Hybrid

Originally Posted by Curmudgeon' post='1031814' date='Oct 13 2009, 07:34 PM
Just finished a 2100 mile trip to SoCA last week and received these two alarms. Fortunately both were innocuous. The 545i performed admirably throughout the trip.

1. While travelling the 210 (Foothill) Fwy in LA, there was no gong or yellow triangle but the iDrive screen displayed the single word "Poison." Does the microfilter system have a Carbon Dioxide or Monoxide detector? Traffic was light so it must have been the San Gabriel Valley air.

2. Returning through the Mt. Shasta area early on a chilly morning the gong sounded with the yellow triangle with a snowflake inside! The iDrive screen said "Outside temperature less than 37 degrees."
37 degrees? What is the significance of that temp? How do I adjust it to something meaningful like 32 degrees or even 28 degrees when the road surface starts to freeze?

I have searched the archives (an exercise in frustration) and my manual and cannot find anything about these alarms.

I feel confident there are some gurus out there who can explain this.

TIA
Not sure about the first one, unless maybe that was the artist on the Radio Data

The 37 degree warning is for when roads can be potentially icy, especially on bridges and overpasses. Even though the temperature is not below freezing, moisture from the air can be released at the cooler temperatures and turn into ice relatively quickly.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:47 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 540i
Model Year: 2017

There is a sensor and it's only a guess that it generated your "Poison" warning. According to the manual the AUC automatic air recirculation button has to be in AUC mode (right LED on) for the system
to automatically shut off outside air.
Glad to hear your 545 performed like a champ!

Sensor for automatic air-recirculation control (IHKA High only)
The AUC sensor is installed at the top of the fan cowl. The sensor is exposed to the sideways downwind from the auxiliary
fan. The AUC sensor detects the following pollutant emissions from spark-ignition and diesel engines:
? Hydrocarbons (HC)
? Carbon monoxide (CO)
? Nitric oxides (nitrogen monoxide NO, nitrogen dioxide NO2)
Old 10-13-2009, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

most likely you were driving thru the recently burned areas of so cal and that caused the poor air quality and the "poison" warning...
Old 10-13-2009, 10:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Yeah my wifes 3 does that and my old 5 did that as well, 37 degrees gives you a heads up, 32 would be too late as a warning
Old 10-14-2009, 03:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Silber-grau/grau. Vanilla flavored except for cold WX pkg.

Originally Posted by martattack' post='1031862' date='Oct 13 2009, 08:47 PM
The 37 degree warning is for when roads can be potentially icy, especially on bridges and overpasses. Even though the temperature is not below freezing, moisture from the air can be released at the cooler temperatures and turn into ice relatively quickly.
Ah yes, I had forgotten about overpasses. Thanks to all for excellent responses.