E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

WTH!! Dynamic Function Malfunction??

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so the mrs and I are going out earlier this evening and a few minutes into the drive a great big red error with exclamation point pops-up "Dynamic Function Malfunction"

The icon was a car tilting to the left with an exclamation point to the right of the car and a two way arrow over the car too...Further explanation from the car says don't take corners fast and I forget what else..

Got the car home and arranged for a tow to the dealer tomorrow..Go back out to the car an hour or so later, start it up -- no error...

Drive it around the block --- no error

Go into Idrive do a system check, everthing fine..

WTH?!
Old 01-02-2009, 06:56 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Was there a sudden temperature drop? Was it super frigid? The same thing happened to me last winter. I parked to go in for a dental appointment after work and the temp dropped quite a bit as the sun set. So, it was too late to call the dealer. Anyway, I put the car in the garage and the next morning, the message was gone. I called the dealer and an SA told me that moisture can freeze and/or extreme cold can temporarily disable the sensors under certain circumstances. It hasn't happened since.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:14 PM
Members

Originally Posted by CWS530' post='758097' date='Jan 2 2009, 09:56 PM
Was there a sudden temperature drop? Was it super frigid? The same thing happened to me last winter. I parked to go in for a dental appointment after work and the temp dropped quite a bit as the sun set. So, it was too late to call the dealer. Anyway, I put the car in the garage and the next morning, the message was gone. I called the dealer and an SA told me that moisture can freeze and/or extreme cold can temporarily disable the sensors under certain circumstances. It hasn't happened since.
Hmmm - 0 degrees this morning about 19 out now. Car was in the garage though so the temp swing was not as extreme.

That said, it could very well be the same issue

I'll talk to the SA tomorrow morning..Thanks for chiming-in with your experience. I appreciate it.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 550i with SP, Nav, Logic7

Originally Posted by midwest bmw' post='758095' date='Jan 2 2009, 10:46 PM
Ok, so the mrs and I are going out earlier this evening and a few minutes into the drive a great big red error with exclamation point pops-up "Dynamic Function Malfunction"

The icon was a car tilting to the left with an exclamation point to the right of the car and a two way arrow over the car too...Further explanation from the car says don't take corners fast and I forget what else..

Got the car home and arranged for a tow to the dealer tomorrow..Go back out to the car an hour or so later, start it up -- no error...

Happened to me a couple of times before. Like you said, the message went away after I restarted the car.

Initially, the dealer said they found the faulty code and fixed it but the problem persisted. Finally, it was determined that a bad steering wheel sensor caused the faulty message. Everything has been good after they replaced it.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Sports, Premium and dynamic packages

Hi Midwest BMW,
I had the same problem with my car back in Nov., it was on and off, I kind of ignored it for a while (8 days) next thing I started getting an ABS warning as well. Took car to dealership and sure enough they found a faulty code and I will quote bellow what was written on my discharge paperwork "alternator putting out high voltage integrated fault memory and found coes 5DD-DSC control module over voltage. 5D61 ARS voltage supply over voltage, I found voltage flunctuations, checked alternator while vehicle was running and found voltage spikes of 16-17 volts. I removed and replaced alternator. After replacement DSC and ARS calibrations were needed. I performed ARS start up procedure. After ARS start up procedure I performed active front steering calibration"

My suggestion, take it to the dealership do not ignore those codes, I've learned, and besides once the code appear in the idrive it stores in memory so all they have to do is to plug in and and all the codes will come up even if its not showing at time that you take to the shop. As I said same thing happened to mine just like yours...make the appointment!

Good luck!
PS: My boyfriend's best friend is the shop manager at a BMW dealership so I bug him quite often since we both own BMW's and he always gives us heads up!
Old 01-03-2009, 05:21 AM
Members

Originally Posted by valfernandes' post='758197' date='Jan 3 2009, 12:10 AM
Hi Midwest BMW,
I had the same problem with my car back in Nov., it was on and off, I kind of ignored it for a while (8 days) next thing I started getting an ABS warning as well. Took car to dealership and sure enough they found a faulty code and I will quote bellow what was written on my discharge paperwork "alternator putting out high voltage integrated fault memory and found coes 5DD-DSC control module over voltage. 5D61 ARS voltage supply over voltage, I found voltage flunctuations, checked alternator while vehicle was running and found voltage spikes of 16-17 volts. I removed and replaced alternator. After replacement DSC and ARS calibrations were needed. I performed ARS start up procedure. After ARS start up procedure I performed active front steering calibration"

My suggestion, take it to the dealership do not ignore those codes, I've learned, and besides once the code appear in the idrive it stores in memory so all they have to do is to plug in and and all the codes will come up even if its not showing at time that you take to the shop. As I said same thing happened to mine just like yours...make the appointment!

Good luck!
PS: My boyfriend's best friend is the shop manager at a BMW dealership so I bug him quite often since we both own BMW's and he always gives us heads up!

Thanks again everyone - definitely want the fault codes found & interpreted by dealer..
Old 01-03-2009, 05:30 AM
Members

Originally Posted by midwest bmw' post='758095' date='Jan 2 2009, 11:46 PM

WTH?!

Same thing happened to me when I picked my car up during ED. The morning I was to drop off the car I got this message. You can imagine being in Munich at 7:00 am with this ominous message on a brand new car, no one to contact, few who spoke english, rush hour traffic, and a flight leaving in a few hours. Not a fun experience. In the end, it was just a loss of some power steering fluid. The power steering fluid is also used by the Active Roll Stabilization system (and maybe other systems as well though I don't know). It seems when they built the car they didn't tighten one of the hoses. 38k miles now and no problems since. Could be that you have a leak or that you're simply low on PS fluid and the temperature difference is causing it to trip the sensor when cold.

I really wished they'd managed to work the phrase "low power steering fluid level" somewhere into the message before they scared the $#!+ out of me with red text, exclamation points, and warnings to not drive the car.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:42 AM
Contributors

Malfunction Function, whats your function?