E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Worth getting extended warranty on a CDN 2008 535i?
Yes
68.75%
No
31.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Is it worth getting extended warranty on 2008 535i?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 01:40 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i Sport Pak

If the warranty has not expired and is transferable, it may add value to the car at resale time or at least make it easier to sell.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

Originally Posted by Steveo
I vote no because of the list below - I own a 2008 535i
You have a fully forged engine - BMW switched to cast pistons and shafts at some point around 2009. The 2008 2009 n54 is arguably one of the best built.

Most common parts that may go bad on 2008 535
turbo seals
Has not been linked to turbo, oil, or otherwise; some can fix by switching oils. Can affect brand new turbos- You can buy stock turbos for $600. Put them on yourself if you have access to lift, or pay a shop a few hundred. You can get aftermarket turbos for $2500-$3500 that are good to 20+ PSI.
Stock DP Cats
These may burn out if you run meth for any period time - I want catless dps anyway......
HPFP
Covered for 120000 miles easy and cheap to replace
Stock Coils
Go bad often, especially if running tune - I have a spare set of 6 that were free from take offs. They are $60 each
Injectors
Not super common, but if the car did not get the new ones yet, they need to be changed. They are cheap and easy to do yourself. Downside is you have to have them coded
Sensors in the trunk
Cheap and easy to move into the drivers side wheel well. Damage is from water getting into the trunk. 5 minutes and it is remedied saving you thousands.
Wastegate actuator rattle
Seems to affect 3 series more than 1 or 5. Can be fixed by adjusting wastegate usually. Some aftermarket fixes available. Dealer will want to swap the turbos.
VANOS sensor - not covered under CPO warranty considered a wearable item
Easy and cheap to replace. Can be cleaned and reused in some cases.
Intake gumming from direct injection - not covered under warranty
Needs to be done 50k-60k miles. Find a shop that does walnut cleaning. The intake valves get gummed up from Blow by. Just part of the direct injection design and the EPA regulations.
Oil Filter housing gasket
Not covered - considered a wear item. It is cheap and easy to replace. The turbo engines get very very hot. One downside is it torches this gasket which sits against the block.

I would say that list covers 90% of the problems with the cars. Other items are random. As you can see it is a VERY short list. Half the items are turbo related and the turbos are not that expensive, but the install is. Nearly everything listed above has fixes documented and for the most part the N54 is not a very hard engine to work on at all.

Buy it, tune it, add meth, and enjoy it. Save the warranty money for something else, or for upgraded turbos.

BTW if you really want to get a consensus on the engine and car, this is not the best forum to read. There are forums out there with people who work on their own cars, don't buy warranties, and don't sell their soul to BMW. Find one of those and peruse it. You will feel much better about that car. When i was shopping I was terrified of the turbo car because of this forum. Everything in it reads like the car is a POS. Most of the cars in here are non forced induction or V8s, and 2/3 the post are about how to put M-parts or M wheels on a slow car. Many topics won't even apply to that car.

Wow. This should be stickied. I am on 80k miles and have had not many issues. I would say go for it if you plan to keep the car for another few years. If you are keeping it 1-2 years, then maybe not.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:33 PM
Members

"
BTW if you really want to get a consensus on the engine and car, this is not the best forum to read. There are forums out there with people who work on their own cars, don't buy warranties, and don't sell their soul to BMW. Find one of those and peruse it. You will feel much better about that car. When i was shopping I was terrified of the turbo car because of this forum. Everything in it reads like the car is a POS. Most of the cars in here are non forced induction or V8s, and 2/3 the post are about how to put M-parts or M wheels on a slow car. Many topics won't even apply to that car. "

+1
Old 09-21-2011, 07:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i | Black Sapphire | Black Nasca Leather | Sport Package | Heads Up Display | Navigation | Lane Departure Warning | Electric Rear Sunshade | Logic 7 Sound System | USB audio | Heated Rear Seats | Ventilated Seats | Picked up: February 25, 2008

Originally Posted by Steveo
HPFP
Covered for 120000 miles easy and cheap to replace
Stock Coils
Go bad often, especially if running tune - I have a spare set of 6 that were free from take offs. They are $60 each
Injectors
Not super common, but if the car did not get the new ones yet, they need to be changed. They are cheap and easy to do yourself. Downside is you have to have them coded
Wastegate actuator rattle
Seems to affect 3 series more than 1 or 5. Can be fixed by adjusting wastegate usually. Some aftermarket fixes available. Dealer will want to swap the turbos.
VANOS sensor - not covered under CPO warranty considered a wearable item
Easy and cheap to replace. Can be cleaned and reused in some cases.
Intake gumming from direct injection - not covered under warranty
Needs to be done 50k-60k miles. Find a shop that does walnut cleaning. The intake valves get gummed up from Blow by. Just part of the direct injection design and the EPA regulations.
Oil Filter housing gasket
Not covered - considered a wear item. It is cheap and easy to replace. The turbo engines get very very hot. One downside is it torches this gasket which sits against the block.

Buy it, tune it, add meth, and enjoy it. Save the warranty money for something else, or for upgraded turbos.

BTW if you really want to get a consensus on the engine and car, this is not the best forum to read. There are forums out there with people who work on their own cars, don't buy warranties, and don't sell their soul to BMW. Find one of those and peruse it. You will feel much better about that car. When i was shopping I was terrified of the turbo car because of this forum. Everything in it reads like the car is a POS. Most of the cars in here are non forced induction or V8s, and 2/3 the post are about how to put M-parts or M wheels on a slow car. Many topics won't even apply to that car.
Sorry for being a n00b. Some questions and comments:

HPFP - I called in BMW NA and they said based on my VIN, my car isn't affected but if I have the dealer take a look at my HPFP and they deem it to be similar, it could be added to the "list" and the extended warranty on that part will apply. Now I gotta make a trip there.

Stock Coils - What's "running tune"? How do I know this is shot/broken? I do notice if I go over a bump, say a curb, it makes this bump sound that almost sounds as if it rattled for a split second

As for the rest, how do I know when to change injectors, wastegate actuator rattle, VANOS sensor, intake gumming from direct injection, and oil filter housing gasket?

LOL, I had no idea about this forum. I only stuck with it since our family purchased the 535i cuz of it's clean UI. I suppose I'll check out other forums.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:24 AM
Members

Originally Posted by cuto
Sorry for being a n00b. Some questions and comments:

HPFP - I called in BMW NA and they said based on my VIN, my car isn't affected but if I have the dealer take a look at my HPFP and they deem it to be similar, it could be added to the "list" and the extended warranty on that part will apply. Now I gotta make a trip there.
Typical BMW BS.....all and any of the N54 high pressure and sometimes low pressure pumps are affected. The latest pump has been proving itself. I have it and have not had any issues, codes, or anything and I am running 17 pounds of boost.
Stock Coils - What's "running tune"? How do I know this is shot/broken? I do notice if I go over a bump, say a curb, it makes this bump sound that almost sounds as if it rattled for a split second
You will know it....you will get a check engine light and the car will shake like it's got a monster cam in it. It is safe to drive. The ECU shuts off the affected cylinder causing the shake.

A tune is an aftermarket part to "tune" the car for more power and torque. Some models are JB4, Vishnu, and Cobb (new to the N54). The Cobb is a true non-techincal install. JB4 made by burger tuning has been proven with many more cars in the 11's than the other two to date.

I run a JB4 with integrated meth.
As for the rest, how do I know when to change injectors, wastegate actuator rattle, VANOS sensor, intake gumming from direct injection, and oil filter housing gasket?
VANOS throws a code, wastegates you can hear - sounds like a coin tapping on a table, injectors throw code - car shakes, the intake is going to be gummed at 50k - negotiate to have the intake cleaned at the dealer - there is a BMW procedure for it, oil filter gasket leaks - looks like the head gasket.

LOL, I had no idea about this forum. I only stuck with it since our family purchased the 535i cuz of it's clean UI. I suppose I'll check out other forums.
PM me and I'll give you some links. I'm not going to post them in here because it's slightly off topic.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:09 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Look at it this way:

Can you afford to make a $600 monthly payment (assuming you bought used and have good credit) and a repair payment that can cost at least 1k simultaneously?

If your answer is yes then you don't have to worry about an extended warranty.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:26 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pukka
Look at it this way:

Can you afford to make a $600 monthly payment (assuming you bought used and have good credit) and a repair payment that can cost at least 1k simultaneously?

If your answer is yes then you don't have to worry about an extended warranty.
^Good example.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

HPFP - I called in BMW NA and they said based on my VIN, my car isn't affected but if I have the dealer take a look at my HPFP and they deem it to be similar, it could be added to the "list" and the extended warranty on that part will apply. Now I gotta make a trip there. .
I was told by the dealer that my car was not on the list and then a month later I got the recall notice in the mail. My car was running fine and continues to run fine after the replacement of the HPFP. I wouldn't make a special trip unless you notice problems. BMW Canada seems to be spreading the notices out to ease the workload in the service centres.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:51 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 535i sapphire blk

I am facing the same problem!!!!! I just got some advise from a autobody shop!!! I think I going to get a quote today~~
Old 09-30-2011, 04:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Get the warranty. BMW are a fortune to fix. One major repair could easily exceed the price of the warranty.

Quick Reply: Is it worth getting extended warranty on 2008 535i?