E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Worth getting extended warranty on a CDN 2008 535i?
Yes
68.75%
No
31.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Is it worth getting extended warranty on 2008 535i?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 06:57 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i | Black Sapphire | Black Nasca Leather | Sport Package | Heads Up Display | Navigation | Lane Departure Warning | Electric Rear Sunshade | Logic 7 Sound System | USB audio | Heated Rear Seats | Ventilated Seats | Picked up: February 25, 2008

My dad and I are a bit undecided and wondering what are the forums' thoughts if we should consider purchasing another 2 years/140,000km-160,000km of extended warranty from our dealership for another ~$4000CAD. Currently, we got about 2500km left before the original warranty is over. As of now, there aren't many major faults with our particular car, other than the rough starts which we discovered to be the HPFP and was replaced/repaired. Now the rough starts are coming back on and off so maybe we'll get that checked out before our original warranty runs out.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I voted no, based on the fact that in the U.S. they extended the warranty on the HPFP anyway, so the part that's most likely to fail is covered for an extended period anyway. Extended policy might cost so much money for a decent one, that it just makes sense to put that same money into an account and keep it as a form of self-insurance. But you know, at your own risk, of course, so I wouldn't necessarily insist my way is the best way, just because it works for me so far... either way, good luck!
Old 09-20-2011, 07:59 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i | Black Sapphire | Black Nasca Leather | Sport Package | Heads Up Display | Navigation | Lane Departure Warning | Electric Rear Sunshade | Logic 7 Sound System | USB audio | Heated Rear Seats | Ventilated Seats | Picked up: February 25, 2008

Oh really? How can I find out if the HFPF is also covered through a separate extended warranty in Canada?
Old 09-20-2011, 09:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

Check with your dealer. My SA told me the HPFP warranty is for 10 years and I believe 160,000km.? Judging by the forums the problem is solved or at least lessened.
Regarding warranty, $4000 seems like a lot of dough to spend up front when the car has been pretty good up until now. The extended warranty is not a bumper to bumper version.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by cuto
Oh really? How can I find out if the HFPF is also covered through a separate extended warranty in Canada?
I'm guessing it was extended for all N54 engines on ALL North American markets, but you should definitely check with your local dealer - and make sure you ask someone who actually knows
Old 09-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

My dad and I are a bit undecided and wondering what are the forums' thoughts if we should consider purchasing another 2 years/140,000km-160,000km of extended warranty from our dealership for another ~$4000CAD. Currently, we got about 2500km left before the original warranty is over. As of now, there aren't many major faults with our particular car, other than the rough starts which we discovered to be the HPFP and was replaced/repaired. Now the rough starts are coming back on and off so maybe we'll get that checked out before our original warranty runs out.

DO IT!!! I was hestitant to buy the extended warrany myself. Im glad i did! At 51k miles i had oil leaking from my left turbo! Dealer replaced the entire discharge pipe assembly and few other parts. Total cost was roughly 3k, i only paid $100 deductible. Recently my 535 had an engine malfunction and reduced power warning. It went away after i restarted but im still taking it in to get checked out. If it turns out to be an issue i know im covered! As are as the high pressure fuel pump and fuel injectors, those will be replaced for free due to the recall.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

You can ask the dealer to pull your vehicles info via the VIN or you can do an internet search on "how to determine if your high pressure fuel pump has been replaced" something along those lines, you get the point. I did this search several months back and came across a document showing me where bmw puts the recall accomplished sticker (dont know what its called) under the hood. My HPFP recall accomplished sticker was placed on the bottom side of my hood to the rear left when facing the car.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:44 AM
Members
Senior Members

I say do it if coming up with the cash for a costly repair will set you back financially. Knowing BMW even if your pumps are covered, they will find a way to deny repair by blaming the malfunction on a part that's not covered. BMW does not believe in accountability.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:04 AM
Members

I am thinking about getting extended warranty when mine comes up in June 2013.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:38 AM
Members

I vote no because of the list below - I own a 2008 535i
You have a fully forged engine - BMW switched to cast pistons and shafts at some point around 2009. The 2008 2009 n54 is arguably one of the best built.

Most common parts that may go bad on 2008 535
turbo seals
Has not been linked to turbo, oil, or otherwise; some can fix by switching oils. Can affect brand new turbos- You can buy stock turbos for $600. Put them on yourself if you have access to lift, or pay a shop a few hundred. You can get aftermarket turbos for $2500-$3500 that are good to 20+ PSI.
Stock DP Cats
These may burn out if you run meth for any period time - I want catless dps anyway......
HPFP
Covered for 120000 miles easy and cheap to replace
Stock Coils
Go bad often, especially if running tune - I have a spare set of 6 that were free from take offs. They are $60 each
Injectors
Not super common, but if the car did not get the new ones yet, they need to be changed. They are cheap and easy to do yourself. Downside is you have to have them coded
Sensors in the trunk
Cheap and easy to move into the drivers side wheel well. Damage is from water getting into the trunk. 5 minutes and it is remedied saving you thousands.
Wastegate actuator rattle
Seems to affect 3 series more than 1 or 5. Can be fixed by adjusting wastegate usually. Some aftermarket fixes available. Dealer will want to swap the turbos.
VANOS sensor - not covered under CPO warranty considered a wearable item
Easy and cheap to replace. Can be cleaned and reused in some cases.
Intake gumming from direct injection - not covered under warranty
Needs to be done 50k-60k miles. Find a shop that does walnut cleaning. The intake valves get gummed up from Blow by. Just part of the direct injection design and the EPA regulations.
Oil Filter housing gasket
Not covered - considered a wear item. It is cheap and easy to replace. The turbo engines get very very hot. One downside is it torches this gasket which sits against the block.

I would say that list covers 90% of the problems with the cars. Other items are random. As you can see it is a VERY short list. Half the items are turbo related and the turbos are not that expensive, but the install is. Nearly everything listed above has fixes documented and for the most part the N54 is not a very hard engine to work on at all.

Buy it, tune it, add meth, and enjoy it. Save the warranty money for something else, or for upgraded turbos.

BTW if you really want to get a consensus on the engine and car, this is not the best forum to read. There are forums out there with people who work on their own cars, don't buy warranties, and don't sell their soul to BMW. Find one of those and peruse it. You will feel much better about that car. When i was shopping I was terrified of the turbo car because of this forum. Everything in it reads like the car is a POS. Most of the cars in here are non forced induction or V8s, and 2/3 the post are about how to put M-parts or M wheels on a slow car. Many topics won't even apply to that car.

Quick Reply: Is it worth getting extended warranty on 2008 535i?