E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Is It Worth It??

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 06:21 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d Eccelsa, 05 2005 (built 12-04), sapphireblack, beige dakota leather, electric seats, poplar wood trim, sport suspension, 124 style 18" alloys, differentiated f/r runflat tyres, steptronic, adaptive light control, bi-xenon, BMW PRO nav, cd, cd changer, electric-foldable and automatic antidazzle rear mirrors, automatic antidazzle internal rear mirror, adjustable central armrest, BT, Hifi Professional LOGIC7 , extended functions aircon, full lighting package, green comfort fascia on windshield, PDC park distance control, voice control, CPT9000 car phone, BMW Assist, BMW On-line, BMW Tracking, alarm system, programmable remote controls.

Originally Posted by skaffa' date='Jul 20 2005, 03:54 AM
Had zero problems. ...with I-drive. But very little gadgets.

But now some belt start to shriek in engine bay. Hope that it's minor issue.

Skaffa
[snapback]150982[/snapback]
Skaffa,

putting 98 HP on top of the 218 ponies of your original BMW 3.0d engine definetely justifies some minor noise coming up from the engine bay! I guess why it didn't blow up earlier!

Cheers
Old 07-20-2005, 08:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Jul 20 2005, 05:46 AM
Believe me you get some sort of bugs with every brand of car, no exceptions !!!
Are you kidding?

I've owned 2 Acuras and 3 Lexus and none of them ever had a single thing go wrong, period. I just took them in for routine oil changes and maintenance as suggested by the dealer. Aside from replacing wear & tear items such as tires, brake pads, and belts @ 90,000 miles... perfect track records on all those cars.

BMW quality control people should go take lessons in Japan. I've had more problems in 6 months of ownership on my E60 than the rest of my cars in my lifetime combined.

But.... boy does it drive great.
[snapback]151097[/snapback]
I owned acuras for 13 years and they are very good cars but I had problems here and there. Nothing major. In my last 2.5 years as a BMW owner spanning 2 different cars, I have had one problem-- a check engine light that required a sensor replaced. Simple. The point is, your experience doesn't necessarily reflect the brand as a whole.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 550745540

I agree that reliability/durability is important. But it's not number one with me. If it was I'd be driving a Lexus. Had no real problems with my last couple of Bimmers. Sure, minor nigling issues that have been promptly handled by dealer with great service. That's why I'm looking to step into a new 5. If I'd had some bad experience it might make me think twice but ultimately my car's gotta do what I demand of it. And for these prices, I demand a lot. For me, the ultimate is the driving experience. If it's not there I don't want. Bimmers have it!
Old 07-20-2005, 09:24 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't say anything too soon. Just wait until problem arise like SpdRcr and people would say something about BMW quality and BMW dealer service.

So far BMW and BMW dealer share 50-50 in term of "bad BMW quality". BMW is some quality issue, but BMW dealers deny to fix the problem. That causes some BMW owner frustrated and go for other brand like Lexus.

Lexus is the one getting BMW, Jaguar, Audi, Mercedes, etc. dropout customers. Gradually, Lexus will be getting more customers.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

I have had very few quality control problems and have been very happy with my car - maybe I am just lucky. I think a lot of the problems that most people are seeing are due to a lack of durability testing time/engineering and releasing the car before it was ready:

Tires - Dunlop problem but should have shown up in durability testing
Door seals - should have shown up in durability testing
Software - should have shown up in durability testing
New Software releases - BMW is releasing s/w as fast as they change it without doing proper testing. Fix the problems, test them, then release it. We should not see a new version every month.
Transmission slam - not enough engineering time to work out the bugs.
Valve issues with Valvetronic - seeing problems that are not necessarily quality but engineering.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:25 AM
Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Jul 20 2005, 08:46 AM
Believe me you get some sort of bugs with every brand of car, no exceptions !!!
Are you kidding?

I've owned 2 Acuras and 3 Lexus and none of them ever had a single thing go wrong, period. I just took them in for routine oil changes and maintenance as suggested by the dealer. Aside from replacing wear & tear items such as tires, brake pads, and belts @ 90,000 miles... perfect track records on all those cars.

BMW quality control people should go take lessons in Japan. I've had more problems in 6 months of ownership on my E60 than the rest of my cars in my lifetime combined.

But.... boy does it drive great.
subterFUSE,
i recently purchased a 525xi in titanium gray and it took me a long time to decide on the colour. IF you could now, would you have chosen a different colour? How has it been so far? It would be great to hear from you, thanks.
Cant wait till it comes in

cheers,
jack
Old 07-20-2005, 12:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Eccelsa, 05 2005 (built 12-04), sapphireblack, beige dakota leather, electric seats, poplar wood trim, sport suspension, 124 style 18" alloys, differentiated f/r runflat tyres, steptronic, adaptive light control, bi-xenon, BMW PRO nav, cd, cd changer, electric-foldable and automatic antidazzle rear mirrors, automatic antidazzle internal rear mirror, adjustable central armrest, BT, Hifi Professional LOGIC7 , extended functions aircon, full lighting package, green comfort fascia on windshield, PDC park distance control, voice control, CPT9000 car phone, BMW Assist, BMW On-line, BMW Tracking, alarm system, programmable remote controls.

Originally Posted by jsal' date='Jul 20 2005, 07:05 PM
I have had very few quality control problems and have been very happy with my car - maybe I am just lucky.? I think a lot of the problems that most people are seeing are due to a lack of durability testing time/engineering and releasing the car before it was ready:

Tires - Dunlop problem but should have shown up in durability testing
Door seals - should have shown up in durability testing
Software - should have shown up in durability testing
New Software releases - BMW is releasing s/w as fast as they change it without doing proper testing.? Fix the problems, test them, then release it.? We should not see a new version every month.
Transmission slam - not enough engineering time to work out the bugs.
Valve issues with Valvetronic - seeing problems that are not necessarily quality but engineering.
[snapback]151202[/snapback]
In principle I agree with you but what make me unhappy is to discover, day after day, that this car is simply DESIGNED and built to be cheaper than the old E39, exploiting to the maximum the "design to cost" philosophy. Probably this philosophy allowed BMW to increase the technical content of the car without increasing too much the final price to the customer, but, where the E39 was a real "no compromise" car, with a design and assembling quality at the top of the world industry, the E60 has A LOT of compromises.
Study carefully your car and you'll agree with me. All the new products from BMW are designed along the same pattern: more fashion, more technics and electronics but cheaper solutions and materials where they are not so apparent to the customers.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

subterFUSE,
i recently purchased a 525xi in titanium gray and it took me a long time to decide on the colour. IF you could now, would you have chosen a different colour? How has it been so far? It would be great to hear from you, thanks.
Cant wait till it comes in?

cheers,
jack

Never. Ti Gray is my favorite E60 color. Few people here in the USA get it, and it's wicked looking.

I get stares everywhere I go. Especially at the BMW dealer, where the sales people almost break their necks just turning to look. They hardly get any 545s there, and almost never see a Ti Gray.... and as far as I know, I'm the only person in Orlando with the M-tech kit.

My only regret is that the new M5 doesn't come in Ti Gray... My name is on the list for an M5, but I'll have to get it in Interlagos Blue. But if it comes in Ti Gray, I'll get that instead.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:56 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i silver

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Jul 20 2005, 08:46 AM
BMW quality control people should go take lessons in Japan.? I've had more problems in 6 months of ownership on my E60 than the rest of my cars in my lifetime combined.

But....?? boy does it drive great.??

I couldn't possibly agree with you more.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Originally Posted by Lucky' date='Jul 20 2005, 05:21 PM
[quote name='skaffa' date='Jul 20 2005, 03:54 AM']Had zero problems. ...with I-drive. But very little gadgets.

But now some belt start to shriek in engine bay. Hope that it's minor issue.

Skaffa
[snapback]150982[/snapback]
Skaffa,

putting 98 HP on top of the 218 ponies of your original BMW 3.0d engine definetely justifies some minor noise coming up from the engine bay! I guess why it didn't blow up earlier!

Cheers
[snapback]151113[/snapback]
[/quote]

Are You trying to mock me?

Maybe I was not accurate in my statement. BELT is making noise. I don't see connection between power upgrade and belt wearing/damage.

Very...

Skaffa

Quick Reply: Is It Worth It??