E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Woodgrain cracked?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 01:14 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 530i Oriental Blue Metalic Beige InteriorPremium PackageCold Weather Package

Hey guys I have a 2005 530i and around central NY the last couple days have been below zero. I leave work today and the woodgrain on the dashboard in front of the passanger seat was cracked all the way across. Now its not a deep crack its more like a scratch but its definately noticeable and wasn't there in the morning. Has anyone ever heard something like this happen? I called the dealership and they said they have never heard about it and probably wouldnt replace it under warranty. Can someone help me out here and give me some advice?
Old 02-05-2007, 02:03 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by Sam the BMW man' post='387776' date='Feb 5 2007, 11:14 PM
Hey guys I have a 2005 530i and around central NY the last couple days have been below zero. I leave work today and the woodgrain on the dashboard in front of the passanger seat was cracked all the way across. Now its not a deep crack its more like a scratch but its definately noticeable and wasn't there in the morning. Has anyone ever heard something like this happen? I called the dealership and they said they have never heard about it and probably wouldnt replace it under warranty. Can someone help me out here and give me some advice?
The only thing I have experienced similar to this was one winter when I had a small crack in my windshield, where moisture got in and when the temperature dropped then increased, it ended up with a split across the whole windshield from right to left - pretty dramatic really considering it happened over night.

Maybe a similar problem with your trim; moisture has got in via a crack and ended up expanding/splitting the whole thing?

I am sure someone out there who paid attention in physics class could shed more light on this?!!
Old 02-05-2007, 02:07 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530i Oriental Blue Metalic Beige InteriorPremium PackageCold Weather Package

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='387807' date='Feb 5 2007, 06:03 PM
The only thing I have experienced similar to this was one winter when I had a small crack in my windshield, where moisture got in and when the temperature dropped then increased, it ended up with a split across the whole windshield from right to left - pretty dramatic really considering it happened over night.

Maybe a similar problem with your trim; moisture has got in via a crack and ended up expanding/splitting the whole thing?

I am sure someone out there who paid attention in physics class could shed more light on this?!!
I would like some advice on what to tell the dealer if they try to give me a hard time. I don't want to be rude to them but I do want it fixed under warranty so I need to be prepared.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:02 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Is it a surface scratch or smooth to the touch and a scratch underneath the clear coat? Did you get your car washed or valet parked just before you noticed the scratch. That happened to me but I was able to buff it out.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:05 PM
Members

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='387827' date='Feb 5 2007, 07:02 PM
Is it a surface scratch or smooth to the touch and a scratch underneath the clear coat? Did you get your car washed or valet parked just before you noticed the scratch. That happened to me but I was able to buff it out.
Its a surface scratch. Noone has washed my car or been in it besides me.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Is it through to the wood? If not you can buff it with normal cleaner wax. I don't remember if I started with polishing compound but always use the least aggressive method as you can that still accomplishes what you want. ALSO- watch out for surrounding finishes be very specific in what areas you touch.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

the wood trim that runs across the dash cracked on my 2005 545. I'm pretty sure it was heat related, it just appeared one day in summmer. Either way, I had no trouble with the dealer ordering a new trim piece as a warranty replacement (in the event, I did actually trade the car in for my 550 whilst we were waiting for the part to turn up but the dealer had already confirmed it would be fixed under warranty). It looked like it was the plastic "varnish" that covers the wood that had cracked.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:43 PM
Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='387839' date='Feb 5 2007, 07:35 PM
the wood trim that runs across the dash cracked on my 2005 545. I'm pretty sure it was heat related, it just appeared one day in summmer. Either way, I had no trouble with the dealer ordering a new trim piece as a warranty replacement (in the event, I did actually trade the car in for my 550 whilst we were waiting for the part to turn up but the dealer had already confirmed it would be fixed under warranty). It looked like it was the plastic "varnish" that covers the wood that had cracked.
When you mean plastic varnish do you mean like a clear coat? Cause it looks like only the clear coat is damaged. To me it looks like its one piece but if somehow they can replace the clear part that would be great!
Old 02-05-2007, 03:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Sam the BMW man' post='387840' date='Feb 5 2007, 04:43 PM
When you mean plastic varnish do you mean like a clear coat? Cause it looks like only the clear coat is damaged. To me it looks like its one piece but if somehow they can replace the clear part that would be great!
yes, it looked to be just the top clear coat that had cracked - I'm not sure if that is a separate piece that sits on top of the wood trim or if they are bonded together. Either way, the dealer didn't have a problem with it being a warranty item. Best of luck getting yours replaced.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:56 PM
Contributors

I am sure the clear coat is applied over the wood so its one piece and there probably is aluminum adhered behind the wood so the wood does not splinter during a car crash.

Quick Reply: Woodgrain cracked?