E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Wood trim inside car

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 06:49 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 525i, 6-speed, sliver-gray metallic, premium package, professional navigation ... among other options

I own a 2004 525. I noticed the 2005 and 2006 models have nice woodwork on the front door handles and around the air distributor near the rear seats.

I asked the BMW dealership parts manager yesterday if I could buy some of this wood to "upgrade" my car. He gave me a puzzled look and said it would be at least $2,200 to do this. "That wood is expensive," he said.

Is this reasonable? Does this guy know what he's talking about?

I have reason to suspect he doesn't, because the dealership has to be one of the worst in the BMW network. I have so many stories ...

I'd appreciate any feedback members could give me.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Lomag did the upgrade to the wood on the rear console (I think his car already had the wood on the front door handles) and you can see everything about it, including cost, right here:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=1187

Lomag also has a DIY posted for changing the wood on the lower front dashboard (on MY2004 cars) right here:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=5650

I think the dealer that's quoting you $2200 is a bit high...
Old 10-29-2005, 07:16 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Orient Blue, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Package, Satellite Radio, Rear Reflectors, Chrome Grilles. 2007 Z4, Silver Grey Metalic, Premium Package, Sport Package, Heated Seats, Xenon, Premium Radio

The non-wood door handles were a model year launch mishap. The BMW website originally displayed the car with wood handles - but when the first cars hit the showrooms, they did not have them. They later updated their website with the metal substitutes. Manufacturing issues (or supplier problems) prevented the first cars to have what it was designed and PRICED to have. I would push your dealer harder. Ask them why cars with them did not cost $2K more once they were finally added or why yours wasn't reduced by that much.

There is no way, in my opinion, should they cost that much. Since these cars have now been around for a few year's... perhaps you can get a set from a salvage yard and install them yourself.

I too was disapointed with the metal handles and decided to put off my purchase until they got their act together. Good luck.
Old 10-29-2005, 07:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Rudy,

Your tread is everything what this fine site is about, helping fellow and new members.

I have a brouchure I got in spring '03 (with some redwine on it) from the VIP launch of the E60 here in Finland.

It says that door wood trims would be available later in 2003,
and the maple anthrazite trims (standard in the 545i) would be available in the spring 2004.

Further it says that the gray interior will probably be available in spring 2004.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:59 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Oct 29 2005, 07:59 AM
Lomag did the upgrade to the wood on the rear console (I think his car already had the wood on the front door handles) and you can see everything about it, including cost, right here:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=1187

Lomag also has a DIY posted for changing the wood on the lower front dashboard (on MY2004 cars) right here:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=5650

I think the dealer that's quoting you $2200 is a bit high...
[snapback]190500[/snapback]
Nice teeth in the avatar...
Old 10-29-2005, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by stream' date='Oct 29 2005, 02:59 PM
Nice teeth in the avatar...
[snapback]190590[/snapback]
I think you need a closer look...

Wood trim inside car-mugshot__delgado_20eduardo.jpg
Old 10-29-2005, 12:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Oct 29 2005, 10:03 PM
[quote name='stream' date='Oct 29 2005, 02:59 PM']Nice teeth in the avatar...
[snapback]190590[/snapback]
I think you need a closer look...

Attachment 11956
[snapback]190618[/snapback]
[/quote]

We are not all 30 anymore...

And talking about wood... The trims are plastic these days

There was a time when ships was made on wood and the men of steel,
now the ships are manufactured of steel and the boys made of wood
Old 10-29-2005, 07:53 PM
Contributors

I'd like to do the same if anyone has the part number for anthracite. I have cigarette lighters but no seat warmer buttons.

And while we're on the subject, I'd like to change out the front, cheap-looking plastic to the anthracite as well. I have nav and dvd...but I think the front, center panel wood trim goes under these elements. I do have active steering so I would need a part number that takes DSC button into consideration.

I've asked my dealer parts department and they can't figure out the parts numbers.

Thanks!
Old 10-29-2005, 08:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by Blackonblackonblack' date='Oct 29 2005, 09:53 PM
I'd like to do the same if anyone has the part number for anthracite.? I have cigarette lighters but no seat warmer buttons.

And while we're on the subject, I'd like to change out the front, cheap-looking plastic to the anthracite as well.? I have nav and dvd...but I think the front, center panel wood trim goes under these elements.? I do have active steering so I would need a part number that takes DSC button into consideration.

I've asked my dealer parts department and they can't figure out the parts numbers.

Thanks!
[snapback]190754[/snapback]
Dig through Hobi's post, that's how I found the part number for mine...

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=4783&hl=
Old 10-29-2005, 08:21 PM
Contributors

Thanks KSCARROL!

Quick Reply: Wood trim inside car