5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   Wiper rain sensor too sensitive (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/wiper-rain-sensor-too-sensitive-72857/)

porsche911targa 03-16-2009 12:28 PM

Does it also get offended easily? :lol:

I think that wiper sensitivity is a subjective issue. I actually like the delay times in the E60. I remember that my E36 only had only one setting for wiper delay and it was the setting that the BMW engineers deemed reasonable for a delay. Their thinking was that if you needed it slower, then you could use the single wipe button and if you needed it faster, then you could just turn the wipers on and leave them on. Typical BMW arrogance, but I still love the cars.

Ps. That E36 did not even have cup holders because the engineers believed that people should not drink in their cars but just drive them.

CWS530 03-16-2009 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='818454' date='Mar 16 2009, 03:28 PM
Does it also get offended easily? :lol:

Apparently, because yelling at it does no good at all. :D

Ricracing 03-16-2009 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by ktlocklear' post='818233' date='Mar 16 2009, 06:21 PM
When it is barley drizzling, and i have the rain sensor set on the least sensitive setting.....the wipers will wipe with no pause between, or a really short pause. Is this normal?

This is funny, because I sometimes feel that even in the forth setting it's not sensitive enough in misty rain.

The sensor is a 5.1 one :whistle: :lol:

pigapumbu 03-17-2009 03:38 AM

This is odd cause the automatic rain sensor I had on my E39 was far better then on the E60. I hardly ever needed to fiddle with the knurled wheel for sensitivity. And when the car stopped at the lights, the timing was still accurate for the condition of rain, be in heavy or a drizzle.

Wonder what BMW has changed with the code since. Pity and its another great example of, "if it ain't broke,...."

cheers

turbo.steve 03-20-2009 05:00 AM

I have similar issues on mine, when the Rain-X is worn off the wipers on practically on all the time. When properly and frequently Rain-X'd the rain eye behind the mirror seems to do OK at best. I'd love to one of these days take the eye off and see [no pun intended] how it's working i.e. variable voltage or resistance and see if something as simple as a small pot or resister in line would do the trick. Someday when I get off my a$$ I'll get on it :)

Steve

Hopco 03-20-2009 05:28 AM

I agree that the E60's intermittent wiper settings could very well be engineering overkill.

My temporary car while waiting for my new '10 E61 (April I hope) is a Mazda from Hertz. Its intermittent setting has eight delay options. While I would prefer a few more settings at the slow end, all in all a better solution than my old '06 E61's sophistication.

Re: Rain-X
When I used it 15 years ago, I came to the conclusion that it was causing the rubber from my blades to stick to the windshield at the end of their stroke, leaving a dark streak of rubber at the eleven o'clock position to the driver's left.

From the above positive comments about Rain-X, I gather that either Rain-X has changed its formula or that the 'rubber' used in our wiper blades has changed so that the rubber no longer contaminates the windshield.

Is that so?

DD_545i 03-20-2009 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by ktlocklear' post='818233' date='Mar 16 2009, 05:21 PM
When it is barley drizzling

OMG LMFAO @ myself. I was actually googling "barley drizzling" wondering if that's an americanism that I hadn't heard of before. I was thinking that maybe people that live near barley fields get a special kind of rain or something. Now of course I realize it's a spelling mistake and it should be barely drizzling.

CWS530 03-20-2009 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='822079' date='Mar 20 2009, 10:10 AM
OMG LMFAO @ myself. I was actually googling "barley drizzling" wondering if that's an americanism that I hadn't heard of before. I was thinking that maybe people that live near barley fields get a special kind of rain or something. Now of course I realize it's a spelling mistake and it should be barely drizzling.

HAHAHA! If you drive near Budweiser headquarters here in St. Louis, sometimes you get "hops raining" or "malt raining" as well. :lol:

Seriously, though, it does sometime rain cats and dogs! :P

DD_545i 03-20-2009 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by CWS530' post='822428' date='Mar 20 2009, 09:50 PM
HAHAHA! If you drive near Budweiser headquarters here in St. Louis, sometimes you get "hops raining" or "malt raining" as well. :lol:

Seriously, though, it does sometime rain cats and dogs! :P

Budweiser headquarters in St. Louis ???? Can't be. I've been to the Budweiser headquarters - it's in Prague in the Czech republic :P :P :P :D
https://img15.imageshack.us/img15/1559/budz.jpg

Stoley 03-22-2009 08:04 PM

The dealer can adjust the sensitivity more than you are able to on the stalk. Mine was not sensitive enough, but the dealer was able to fix...