E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: This setup should work for you - VOTE EARLY & VOTE OFTEN!
YES - I approve this message!
42.86%
NO - Make a change!
57.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Winter Wheel and Tire set up for my '07 530xi

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 07:35 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I've been doing the research and reading feedback from many forum posters - it's all good input and it's helped me reach a decision (I think ).

But ... one last opportunity for input fits my decisive style

First, when inclement weather hangs in there for weeks at a time I want wheels that are open and easy to clean so my choice is the 18x8" MSW Type 16. I also like the "titanium" finish on the inner portion of the rim. As an added bonus, TireRack says all my current hardware fits properly and the 40mm offset is only a whisker off of the 43mm fitment for my car.

For tires, I really do like the benefit of RFTs and wanted a compromise for the winter tire. I have thought long and hard about replacing my "summer" hi-perf Bridgestones with an "all-season' tread. But in the 18" choices they are pricey and in my past experience even excellent all seasons are ok/average in any winter condition. Call me selfish or foolish, even though we have another weather-friendly vehicle I want to be able to drive my xi anytime I want to.

I did a Google search and the reviews (although limited) on the Graspic DS-2 DSST CTT look favorable. I checked e60 posts and found a couple additional that are positive. It is a RFT and in this size at TireRack is a better buy than the few others. Please note I am not in the far Northern climes - If I still lived in Upstate NY I think I'd be going with another tire but I'm in the country of South Jersey .. we get some snow ... some ice ... but it rarely hangs around for more than a couple of days. And extreme cold is a rare occasion. But it's here often enough for me not to want to risk driving on my Bridgestone UHP runflats.

Priced with TPMS installed and shipped to my door is $1,547.38 and I think is "reasonable". + there is a Dunlop $25 rebate AND don't forget that I buy on line after linking thru my MRRebates account and earn an additional 5% rebate. BTW, I see that some e60'ers have also signed up. TRUST ME - it costs nothing and can pay you back some real dollars http://www.mrrebates.com?refid=55980 . I've been using it for more than 2 years for nearly every on-line purchase. TRY IT - YOU'll LIKE IT!

Final opinions are welcome ...
Attached Thumbnails Winter Wheel and Tire set up for my '07 530xi-msw_type_16_at_tirerack_18_inch.jpg   Winter Wheel and Tire set up for my '07 530xi-dunlop_graspic_ds2_winter_rft_at_tirerack.jpg  
Old 11-02-2008, 08:24 AM
ADD
Senior Members

FWIW, I'd go with Nokians.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:36 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ADD' post='710093' date='Nov 2 2008, 12:24 PM
FWIW, I'd go with Nokians.
Thanks for your advice - if I were forced to live or travel in upstate NY anytime after September and until Winter ends in June , I would consider Nokians (though their dealer supported network is weak).
Old 11-02-2008, 09:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Alpine White e92 M3

voted!
Old 11-02-2008, 09:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='710068' date='Nov 2 2008, 11:35 AM
I did a Google search and the reviews (although limited) on the Graspic DS-2 DSST CTT look favorable.
Final opinions are welcome ...
Go with Dunlop Sport D3 or whatever they are called now, just get Sport version. Graspics are "real" snow tires more sutable for Alaska or Greenland. Dry road handlic will be pretty bad with Graspics.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

I had a 530xi and used my all-season's that came with it and had ZERO problems in the snow, and we had our fair share last winter. I drove home in quite a few inches of the white stuff with no problems. Since you have HI-performance summer tires now, I'd say go with the Dunlop M3's or 3D's or Blizzaks for tires.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:23 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xiT Titanium Silver, 6-speed Manual, new style Start/Stop ignition, Black Dakota Leather, anthracite maple wood trim, heated seats front and rear, heated steering wheel, headlight washers, automatic tailgate, auto dimming mirrors, Logic 7, 6-disc changer, sport seats, shadow line trim, rear sun blinds, PDC, adaptive xenons, 18" style 123 wheels, , navigation, voice control, bluetooth, BMW roof rack + bike attachments,

I have used the Graspic tires on my wagon for the past 3 winters, and they are simply amazing tires in deep snow, packed snow, ice, slush and wet. Better than bridgestone ws-50 i think. They are fine in dry but you will notice significant tread squirm when new because of the soft compound.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:12 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by silver530sportwagon' post='710164' date='Nov 2 2008, 02:23 PM
I have used the Graspic tires on my wagon for the past 3 winters, and they are simply amazing tires in deep snow, packed snow, ice, slush and wet. Better than bridgestone ws-50 i think. They are fine in dry but you will notice significant tread squirm when new because of the soft compound.
How did you find tread wear on the Graspics? Did you put on enough miles to see how they'd wear? What about noise?
Old 11-02-2008, 12:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='710208' date='Nov 2 2008, 03:12 PM
How did you find tread wear on the Graspics? Did you put on enough miles to see how they'd wear? What about noise?
From the research I've done, the newer Graspic DS-2 like the one above are not as "sloppy" in the handling department as the older version. I doubt you'll have issues the issues that the Graspic DS-1 had, with bad handling due to a softer, more blocky design.

If you DO want to try the older version, here's a sweet deal on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...T&viewitem=
Old 11-02-2008, 02:39 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='710260' date='Nov 2 2008, 04:57 PM
From the research I've done, the newer Graspic DS-2 like the one above are not as "sloppy" in the handling department as the older version. I doubt you'll have issues the issues that the Graspic DS-1 had, with bad handling due to a softer, more blocky design.

If you DO want to try the older version, here's a sweet deal on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...T&viewitem=
Thanks for doing some of the leg work for me ... the ebay deal looks ok but I'd still have to deal with local mounting and balancing so the price differential shrinks a bit and the DS1's are conventional and I'd like to stay with RFTs. And if TireRack does the tire mount and balance I feel the end product is more likely to be correct than most local installers. And it's an easy task to remove my current wheels and tires and mount the new set complete.

One last shot, probably have time next week, will be a check with my dealer to see what wheel / tire "offers" they have available.

Quick Reply: Winter Wheel and Tire set up for my '07 530xi