E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Winter tires & TPMS for e60 545i

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 11:28 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All,

Wanting to get Winter tires only or tire/ Wheels for my 2005 545i, have 2 options,

1.Use the existing wheels which are 18" wheels and get winter tires for them, and store the runflat dunlops till summer.
2.Get 17" wheels and tires for the winter,

Will I need to get TPMS for both options or only for option 2, and where can I get them from/ how much will they cost.

The cost will help determine which option I would lean towards,

Also any recommendations for winter/tire combo's and where I can get them from. I know a lot of questions, appreciate your help guys.

Thanks !
Old 10-16-2008, 11:56 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ek5abi' post='694981' date='Oct 16 2008, 07:28 PM
All,

Wanting to get Winter tires only or tire/ Wheels for my 2005 545i, have 2 options,

1.Use the existing wheels which are 18" wheels and get winter tires for them, and store the runflat dunlops till summer.

Will I need to get TPMS for both options or only for option 2, and where can I get them from/ how much will they cost.

Also any recommendations for winter/tire combo's and where I can get them from. I know a lot of questions, appreciate your help guys.

Thanks !
You will need the TPMS for option 2 only...

But i'd skip the TPMS and have it disabled while winter...

E34 didn't have this... and i've lived all my winters without it...
Old 10-16-2008, 12:10 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

PM sent
Old 10-16-2008, 12:13 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ek5abi' post='694981' date='Oct 16 2008, 03:28 PM
All,

Thanks !
You don't need TPMS for either option. The 05 E60 uses differences in tire revolution to alert you when the system THINKS you have a flat. There is no real pressure monitoring system, that is on later cars.

Note I usually have to reset my flat tire warning system when switching to snows and back again. It gets confused easlily

Get the new wheels and tires. It is much simpler come change over time and you have less chance of getting your wheels marked up from constantly being on the tire mounting machine twice a year. And you can change over your self which means you will be even more carefull than some guy who has to do twenty in a day
Old 10-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by mhs525' post='695026' date='Oct 16 2008, 02:13 PM
You don't need TPMS for either option. The 05 E60 uses differences in tire revolution to alert you when the system THINKS you have a flat. There is no real pressure monitoring system, that is on later cars.

Note I usually have to reset my flat tire warning system when switching to snows and back again. It gets confused easlily

Get the new wheels and tires. It is much simpler come change over time and you have less chance of getting your wheels marked up from constantly being on the tire mounting machine twice a year. And you can change over your self which means you will be even more carefull than some guy who has to do twenty in a day
+1 for getting the second set of rim/tires, it will save you money and time in the long run, as twice year you'll be paying for removal, mounting, balance and installation for the switch. Not to mentioned loading and unloading the tires up to be taken to a place to do it. It would be much simpler just to change em out your self at home!

GL
Old 10-16-2008, 12:26 PM
Members

Originally Posted by IceyTys' post='695034' date='Oct 16 2008, 03:22 PM
+1 for getting the second set of rim/tires, it will save you money and time in the long run, as twice year you'll be paying for removal, mounting, balance and installation for the switch. Not to mentioned loading and unloading the tires up to be taken to a place to do it. It would be much simpler just to change em out your self at home!

GL
where can I confirm that for the E60 2005 do not need to buy the TPMS, this would make making the option 2 easier !! Also any recommendations on wheels and tires for Winter tires.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:04 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

The 05's use the ABS sensors to measure the wheel speed for tire pressure...
TPMS is on the 07's and newer ( I don't think any 545's in USA & Canada have the TPMS valves installed ). Check the Faq's... or your instruction manual.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

I've got a 2005 545, and can confirm that the car does not have a TPMS. The warning is based on tire revolution.

I would also second Option 2. Easier in the long run, and if you are not inclined to change them yourself you can have the dealer put them on for you. Mine charges only $50 for all four.

As far as recommendation, the Dunlop Winter Sport have got pretty good reviews. I have them and like the traction they provide in snow and sleet.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:57 PM
Members

Originally Posted by JStraw' post='695091' date='Oct 16 2008, 04:18 PM
I've got a 2005 545, and can confirm that the car does not have a TPMS. The warning is based on tire revolution.

I would also second Option 2. Easier in the long run, and if you are not inclined to change them yourself you can have the dealer put them on for you. Mine charges only $50 for all four.

As far as recommendation, the Dunlop Winter Sport have got pretty good reviews. I have them and like the traction they provide in snow and sleet.
Thanks Guys, your help is greatly appreciated, would you recommend going with 17" vs 18" for winter tires , what about runflats should i spend the money for them for winter ?

Anyone tried Nitrogen in their tires for winter ?
Old 10-17-2008, 07:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

Originally Posted by ek5abi' post='695115' date='Oct 16 2008, 04:57 PM
Thanks Guys, your help is greatly appreciated, would you recommend going with 17" vs 18" for winter tires , what about runflats should i spend the money for them for winter ?

Anyone tried Nitrogen in their tires for winter ?
Decision on 17" or 18" is very much a personal choice. Keep in mind, if you live in an area that gets a lot of potholes during winter, then you may be better off with the 17".

Runflats are also a very personal choice. It depends on how you evaluate cost/value of these. To me, the apparent safety of not having to change tires in the middle of the road/highway in winter, is more than enough justification for the less comfy ride. But then again, I've never had to change a tire in winter during the last 18 years

Quick Reply: Winter tires & TPMS for e60 545i