E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Winter Tires and DSC/DTC

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 12:14 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

I continue to be impressed with the winter tires and DSC/DTC combo. We have received a ton a snow over the past few weeks, and are on our way to receive record breaking snow for the season.

I am generally careful when driving in snow/slush, but sometimes, specially when turning and no traffic around, I will push the car. The car will slide into the turn and straighten itself out. I just continue to have a blast doing this .

So far, I have never had the car get out of control. For those of you contemplating dedicated winter set-up, go for it. IMO, it is well worth cost.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 DINAN 135 convertible

Originally Posted by JStraw' post='528538' date='Feb 7 2008, 04:14 PM
I continue to be impressed with the winter tires and DSC/DTC combo. We have received a ton a snow over the past few weeks, and are on our way to receive record breaking snow for the season.

I am generally careful when driving in snow/slush, but sometimes, specially when turning and no traffic around, I will push the car. The car will slide into the turn and straighten itself out. I just continue to have a blast doing this .

So far, I have never had the car get out of control. For those of you contemplating dedicated winter set-up, go for it. IMO, it is well worth cost.
I agree 150%. I live about 2 hrs East of Chicago, and we also have been pummeled a couple times this year with snow (and get lake effect snow almost daily). I have never had winter tires before, and I can say that they make all the difference. I have had no problem anywhere on any surface.

To be cautious, I threw two 50lb sand bags in my trunk over the rear wheels, but I am not even sure I need them. The tires are great.

The only thing I worry about now are the OTHER drivers who have bald tires or summer tires that I see sliding all over the place. I am afraid one of them is going to take me out.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:32 PM
Senior Members

I'm with you on your comments . I also have the "xi" with dedicated winter tires and the car is amazing in snow and on ice. We have had a very snowy winter also, so lots of chances to "test" the limits.

Probably the best winter driver I have had, including two Subarus which were good in the snow (but otherwise boring cars).
Old 02-07-2008, 03:48 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Sounds fun! You must be getting NYC's snow based on another thread.

Fortunately Charlotte gets little snow. Only 1 or 2 times a year with any accumulation and then it melts by noon. Add a few ice storms and that's it. I keep the 550i in the garage during bad weather mostly due to the idiot drivers that can't drive in the snow AT ALL. My winter beater is now an X3 but I got it more for its utility than its AWD.

My best ever (and most fun) winter car was a Mitsi 3000GT VR-4 with 320hp & AWD. Charlotte got 6 inches of snow one year when I had it. It actually lasted 3 days! It seemed nobody was on the road except for me. Even with max perf summer tires, I had to work to get the car loose, even with no DSC or traction control. Finally on the 3rd day after the snow was melting and refreezing overnight, I finally got the car 45 degrees sideways at full throttle on a turn. A flick of the wheel and it was pointed straight and taking off like a rocket.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:37 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

keep enjoying it
Old 02-08-2008, 06:56 PM
Members

I completely agree, I was astonished on how well the car handled the snow and ice with snow tires. It took me way too long to by a BMW and the reason I did not was the rear drive and some of the reputation the BMW had about snow handling. Now, I even think it handles better than my 4matic and quatro but they did have all season tires.