E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Winter Driving

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 04:54 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam the BMW man' post='284925' date='May 19 2006, 04:02 PM
Does anyone live in a real snowy area?? This is my first rear wheel drive car 530i. I have driven a Jeep Grand Cherokee for the longest time and the 4 wheel drive was awesome. Anyone have experience in bad weather with their BMW? I know mine has traction control but lord knows how good that can be. Should I definately get winter tires? I know its summer but this has been on my mind and would like input. Thanks guys!
Lived in lake effect area in states that got pounded and still live in a moderate snowy area. I went with 18in Dunlop Wintersports on 18 in rims (for looks and drive pavement performance). Dunlops and Blizzaks are the most popular in the states and will handle most areas. If you in an extreme snowy area with hills and regualar ice you can consider studded snow tires. For studs you will need to look at your local laws regarding their use - many states allowing them from Nov-April only. If you use studs for area that does not have snow on the ground all season you will hear more road noise.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Sam the BMW man' post='284925' date='May 19 2006, 11:02 PM
Does anyone live in a real snowy area?? This is my first rear wheel drive car 530i. I have driven a Jeep Grand Cherokee for the longest time and the 4 wheel drive was awesome. Anyone have experience in bad weather with their BMW? I know mine has traction control but lord knows how good that can be. Should I definately get winter tires? I know its summer but this has been on my mind and would like input. Thanks guys!
Does the homeland of Santa ring a bell?

No problems what so ever!

Buy good winter tires (Nordic ones) on their own rims,
and go for the size 225/50 17".

Forget the sandbags, the E60 is a balanced car, more or less 50/50.

And enjoy the winter with your fine ride!

PS. The pic below was taken last winter when the temperature was some - 25 C!
Old 05-20-2006, 02:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530i Oriental Blue Metalic Beige InteriorPremium PackageCold Weather Package

Thanks everyone for your opinion!
Old 05-20-2006, 03:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: –

BTW Mr. Djurg?rden your E60 really stands out nice, having 135 rims as winter rims
Old 05-23-2006, 06:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='284973' date='May 19 2006, 03:51 PM
Welcome. There is extensive discussion of snow tires in the Search files. I would recommend, if you have 18" wheels, to drop back to 17s for snows. A LOT less expensive rubber, much more selection, you get the convenience of bolt-on snows, and you spare your real wheels from salt and sand.

I would recommend (as would most here) the TireRack.com--they know their wheel fitments and you won't have any problems; other stores have less experience in fitting aftermarket wheels over big calipers, (but maybe the 530s aren't as problematic/particular as the 545 sport's).

After that, the car performs very well. I haven't gotten stuck in years (including prior 540i sport), and it handles very well. You just have to keep things under control on dry pavement--those snows aren't grippy like sport tires.

Good luck, And you might even cop a deal at local tire stores on snows, given the time of year.
Ray Hull
I agree with Mr. Hull on dropping to 17" wheels. You'll have to pay a little more attention to driving, but I've been through very heavy, accumulated, sloppy snow in a blizzard, and the car is fine with my Dunlop Wintersport M3s (I think that's what they are). The only issue is the vehicle height: my nose scrapes snow and ice in ruts, but it doesn't seem to have done any damage.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:47 AM
Members

I don't have much experience in this area as I live in a predominantly drizzly part of the UK. I had a 330d before which came to me from the Shetlands complete with Wintrac tyres. I decided to keep these on over the winter till the wore out. I don't think they ever saw any snow but they did take a very long time to wear out. They worked well in really damp conditions but didn't like roads which were damp and greasy much. In the dry they were much less responsive and grippy than the Goodyear Eagles that replaced them but they gave a better ride.

This saw the worst snow in the UK in my area for a decade and now I am have a 535d with RFTs. I didn't actually get stuck, but the lack of traction added to the limitations of an auto box made things tricky on packed snow on inclines. I had a skiing trip this year that required me to drive a Merc C180 auto in Norway complete with winter tyres (a legal requirement up to Easter there I believe). In similar conditions the winter tyres made a tremendous difference. It is interesting that there seemed to be a lot more 2WD Touring /Estate /Station Wagon type vehicles there than 4x4s. Sure there were 4x4 around, but less in proportion than in an average UK school car park at dropping off time! I think that is a testiment to Winter tyres' effectiveness. Cars in Norway expecting to be driven on snow all the time occasionally had studded tyres. I saw signs both recommending and prohibiting their use though.