E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Winter Driving

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 12:02 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 530i Oriental Blue Metalic Beige InteriorPremium PackageCold Weather Package

Does anyone live in a real snowy area?? This is my first rear wheel drive car 530i. I have driven a Jeep Grand Cherokee for the longest time and the 4 wheel drive was awesome. Anyone have experience in bad weather with their BMW? I know mine has traction control but lord knows how good that can be. Should I definately get winter tires? I know its summer but this has been on my mind and would like input. Thanks guys!
Old 05-19-2006, 12:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

get snow tires and put sandbags (or something else heavy) in the trunk. you should be fine.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Sport, carbon black, media pack, visibility pack, grey leather, heated seats, sun protection glass, voice control, Eibach ProKit, 19" 166 style wheels, e-maps ECU remap to 325hp and 640NM, top speed limiter removed

I usually go back to germany over x-mas, so I do run winter tyres.

Winter tyres are not only about snow, but also grip in all other situations. The rubber of a summer tyre hardens out at +7 C. below that your grip is drastically reduced. Winter tyres have a different silica compound in the rubber keeping them soft and grippy also below freezing.

Still your decision, but in snow you have no chance, but loads of fun, if you know how to use it. There are excellent looking and performing winters out there in the meantime. Below are the ones I use. Vredestein Wintrac extreme.
Sufficient in snow, but still classy on dry cold or wet cold roads, too. and not even expensive. Mine are 18"
Old 05-19-2006, 12:27 PM
Contributors

Welcome abaord Sam. Glad you joined us.

As suggested by others, winter tires are required, and then you will find that the E60 performs very well in the white stuff. But get a second set of wheels for those winter tires. It's too hard on the tires and wheels to continually mount summer / winter tires each season.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:31 PM
Senior Members

Winter Tires are a must ... that said, its not all that bad in the snow, but you most likely will have to turn off the DTC when you have lots of snow ...

Winter Driving-march_18_06___snowplow_v2_3_1.jpg
Old 05-19-2006, 12:31 PM
Members

My Ride: e60 545i, build date july '04, saphire metallic black, auburn interior, sports package.

The runflats are very poor on ice and snow. You really need snow tires if you are planning on doing significant driving in these conditions.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by Sam the BMW man' post='284925' date='May 19 2006, 04:02 PM
Does anyone live in a real snowy area?? This is my first rear wheel drive car 530i. I have driven a Jeep Grand Cherokee for the longest time and the 4 wheel drive was awesome. Anyone have experience in bad weather with their BMW? I know mine has traction control but lord knows how good that can be. Should I definately get winter tires? I know its summer but this has been on my mind and would like input. Thanks guys!
Welcome. There is extensive discussion of snow tires in the Search files. I would recommend, if you have 18" wheels, to drop back to 17s for snows. A LOT less expensive rubber, much more selection, you get the convenience of bolt-on snows, and you spare your real wheels from salt and sand.

I would recommend (as would most here) the TireRack.com--they know their wheel fitments and you won't have any problems; other stores have less experience in fitting aftermarket wheels over big calipers, (but maybe the 530s aren't as problematic/particular as the 545 sport's).

After that, the car performs very well. I haven't gotten stuck in years (including prior 540i sport), and it handles very well. You just have to keep things under control on dry pavement--those snows aren't grippy like sport tires.

Good luck, And you might even cop a deal at local tire stores on snows, given the time of year.
Ray Hull
Old 05-19-2006, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'll second (or third, or fourth) everyone's opinion that winter tires are a must. In case it isn't obvious, you need to run four snow tires, not just two on the rear.

Go to http://www.tirerack.com and they'll take it from there. Once you get properly fitted, you'll be amazed at how well a rear-drive car will go (and stop) in the snow...
Old 05-20-2006, 02:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530 2006 msport package, steptronic, pdc, mystik blue, grey dakota leather, sunroof, Bi-Xenon, heated rear seats, Hi-FI system, velour carpets

I have the Nokian Hakkapelitta 4 studded tyre. I have my 135 rims on those. They work really great.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530 2006 msport package, steptronic, pdc, mystik blue, grey dakota leather, sunroof, Bi-Xenon, heated rear seats, Hi-FI system, velour carpets

I have the Nokian Hakkapelitta 4 studded tyre. I have my 135 rims on those. They work really great.
Attached Thumbnails Winter Driving-hkpl4_tuote_iso.jpg   Winter Driving-snow.jpg  

Quick Reply: Winter Driving