E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

The Winter

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 07:27 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

I store my E60 during the winter months, every night I put it into storage and every morning I take it back out! It's SoCal baby, we DRIVE our cars year round!!
Old 10-15-2008, 07:30 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

If I wanted to store my car over winter time, it would give me 6 carless months !
Old 10-15-2008, 07:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i AW - every option

Originally Posted by flyingpuck' post='693700' date='Oct 15 2008, 11:27 AM
I store my E60 during the winter months, every night I put it into storage and every morning I take it back out! It's SoCal baby, we DRIVE our cars year round!!

We're not blessed with such nice climate. I might have a job in the Bay Area though - so who knows...
Old 10-15-2008, 07:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by simmer' post='693653' date='Oct 15 2008, 08:16 AM
I'm storing mine from Mid-December until April and had the same questions. I will have mine on a "Smart" charger and I'll start it up now and then. Other than that, a car cover and that's about it.
+1 for the Smart charger...you can pick one up at wal-mart for like $20. Its the same things used for a motorcyle charger, I wouldnt disconnect the battery. Other then that you should maybe drive it once every two weeks around the block. no need to put it up on stands or anything like that, unless your seriously gonna just let it sit for 3-4 months.

I say every other Sunday take it to the corner store and back and youll be fine. I have a 4 runner I used when it snows in Denver, but luckily for us if it snows here it only lasts on the ground for a day or two. I couldnt image not being able to drive my car for 3-4 months. Screw that!
Old 10-15-2008, 08:14 AM
Contributors

Thumbs down

+1 on the battery tender
+ 1 on stabilize gas treatment (keep the tank full)

If stored on concrete place some wood or plastic under tires and inflate them slightly above the standard air pressure (but not over the tire pressure marked on the sidewall).

Ensure that the storage area is rodent and insect free - you don't want those critters looking for nooks and crannies to take up housing for the winter! If you have any doubts seal off any openings to the outside as best you can.

Thoroughly wash and wax before storage - treat leather surfaces with good products and cover the car with a soft car cover to prevent incidental stuff from dropping on the surface.

If you do choose to drive it once in a while, make it at least one hour to permit systems to warm up completely. Then permit a cool-down period to avoid condensates from forming.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

What the heck za3879?

The E60 is made for driving - all the year around.

Look for storage instructions from http://www.diynetwork.com/

If not, clean it, fill it up, change oils, over pressure the tires and cover it up.
3 - 4 months is no problem.

Will you do some time...?

PS. I'm Class of '79 Brighton HS, MI.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:36 PM
Members

My Ride: Current Vehicle - 2004 BMW E60 530i - Steptronic – Titanium Silver - iDrive - PDC - Black Dakota Leather– Adaptive Xenon Headlights (auto leveling) – Telescopic Steering – Heated Steering Wheel – Rear Heated Seats – Logic 7

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='693900' date='Oct 15 2008, 11:33 AM
What the heck za3879?

The E60 is made for driving - all the year around.

Look for storage instructions from http://www.diynetwork.com/

If not, clean it, fill it up, change oils, over pressure the tires and cover it up.
3 - 4 months is no problem.

Will you do some time...?

PS. I'm Class of '79 Brighton HS, MI.
Thanks to everyone who provided this great info..... I will be semi-storing my e60, the winters in Vancouver BC Canada are not so bad until it snows .... drivers are crazy here since it only snows 3-5 times a year, so no one has experience. 4x4's think they are kings, but some do not realize the 4x4 does not help them STOP!

My worry is some retard hitting me.

My plan is to park my car in the underground of my complex, purchase a winter beater for approx 1k.
Both cars will be insured so when it snows / icy .... I will drive the beater, until then I will drive my e60.

QUESTION: Can any recommend good all season tires I can use in the winter?

thanks again for all of the info.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i AW - every option

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='693767' date='Oct 15 2008, 12:14 PM
+1 on the battery tender
+ 1 on stabilize gas treatment (keep the tank full)

If stored on concrete place some wood or plastic under tires and inflate them slightly above the standard air pressure (but not over the tire pressure marked on the sidewall).

Ensure that the storage area is rodent and insect free - you don't want those critters looking for nooks and crannies to take up housing for the winter! If you have any doubts seal off any openings to the outside as best you can.

Thoroughly wash and wax before storage - treat leather surfaces with good products and cover the car with a soft car cover to prevent incidental stuff from dropping on the surface.

If you do choose to drive it once in a while, make it at least one hour to permit systems to warm up completely. Then permit a cool-down period to avoid condensates from forming.

Awesome advice.

what kind of 'cool down' period though? Like let the car sit and run idle for a bit?
Old 10-15-2008, 01:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by honda285' post='694049' date='Oct 15 2008, 03:36 PM
Thanks to everyone who provided this great info..... I will be semi-storing my e60, the winters in Vancouver BC Canada are not so bad until it snows .... drivers are crazy here since it only snows 3-5 times a year, so no one has experience. 4x4's think they are kings, but some do not realize the 4x4 does not help them STOP!

My worry is some retard hitting me.

My plan is to park my car in the underground of my complex, purchase a winter beater for approx 1k.
Both cars will be insured so when it snows / icy .... I will drive the beater, until then I will drive my e60.

QUESTION: Can any recommend good all season tires I can use in the winter?

thanks again for all of the info.

This is the best idea................unless you have an X5 too !
Old 10-15-2008, 03:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: ActiveHybrid - fully tricked out
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by IceyTys' post='693710' date='Oct 15 2008, 11:35 AM
+1 for the Smart charger...you can pick one up at wal-mart for like $20. Its the same things used for a motorcyle charger, I wouldnt disconnect the battery. Other then that you should maybe drive it once every two weeks around the block. no need to put it up on stands or anything like that, unless your seriously gonna just let it sit for 3-4 months.

I say every other Sunday take it to the corner store and back and youll be fine. I have a 4 runner I used when it snows in Denver, but luckily for us if it snows here it only lasts on the ground for a day or two. I couldnt image not being able to drive my car for 3-4 months. Screw that!
I have to respond to IceyTys and compliment his wisdom. I also hung on to my old 4 Runner and use it as my winter beater.

My 530i gets the following at the end of the driving season:
- wash (and a wax if I'm having a good day)
- fresh oil
- battery "trickle" charger / Smart charger - same one I use for my motorcycles
- fuel stablizer - run for 10 minutes after adding to the tank to ensure it's through the system.
- a short drive on a dry day every couple of weeks.

My old 4 runner gets nothing and starts everytime and drives great. I love the old beast.

Cheers

Quick Reply: The Winter