E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Windshield wipers going crazy

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 03:14 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

You just need to do a complete encoding on the car and clear the memory for all devices. you do this with BMW toolset.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:53 PM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you guide me through the encoding? Which BMW tools should I use? I have DIS, INPA, NCS Expert.

I would be very grateful!

As I mentioned the relay is brand new, and my problem is NOT only that the wipers sometimes are not stopping in the park position, but also (actually most of the time), when I initiate a single wipe the wipers are going thru the window 5-6 times.

Last edited by bobbyggx; 02-27-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by balbs
Interesting issue. I would think that it's not the wiper motor since the motor is definitely working. The problem is it won't stop when you tell it to. Also, what would the wiper arm have to do with it?
I really have no idea why the dealer had replaced the wiper arm. They found that replacing the motor did nothing, so then they decided to replace the arm. I guess they were pulling at straws, or figured maybe the threads were stripped, preventing the motor and arm to properly function. It wasn't until I showed them a forum post of another person who had the same issue, did they actually replace the relay and perform the encoding. Everything was done under warranty, so the only thing it cost me was time, frustration, and driving back and forth from the dealer.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:04 AM
New Members

Hopefully my problem will be the relay and the encoding, because I don't feel like tearing apart the wiper switch and eventually the wiper motor.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:00 AM
New Members

Any ideas on the encoding subject?
Old 03-01-2013, 04:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by bobbyggx
Any ideas on the encoding subject?
I wish I had more info, but all my write-up indicated was this:

Wipers intermittently will not park in the correct position
Caused by Faulty Wipers Relay
Installed 61 36 8 384 505: Double relay, green-bro Qty: 1
Checked Fault Memory, found no faults
Performed All function module test, performed complete encoding per shop foreman, after encoding performed function test, wipers still not parking in rest position, swap wipers relay for a known good, wipers resting in the correct position (Faulty Wipers Relay). Install new wipers relay and tested OK. (NODIAG Code for encoding)
Old 03-01-2013, 09:21 AM
New Members

Well my problems consist two aspects:
1. Sometimes the wipers aren't stopping in park position.
2. Most of the times the wipers work continiouslly without stopping (single wipe results in 5-6 or more wipes), and on the top of it, they don't stop in park position.

Very annoying
Old 03-01-2013, 11:10 AM
New Members

Guys, I have some updates.

I was playing with NCS Expert and decided to recode the RLS module to its factory settings. I done it, and the wipers started to work NORMALLY...

BUT

...this behavior was after I replaced the RELAY (the wipers started to work normally, and the next day they were failing againg), and after replacing the KBM (same deal).

In conclusion, I'm expecting to have problems with the wipers again, but hopefully the saga will end
Old 08-11-2015, 09:58 AM
Members

Hi guys

I have e wiper problem. Sometimes I just can't get them to stop. After requesting a single wipe they can run for minutes without stopping. Some times they stop in the middle of the windshield, and I can't command them thru the stick until I restart the engine. There are time when everything works fine, but most of the time they are giving me hard time.

I've replaced the wiper relay with a brand new, and after the replacement I check them by turning the ignition on - they were working as a charm for 10-15 minutes. The next day when I went to work and try a single wipe - the same story

Can you help me with more info? I've read something about the body module? If it can be the problem where is its exact location and can it be repaired or I need to look for another one in the junk yard, because a new one is around 500 euros here.

P.S. The windshield was replaced long time ago by the dealership, but how to check if the wipers are set in the right place?

Thank you!
Hi guys!
I am having the exact same problem. I replaced the wiper relay as the OP did and the problem is still there. This thread is 2 years old. Maybe someone knows of a solution.
Thanks!
Old 10-13-2015, 11:31 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 530i

Guys, I have some updates.

I was playing with NCS Expert and decided to recode the RLS module to its factory settings. I done it, and the wipers started to work NORMALLY...

BUT

...this behavior was after I replaced the RELAY (the wipers started to work normally, and the next day they were failing againg), and after replacing the KBM (same deal).

In conclusion, I'm expecting to have problems with the wipers again, but hopefully the saga will end

I too am having this exact same issue, but I do not see if there was a definitive fix. I replaced the relay and it seemed to work for a few days and now back to the same original problem this post talks about. Do I need to get it coded? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: Windshield wipers going crazy