E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Windshield wipers going crazy

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 01:21 PM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Windshield wipers going crazy

Hi guys

I have e wiper problem. Sometimes I just can't get them to stop. After requesting a single wipe they can run for minutes without stopping. Some times they stop in the middle of the windshield, and I can't command them thru the stick until I restart the engine. There are time when everything works fine, but most of the time they are giving me hard time.

I've replaced the wiper relay with a brand new, and after the replacement I check them by turning the ignition on - they were working as a charm for 10-15 minutes. The next day when I went to work and try a single wipe - the same story

Can you help me with more info? I've read something about the body module? If it can be the problem where is its exact location and can it be repaired or I need to look for another one in the junk yard, because a new one is around 500 euros here.

P.S. The windshield was replaced long time ago by the dealership, but how to check if the wipers are set in the right place?

Thank you!

Last edited by bobbyggx; 02-18-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:50 AM
New Members

Nobody knows?
Can someone tell me what and where should be coded if the body module is changed?
Old 02-21-2013, 06:14 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty rare problem for the e60s, but very common on e39 and its siblings of the same vintage. Found one thread where it happened to a BMW 7 series e65 and a wiper stalk replacement cured the issue...
Wipers on whenever start car - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums
Old 02-21-2013, 11:49 PM
New Members

Thank you! I've read it, but the guys problem is not the same as mine. My wipers are going nutts only when I initiate a wipe, doesn't matter single or else, the just don't stop when they are suppose to. Sometimes they can do 10 wipes, after I requested only a single wipe. Sometimes the are stopping in the middle of the windshield, and I need to restart the car in order to get them working again.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:57 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bobbyggx
Thank you! I've read it, but the guys problem is not the same as mine. My wipers are going nutts only when I initiate a wipe, doesn't matter single or else, the just don't stop when they are suppose to. Sometimes they can do 10 wipes, after I requested only a single wipe. Sometimes the are stopping in the middle of the windshield, and I need to restart the car in order to get them working again.
That can still be caused by the wiper switch. I really think the issue with yours is the limit parameter is broken, i.e. the signal to tell where and when the wipers to stop is not working. That is possibly integrated into the wiper switch. As I stated, that problem is very rare on the E60 chassis, so this may require a dealer visit. If you're intent on fixing it yourself anyway, I'd start with the wiper switch.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:39 AM
New Members

I swapped the Body module just now, and the wipers are working just fine, at least for now

I'm not sure if I need to do some recoding, and if yes, what exactly. For now everything seems to work fine.

P.S. I hate going to the dealer, and I love to fix my car on my own, that is how I'm getting familiar with it
Old 02-24-2013, 04:50 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

This could be from the RLS too. If you just take a a KBM(body module) you still should encode it to the vehicle. If the unit is a used unit then you may need to flash and then encode. Now all of this may not even matter...that's just the CORRECT way to do it. But if all is working fine then don't do anything. Just be aware if you ever do have to take it in for repairs where the module is part of the test plan (software upgrade) then it will be an issue and they will most likely tell you that you will have to replace it in order to proceed.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:05 PM
New Members

Thank you for your post!

How to test the RL sensor? My windshield was replaced by the dealer 7 years ago.

After swapping the modules the wipers started to work normally, but only for awhile, now they are acting the same way as before switching the modules.

I'm not sure what is the connection here, but I noticed that when I cut KBM power and then reconnect it the wipers are working okay for awhile!
The same was with the relay, after I put the new relay the wipers were working excellent, but the next day - same old story

Now I thing I'll try swapping the wiper switch, and if this doesn't solves it I'll go for the wiper motor.

Any ideas? Again, how can I see if the RLS is giving me a hard time? The Auto mode works exactly the same as all others, sometimes the wipers are stoping when and where they are suppose to, but most of the time they aren't stopping.

Last edited by bobbyggx; 02-27-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:03 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N62

My wipers were acting crazy too. They would not always complete the sweep and return in the park position. The dealer tried replacing the wiper arm and wiper motor, but only after they replaced a "double relay" (p/n 61368384505), and performed a complete encoding, did my wipers start working perfectly.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:21 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Interesting issue. I would think that it's not the wiper motor since the motor is definitely working. The problem is it won't stop when you tell it to. Also, what would the wiper arm have to do with it?

Quick Reply: Windshield wipers going crazy