E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Windshield Wiper Chatter

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 06:13 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='522642' date='Jan 25 2008, 05:52 AM
Flyingpuck,

Cleaning the blades is always a good idea, but you've already gone through that.

If you fancy a bit of Do-It-Yourself, try this:

Get a small adjustable spanner and some thick cloth or card to go in the spanner jaws to protect the wiper arm.

Put the spanner on the wiper ARM (not the blade) at the blade end. Looking down the arm, towards the pivot, use the spanner to twist the arm anticlockwise. Just a few degrees will do it, but you'll need to overcorrect because they aren't that easy to bend!

Imagine as your wiper blade goes on the downstroke. It's angle on the screen is too sharp, and it is effectively trying to dig in to the screen. By twisting the arm, this angle of attack is reduced, so the blade can do what it was designed to do, remove the water. Obviously, if you do it too much, the blade will then chatter on the up stroke, but the tolerance for the angle of attack is wide, so you shouldn't get that far!!

Nice to hear that somewhere else is getting rain too

Mike
This is 100% correct ... and I've corrected blade angle attack on my older cars in past years. Caution ... if the arm is marred and an effort is made to replace under warranty a service manager might deny a claim.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

I had the same problem with the rear wiper on my X5 and BMW replaced the wiper motor............ seemed a bit extreme for problem, but that solved it........ Good luck .
Old 01-25-2008, 09:05 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Originally Posted by flyingpuck' post='522502' date='Jan 24 2008, 07:42 PM
Well it finally seems as though we in SoCal are getting some consistent rainfall. Aside from the myriad number of drivers who can't seem to negotiate wet roads etc. I'm having the most basic of issues with my wipers. For some reason my drivers side wiper is chattering as it returns downward. I've had BMW replace the blades, they stayed quiet for about 5 minutes. I've made sure the glass was clean and contaminant-free. As a last resort, I've applied Rain-X to see if that would solve the chattering problem, also working for about 5 minutes too. It irks me to have to take the car to the dealer for something as simple as this, but I can't seem to find a solution. Anyone here have a similar issue? Or any kind of solution perhaps?? Let me know!
I hope mine are fixed. I just had mine replaced at the dealership Monday for the same reason, but I haven't had a chance to use them.

I had a similiar "new blades don't fix it" experience a few years ago when I got a car back from the body shop. As low-tech as it was, the the repairman simply made subtle adjstments (i.e., bent them with his hands) to the arms until the chattering/skipping stopped. Structurally, these e60 wipers are different at the blade than those, but a few pushes or pulls on the arm might help.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:58 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F10 M5
Model Year: 2013

I have the same problem myself. When I have time I'm going to take it back to get some new ones.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E90 330i + E60 550i

seems like a common problem as i have it too. streaking goes great with the chattering noise. quite impressive for people riding in the car!
Old 01-25-2008, 10:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by s4iscool' post='522788' date='Jan 25 2008, 11:38 AM
seems like a common problem as i have it too. streaking goes great with the chattering noise. quite impressive for people riding in the car!
You're streaking when you drive?? And with others in the car??? Kinky!
Old 01-25-2008, 12:11 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by s4iscool' post='522788' date='Jan 25 2008, 02:38 PM
SoCal is up to old tricks again ... Streaking while chattering!

I can see the promotions for the video now ->
BMW's Gone Wild
Old 01-25-2008, 01:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Perhaps he's chattering from streaking in the cold in the first place?
Old 02-10-2009, 08:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i - stock with BMW base rack, Yakima ski rack attachment

I too had this chatter problem, the chatter lasted for a couple months. It started when it started getting cold so I thought it was just the cold weather. However recently they stopped chattering however the middle of the blade was not contacting the windshield, so there was a swath that did not get wiped. I started looking around on this forum for a solution, I found that one should torque the arm with a wrench to correct the angle of attack of the wiper.

The angle of attack is the problem, however I was not about to torque my wiper arm without further investigating the problem. I took off the plastic cover and unbolted the one nut that holds on the wiper arm. The arm looked good to me but I noticed that the mount wiper arm is curved and has notches, which can be used to adjust the angle of attack (I am assuming). I put the wiper blade back on, rotated it to where I thought it should be, tightened it down and test it out. Worked perfectly.

I think what happened was that when it got cold the mount slide one notch over and the chattering started, then I must have tried wiping snow or ice and it moved it a notch or two which really made the problem bad. I tell my gf never to use the wipers to wipe snow or ice, I need to listen to my own advice. Anyways hope that helps some people, let me know if that does not make sense.

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='522516' date='Jan 24 2008, 09:36 PM
Simple non-warranty fix ... Move where it doesn't rain .

If that's not practical and an under-warranty replacement blade didn't solve the problem I too feel it's the wiper arm / spring tension that may be the problem. Some causes of chatter are when the blade isn't laid against the windshield at the proper angle, the rubber has deteriorated, or incorrect tension causes the blade to hop. Another tip that might work temporarily - wipe off the blade with a liquid dish detergent. You'd be surprised at the stuff that comes off even a new blade.

As for Rain-X, my own experience is that Rain-X+wipers don't improve the situation but cause more smearing than relying on Rain-X + road speed to sheet water off the windshield. But sometimes it's not practical or legal to drive fast enough .
Old 02-10-2009, 09:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Mine do chatter also if they are not used enough, now when they are used almost
every time I'm driving they work fine.

Seems that they kind of "dry out" if not used enough.

I have had three E60's now and never changed blades on any,
wiping result always perfect if no ice on the window/blades.

I do clean them with "window wash" and a rag once in a while.

Quick Reply: Windshield Wiper Chatter