E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Windshield Washer Pump Don't Work

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 04:05 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i BMW

My Windshield Washer fluid does not spray! The wipers work. I hear no motor when I pull the "window fluid" handle. I checked all fuses and they are not blown. I don't have a service manual. Does anyone have directions/instructions how to replace window washer pump?
Old 08-29-2012, 04:52 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by DonoVain
My Windshield Washer fluid does not spray! The wipers work. I hear no motor when I pull the "window fluid" handle. I checked all fuses and they are not blown. I don't have a service manual. Does anyone have directions/instructions how to replace window washer pump?
It's been covered before - search the DIYs
Old 08-29-2012, 06:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

There's a strainer/filter that covers the "nipple" of the washer fluid pump that resides in the tank. Over time, it gets clogged with debris. Remove the driver-side front wheel, undo the wheel well shields, you should see the tank and the pump. Pull the pump our of the tank, if the fluid doesn't gush out right away for sure means you have a clogged filter. Remove it from the opening, if there is any fluid in there, it will gush out. Take a can of compressed air and clean the strainer, put it back in the tank, reinstall the pump, fill the tank with washer fluid and you are done!
Old 08-30-2012, 05:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by toyota2bmw
There's a strainer/filter that covers the "nipple" of the washer fluid pump that resides in the tank. Over time, it gets clogged with debris. Remove the driver-side front wheel, undo the wheel well shields, you should see the tank and the pump. Pull the pump our of the tank, if the fluid doesn't gush out right away for sure means you have a clogged filter. Remove it from the opening, if there is any fluid in there, it will gush out. Take a can of compressed air and clean the strainer, put it back in the tank, reinstall the pump, fill the tank with washer fluid and you are done!
The pump is likely shot. I doubt it's debris. But even if it is, get a new pump since these have been known to crack and leak. $80 or so. Might as well since your going to be taking the wheel off and screws off the driver side wheel liner to get at the pump. The easiest DIY there is.

One thing I experienced. The replaced pump did not spray right away. Needed many button pushes of the spray stalk. I guess be patient and, for peice of mind, get it working before putting everything back together.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:11 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by toyota2bmw
I recall from the DIY that there was a "caution" about something (maybe that filter/strainer) coming loose and dropping into the reservoir when you remove the pump. I suggest you hunt for the DIY in this forum just to play it safe!
Old 08-30-2012, 12:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

From the pic the yellowish bottle in front of the tire is the reservoir. Fluid is Rainex in my case. The pump faces the tire close to the bottom. Car is my now retired 2008 535i.
Attached Thumbnails Windshield Washer Pump Don't Work-front-left-disassembled-3.jpg  
Old 08-30-2012, 03:28 PM
Senior Members

Before you pull everything apart try dropping a couple of those baby-bottle / or denture sterilizer tables in your half-full washer bottle. Leave them overnight and they should remove all the gunk blocking the strainers on the end of your washer pump. This has worked in over 60% of these blockages.

If that doesn't work, then as already said, take off the wheel and pull a couple of screws from the arch liner, pull back the plastic liner to expose the washer pump and bottle. remove the pump by pulling it up out of the bottle. There will be a black rubber washer left in the bottle, pull this out - carefully - because the strainer in on the end of this. Don't remove the strainer from the rubber washer (it's kinda glued on there) just soak it in some water and agitate to remove the gunk. Important - put the rubber washer with strainer back in the bottle, then fit the motor. It might not work for while as the pump and pipes are dry, just keep running the pump and it will. Sometimes you have to switch the ignition on and off toe get the pump to work, as it's internal resettable fuse will stop the motor to prevent burn-out until the water works its way through the system.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:36 AM
Members

what's denture sterilizer? can you link it?
Old 09-01-2012, 08:59 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by higher
Before you pull everything apart try dropping a couple of those baby-bottle / or denture sterilizer tables in your half-full washer bottle. Leave them overnight and they should remove all the gunk blocking the strainers on the end of your washer pump. This has worked in over 60% of these blockages.

If that doesn't work, then as already said, take off the wheel and pull a couple of screws from the arch liner, pull back the plastic liner to expose the washer pump and bottle. remove the pump by pulling it up out of the bottle. There will be a black rubber washer left in the bottle, pull this out - carefully - because the strainer in on the end of this. Don't remove the strainer from the rubber washer (it's kinda glued on there) just soak it in some water and agitate to remove the gunk. Important - put the rubber washer with strainer back in the bottle, then fit the motor. It might not work for while as the pump and pipes are dry, just keep running the pump and it will. Sometimes you have to switch the ignition on and off toe get the pump to work, as it's internal resettable fuse will stop the motor to prevent burn-out until the water works its way through the system.
The denture sterilizer tablet suggestion is s new one for me! I'd think since they are intended for use on ceramic materials they'd be too harsh for the motor / filter parts.

For me the best solution is "prevention". Using a quality premixed commercial auto windshield washer fluids helps - IF you make your own, use DISTILLED WATER - not straight from the tap. What you want to do is slow the formation of molds and other gunk because the washer fluid is used infrequently and sits in a container subject to the kind of climate conditions where molds flourish - warm and humid.

Using a fine filter when refilling also helps eliminate any debris getting into the canister since it will eventually fall to the bottom and clog the filter or if it gets beyond that causing a build up at the washer jets.