E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Windshield Washer Freezes

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007 | 05:56 PM
Members

My Ride: '07 manual M5 Black/Black/Tinted, HUD, Heated Rear Seats, Logic 7, iPod interface

Please tell me BMW had thought about the cold conditions and preventing blind driving: I drove 15 miles on the highway using only the lane lines as a reference because I could not was my windshield due to frozen lines. :thumbsdown: Headlight washers were working though. Windshield washer is -20F rated. Outside T -6F.

What do you guys think?
Old 02-07-2007 | 07:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i SGM Steptronic Dinan CAI Dinan TB GTech Pro RR

Originally Posted by Dr. George' post='388617' date='Feb 7 2007, 09:56 PM
Please tell me BMW had thought about the cold conditions and preventing blind driving: I drove 15 miles on the highway using only the lane lines as a reference because I could not was my windshield due to frozen lines. :thumbsdown: Headlight washers were working though. Windshield washer is -20F rated. Outside T -6F.

What do you guys think?
Makes no sense. Did you put the washer fluid in or did a dealer? I had this happen on another car after a quick oil change years ago but they had put in a water mixture that froze. This sub-zero weather sucks.... :thumbsdown:
Old 02-07-2007 | 07:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Are you talking about the washer jet nozzle?

I think in order to have them heated, you needed to turn on the rear defroster first. Same goes for heated mirrors.
Old 02-07-2007 | 07:54 PM
Members

My Ride: '07 manual M5 Black/Black/Tinted, HUD, Heated Rear Seats, Logic 7, iPod interface

Originally Posted by brandsb' post='388635' date='Feb 7 2007, 10:05 PM
Makes no sense. Did you put the washer fluid in or did a dealer? I had this happen on another car after a quick oil change years ago but they had put in a water mixture that froze. This sub-zero weather sucks.... :thumbsdown:
1. the Dealer did...
2. I didn't know about rear defroster, will try tomorrow - still cold
Old 02-07-2007 | 08:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I dunno... I too am guessing its not the fluid that froze over but the nozzle... -6 is cold! haha Last month I rented a jeep commander and it was only in the teens and the nozzle froze over. I couldnt get any washer fluid out of them either... I had the defrosters on full blast too. Rear wiper was frozen stuck... teens but a snow storm In those conditions I would NEVER drive my E60. Rental is the way to go.
Old 02-07-2007 | 08:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes CLS63 AMG Designo Graphite with white leather interior Keyless Go, Heated/Ventilated seats, Parktronic

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='388647' date='Feb 7 2007, 11:04 PM
I dunno... I too am guessing its not the fluid that froze over but the nozzle... -6 is cold! haha Last month I rented a jeep commander and it was only in the teens and the nozzle froze over. I couldnt get any washer fluid out of them either... I had the defrosters on full blast too. Rear wiper was frozen stuck... teens but a snow storm In those conditions I would NEVER drive my E60. Rental is the way to go.

The e60 is my daily driver in the winter and we've had temps approaching 20 below for the past 2 weeks or so in Minnesota. In fact, last week the WIND CHILL was 45 below. No problem starting, no problems whatsoever. There was light snow and it was a challenge to keep the front/rear window free of ice, otherwise it was a joy to be driving. Of course I have heated seats/steering wheel and I kept the front/rear defrost on for my entire commute.

Is there a way to have the defrost going at the same time the heat is distributed to the footwell? My feet were FREEZING!
Old 02-07-2007 | 09:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by wasupdu' post='388651' date='Feb 8 2007, 01:56 PM
The e60 is my daily driver in the winter and we've had temps approaching 20 below for the past 2 weeks or so in Minnesota. In fact, last week the WIND CHILL was 45 below. No problem starting, no problems whatsoever. There was light snow and it was a challenge to keep the front/rear window free of ice, otherwise it was a joy to be driving. Of course I have heated seats/steering wheel and I kept the front/rear defrost on for my entire commute.

Is there a way to have the defrost going at the same time the heat is distributed to the footwell? My feet were FREEZING!
You would need to adjust the air vents in your iDrive.

When I am driving the E46 in Canada, I have no problem of frozen windscreen, windshield washer nozzle, frozen rear glass or frozen side mirrors as all of those are heated and is standard on every model. I think the E60 would be better than the E46 in those things, agree?

I didn't even get the heated seat and I think Canada would be colder then most of the places in the States (except Alaska). So I don't know what's all the hype and complaint about cold weather here is all about
Old 02-08-2007 | 01:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Sport, carbon black, media pack, visibility pack, grey leather, heated seats, sun protection glass, voice control, Eibach ProKit, 19" 166 style wheels, e-maps ECU remap to 325hp and 640NM, top speed limiter removed

If anything is heated, then it is the nozzles. The piping system for the wash water is not. So make sure you keep an appropriate level of antifreeze in the wish wash bottle.
The heated wing mirrors do not need the heated rear window to operate. They come on automatically below a certain temperature.
Old 02-08-2007 | 02:17 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by olli_535d' post='388712' date='Feb 8 2007, 10:17 AM
So make sure you keep an appropriate level of antifreeze in the wish wash bottle.
When I went to school, antifreeze and car paintwork did not mix. Or maybe they did!!

ABC
Old 02-08-2007 | 03:13 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='388723' date='Feb 8 2007, 11:17 AM
When I went to school, antifreeze and car paintwork did not mix. Or maybe they did!!

ABC
Going to school was your mistake....

Quick Reply: Windshield Washer Freezes