E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Windshield Stress Cracks

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 08:05 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i Sport Package 6-speed, cold weather package, premium sound '07 Mercedes GL450 '07 Porsche 997 Carrera S

Woke up yesterday morning and discovered a nice 4 inch stress crack in the front windshield of my 545, originating from the driver's side windshield frame. Since then the crack has grown to about 10 inches. After calling the dealer and discovering that a replacement windshield will cost about $1300-$1400, I brought it in to their 'warranty inspector' . Sure enough, he confirmed that it is indeed a stress crack and not cause by any impact so it will be covered under the warranty. It is still a pain in the a** regardless to have to get it replaced after only having the car 9 months.

I'm curious as to whether this is a design flaw or just a simple case of a defective winshield.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?
Old 07-14-2005, 09:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Space Gray

hey buddy...had the same thing happen only after TWO months of ownership....same exact situation, except it originated from the passenger side pillar.....i put a post on here last month when it happened....it was replaced just as yours was under warranty....cheers....jj
Old 07-14-2005, 10:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

Happened to me too and also replaced under warranty. Do a search on the forum. Been posted on here several times.

I guess I wonder if it's going to keep happening to us.

Originally Posted by nappyjack' date='Jul 14 2005, 11:58 AM
hey buddy...had the same thing happen only after TWO months of ownership....same exact situation, except it originated from the passenger side pillar.....i put a post on here last month when it happened....it was replaced just as yours was under warranty....cheers....jj
[snapback]149107[/snapback]
Old 07-14-2005, 12:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Happened to me.

But Florida is a $0 deductible glass insurance state... so my insurance replaced the windhsield for free.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:07 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545i Sport Package 6-speed, cold weather package, premium sound '07 Mercedes GL450 '07 Porsche 997 Carrera S

What kind of luck is this? So, as I posted earlier, I took my 545 to be inspected by the 'warranty inspector' at the dealer this morning for stress crack in the windshield. He stated that there was no impact from anything hitting the glass, so it would be classified as a defect and thus covered under the warranty. Sure enough, I drive home from work this evening and there is some gravel on the road which the car in front of me kicks up. I hear one of the stones hit the windshield and cringe. I was completely amazed to see that the stone hit and chipped the windshield exactly on the stress crack line. I'm talking about a 10 inch line that is about the width of a hair. Of all the surface area of the windshield, the rock nailed it right on the crack! Thankfully I already got the approval this morning for the warranty coverage. Had I waited one more day to bring it in, they most likely would have said that it was caused by the stone hitting the windshield...A close call to say the least
Old 07-14-2005, 09:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i ordered - built 1/05 - arrived 3/16/05 . Silver Gray - Biege Interior. Sports Package, Steptronics, Comfort Seats, Cold Weather Package, Rear Fold Down Seats, Sat Radio. Mods: Seatback Hangar, Trunk Net, Umbrella.
Smile

Originally Posted by mclc26' date='Jul 14 2005, 10:07 PM
What kind of luck is this?? So, as I posted earlier, I took my 545 to be inspected by the 'warranty inspector' at the dealer this morning for stress crack in the windshield.? He stated that there was no impact from anything hitting the glass, so it would be classified as a defect and thus covered under the warranty.? Sure enough, I drive home from? work this evening and there is some gravel on the road which the car in front of me kicks up.? I hear one of the stones hit the windshield and cringe.? I was completely amazed to see that the stone hit and chipped the windshield exactly on the stress crack line.? I'm talking about a 10 inch line that is about the width of a hair.? Of all the surface area of the windshield, the rock nailed it right on the crack! Thankfully I already got the approval this morning for the warranty coverage.? Had I waited one more day to bring it in, they most likely would have said that it was caused by the stone hitting the windshield...A close call to say the least
[snapback]149280[/snapback]

I had a rock hit my 3 week old 545i and had a technican from a glass company meet me at client and fix it. Two months later my stress crack appear on the passenger pillar - 6 inches and within couple of days 10 inches. Took it to my service manger who is great and knows me well. My last 530i had a cracked windshield a couple months earlier - we shared cost on repairs as it happenned or appear while in for service. I paid the parts him the labor. My wife's 2004 325i also got rock chipped two month earlier now - two windshields, two glass stars later, in less than 6 months.

The worst glass incidence was my new 1996 Audi A4Q that exploded a sunroof at 185 mils old. A rock the size of my fist bounced up off the highway - the cover was closed and saved me. It was considered an "act of god" by insurance and had to pay my deductible.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

That's crazy you all have to go through so much trouble to fix glass.

When I lived in South Carolina, and now in Florida.... both states have zero deductible glass insurance laws.

That means that ALL vehicle glass, regardless of location, is replaced for free by your auto insurance, required by law.

Of course, it also means if you have a crack on any glass surface, you could get a ticket.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:13 AM
Contributors

Just wondering, as many of us have had stress fractures in our windows, After replacement has it occured again ?
Old 08-28-2005, 03:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 525i, titanium gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, red rear reflectors, chromed std 545 oem wheels

AFter 11k miles over 8 months, had a stress crack happened just last week. Service tech had manager sign off and all was replaced under warranty. It was because of the posts on this board, that I knew to take it in and claim the stress crack. Thank you E60 Forum.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver/Black/Poplar: Steptronic, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, NAV & Shades

I had a stress crack at about 2 months old. Fully covered by warranty. Here in RHode Island glass coverage is not required by law but I am with on eof th eonly insurance companies that offeres it.

Quick Reply: Windshield Stress Cracks