E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Windshield replacement and HUD

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 07:16 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

I had a cracked windshield and had to have it replaced. My dealer referred me to a glass retailer that looks up the windshield for my car and asked me if I have rain sensor wipers. I respond yes and they order my windshield. I stupidly did not tell them I have HUD. :thumbsdown: Once installed, I pick up my car and notice that the HUD is blurry and that the background orange display is substantially more noticeable than ever before. Now, after several conversations with the glass retailer, which is a reputable company in my area and has assured me that they will correct it if they installed the wrong windshield. My service rep has had a conversation with the owner of the glass retailer and the BMW area representative, and says that BMW does not make a special windshield for the Head Up Display (What???) and that the HUD probably just needs to be adjusted/refocused. I suppose that is worth a try, but what the %$#@. I know a special windshield is required for HUD. RIGHT?? How can the BMW guys not know this?

I know I will get this right eventually, but what a pain in the you know what.

Beware, if you have HUD and need to replace the windshield, pay attention to what they plan to install.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:44 AM
Members

My Ride: UK 2006 530D MSport. Auto, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, 172 19" Mixed Wheels, Visibility, Media Pack, Sun Protective Glass, Hi-Fi Speaker System, Heated Seats, Enhanced voice control, M Lip Spoiler.

Don't have HUD but from previous posts I'm pretty sure that you're correct and the HUD is a "special". I understand it actiually says HUD on the part number on the screen or thereabouts..!!??
I had the conversation with my local glass vendor (who happens to be next door to the BMW dealer) yesterday. We went through the "what options do you have questions" etc. I stated that I wished to have a genuine BMW part to ensure everything is correct, after discussing the chances of getting the wrong or sub-standard screen and my general concerns they eventually obliged. They contacted the BMW dealer and asked them to order based on vehicle chassis number etc.. They will do the work while the car is at the dealer anyway next week. Pretty good service eventually.. RAC Windscreens (UK)
Old 02-18-2006, 02:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Good advice. One more thing to do if anyone else needs a new windshield -- show the dealer or installer the following post from the forum FAQ here:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&showtop...indpost&p=29657
Old 02-18-2006, 02:54 AM
Members

You are right. Do not have HUD but replaced windshield a few weeks ago. Glass company asked a long list of questions including "Do you have HUD?" . They did confirm HUD has a special windshield. Dealer also confirmed it.

Your glass retailer and local BMW reps are idiots.
Old 02-18-2006, 05:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='242209' date='Feb 18 2006, 05:44 AM
Good advice. One more thing to do if anyone else needs a new windshield -- show the dealer or installer the following post from the forum FAQ here:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&showtop...indpost&p=29657
Thanks Rudy, you are awesome. This information is huge. I will take it to the idiots at my dealership Monday. I feel so much better now as this has really been bugging me.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

You're welcome Mark. I actually assumed you already saw it since you seemed to know about the fact that the HUD windshield is different from the "normal" one.

Good luck getting things resolved...
Old 02-18-2006, 09:31 AM
Members

TRULY SCARY!!!

An authorized BMW dealership service employee and they were this ignorant!

I couldn't pour urine out of a boot, with directions on the heel, but I do know that HUD requires special windshield!

Again, we all shop for the best dealer price for initial purchase, but I can't emphasize enough that I would rather pay more initially and be served by a competent, quality BMW dealer!.

Good luck on your education process with these moron's, but remeber , DO NOT get into an argument with them, as they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!
Old 02-18-2006, 10:43 AM
Senior Members

markt540i - did you file a claim with the insurance company, and if so, did they give you any hassels?!

Sorry about the hassell, it always sucks....

Cheers,
Old 02-18-2006, 11:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Mine was replaced almost a year ago due to cracked windshield....by BMW - no problems. I also confirmed HUD specification under the rubber seal.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Originally Posted by markt540i' post='242114' date='Feb 18 2006, 05:16 AM
I had a cracked windshield and had to have it replaced. My dealer referred me to a glass retailer that looks up the windshield for my car and asked me if I have rain sensor wipers. I respond yes and they order my windshield. I stupidly did not tell them I have HUD. :thumbsdown: Once installed, I pick up my car and notice that the HUD is blurry and that the background orange display is substantially more noticeable than ever before. Now, after several conversations with the glass retailer, which is a reputable company in my area and has assured me that they will correct it if they installed the wrong windshield. My service rep has had a conversation with the owner of the glass retailer and the BMW area representative, and says that BMW does not make a special windshield for the Head Up Display (What???) and that the HUD probably just needs to be adjusted/refocused. I suppose that is worth a try, but what the %$#@. I know a special windshield is required for HUD. RIGHT?? How can the BMW guys not know this?

I know I will get this right eventually, but what a pain in the you know what.

Beware, if you have HUD and need to replace the windshield, pay attention to what they plan to install.
no that is BS man, a replacement is like 4-5000$ so it is indeed spec windshield needed for HUD. Do not belive it that is why I have the best insurrance...

Quick Reply: Windshield replacement and HUD