E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Windshield replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 02:40 PM
hks
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 550i Sport

Alright peeps i ordered my windshield from the dealer but my friend is gonna install it for me. Can someone tell me where the rain sensors are located and is putting in the windshied easy 1-2-3? Just want to know if there are any special requirements when changing it. Thanks
Old 02-02-2010, 03:04 PM
Senior Members

i just had Safelite replace mine w/ a OEM windshield about 3 weeks ago. and after reading all the pro's & con's i specifically asked that they send out their best technician with experience on high end cars. i watched him do every step with extreme caution. you could tell he had done this many times. the rain sensor is located in the center of the windshield right infront of the rear view mirror.

note: on previous threads people have mentioned about a wind noise on the E60 after their windshield replacement was done. i found that it is caused by the side moldings that run along each side of the windshield. during replacement there are 5 clips on each side that hold these moldings in place. they become very loose and brittle and sometimes even break but no-one ever replaces them causing the molding to appear snapped in....but it's really not tight and wind travels under them which is noticable above 50mph!

i had this issue so the technician ordered new clips and the problem was solved!
part #51317064098 - $0.82 each (qty 5 per side - total 10)

just a heads up for the future!
Old 02-02-2010, 03:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i M sport

Originally Posted by hks
Alright peeps i ordered my windshield from the dealer but my friend is gonna install it for me. Can someone tell me where the rain sensors are located and is putting in the windshied easy 1-2-3? Just want to know if there are any special requirements when changing it. Thanks

Forgive me, but if your friend is not sure of how to do it, I wouldn't let him/her. This is a very expensive windshield and this is not a car to be experimenting with. That being said, the rain sensor is attached to the back of the rear view mirror...good luck
Old 02-02-2010, 03:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 525i
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by nikko64
Forgive me, but if your friend is not sure of how to do it, I wouldn't let him/her. This is a very expensive windshield and this is not a car to be experimenting with. That being said, the rain sensor is attached to the back of the rear view mirror...good luck
+1
Old 02-02-2010, 04:18 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by NguyenAzn
+1
+2

IMHO not a job for someone who has not previously R&R'ed lots of BMW windshields.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by hks
In addition to the sound "Don't let your 'friend' install the windshield" advice already offered, I have to add one comment...

You mentioned HUD in the subject but not in your post. Assuming you have HUD, you have to make sure that you received a HUD windshield. We've seen more than one instance here where even the dealer ordered the wrong part because they forgot to ask the simple question "Do you have the HUD?" and they ordered a normal windshield for the customer.

If you install a non-HUD windshield into a HUD car, the HUD image will be blurry/double.

Take a look here for more info on this:
https://5series.net/forums/topic/271...post__p__29657
Old 02-03-2010, 08:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 528i

I recently had mine replaced by a company that state farm recommended. The guy had no clue how to put on the rain sensor and I lost the ability to use my wipers intermittently. I had to take my car into the dealership and have their glass guy redo the rain sensor. Get a recommendation from your BMW dealership and save yourself a headache. I found out my wipers didn't work properly during a rainstorm and had to manually use my wipers when the rain settled down...what a pain!
Old 02-04-2010, 08:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

That guy must of been an idiot. The rain sensor simply plugs into the harness, and sticks to the windshield under the rear view mirror.
I'd let the dealer do the work....but only if they have a tech that is trained in windshield replacement. Some do, and some have 3rd party companies come in and do the work such as Safelite.
I went the Safelite route first because my insurance. They "attempted" 3 times with 3 oem bmw windshields and 3 different "experienced" techs. All 3 had no clue and figured it out as they went along. One broke the cowl trim cover, one broke one of the clips that holds the side trim pieces down, and the other one chewed up the nut that holds the wiper on since he didn't have a propper puller and used vise grips to pull it off. After the 3rd attempt (each attempt ended with excessive wind noise) I bitched enough to my insurance and they sent me to the dealer to have them install another windshield, and replace the broken items. My local dealer has an in-house windshield tech, and he was able to complete the task on the first attempt...no probs what-so-ever.
Most insurances will try and go the cheap route, since the dealer charges around $2200, and safelite charges around $700.....but again if it were me, I'd go to the dealer and pay the difference out of pocket.....again, assuming the dealer has a trained windshield tech.

Good Luck