E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Windshield Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 08:34 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

Well........got a crack in my windshield today
Currently it's 6-8 inches long.
For the people that have gotten new windshields.....did you get a new one from the dealer or aftermarket from Safelite or somewhere? Is one better than the other? I would think a oem bmw windshield would be better mainly because there would be a bmw tech installing it vs some joe bob working out of a van
Last, whats the price difference between dealer and aftermarket?
Thanks for any info
Old 09-21-2009, 08:45 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

first question kinda unrelated. Do u have full glass coverage? They may give u a safelite brand depending on ur car. If u have HUD, u'll definitely need the BMW glass. Safelite's glass isnt bad.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:14 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg' post='1013471' date='Sep 21 2009, 11:45 PM
first question kinda unrelated. Do u have full glass coverage? They may give u a safelite brand depending on ur car. If u have HUD, u'll definitely need the BMW glass. Safelite's glass isnt bad.
insurance wise? I'll have to check and find out if I have full glass coverage. No HUD, so that's a bonus. Not worried about safelite glass....I'm concerned with the knucklehead installer screwing something up.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:56 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by ktlocklear' post='1013505' date='Sep 22 2009, 01:14 AM
insurance wise? I'll have to check and find out if I have full glass coverage. No HUD, so that's a bonus. Not worried about safelite glass....I'm concerned with the knucklehead installer screwing something up.
Find out who your BMW dealer uses and go there. I believe most BMW dealers outsource this service, at least mine does. G/L
Old 09-22-2009, 05:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

mine just was replaced by safelite on friday after a crack as well... and although my son (not even us) realized that it doesnt have that dark tinted area at the top of the windshield i cant complain. im going to call them and see what happens. i want what i had. period!but make sure to tell them you had the sensors you had on your car and anything else you can think of.

safelite had to order the glass from bmw. but they replaced it in my driveway in about 45 min. seemed easy and i believe it was done well. i havent had torrential rain or anything yet though. lol. i havent even washed it since friday. i paid nothing either it was all covered. hope this helps
Old 09-22-2009, 05:47 AM
Senior Members

Thanks for the comments everyone.....I'll call bmw and see how they do it. I assumed that they installed their own windshields...I guess thats not the case everywhere?
My only beef with safelite is about 15 years ago, they replaced a windshield on one of my other cars. Come to find out about 5 years after that, I cracked the windshield again...so safelite came out and replaced it again. When they pulled the windshield there was rust from where the previous guy scratched/ gouged the paint under the windshield and trim causing rust which had to be corrected by a body shop.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:54 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by melimel' post='1013706' date='Sep 22 2009, 08:02 AM
mine just was replaced by safelite on friday after a crack as well... and although my son (not even us) realized that it doesnt have that dark tinted area at the top of the windshield i cant complain. im going to call them and see what happens. i want what i had. period!but make sure to tell them you had the sensors you had on your car and anything else you can think of.

safelite had to order the glass from bmw. but they replaced it in my driveway in about 45 min. seemed easy and i believe it was done well. i havent had torrential rain or anything yet though. lol. i havent even washed it since friday. i paid nothing either it was all covered. hope this helps
Are you sure yours had the tint on the top? Mine has HUD and has no tint on the top edge. I actually prefer it that way since I have my Valentine1 installed up high and its not affected by any tint line.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:26 AM
Senior Members

My SA just quoted me $2000 for a windshield replacement....holy christ!
Old 09-22-2009, 02:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Originally Posted by Veight' post='1013744' date='Sep 22 2009, 09:54 AM
Are you sure yours had the tint on the top? Mine has HUD and has no tint on the top edge. I actually prefer it that way since I have my Valentine1 installed up high and its not affected by any tint line.
well want to hear something funny? my original windshield did. i believe it was tinted greenish.. anyway. my son notice that the new one wasnt. so thats when we called back safelite. they said they ordered from bmw what was stock with all options for my car, but we couldnt understand why it didnt have the tint. anyway, we called the dealer, and my s/a ran my vin number and it turns out my car never should have had that tint up top in the first place! so it seems my car came off the lot like that. im assuming it was produced with the wrong glass in it?.. but my g.f has the same exact car and got hers a few months after mine and hers has the tint up top as well. i dont get it! so i guess im stuck with it as plain as it is. i think i just like being darkened in my car
Old 09-22-2009, 02:15 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ktlocklear' post='1014010' date='Sep 22 2009, 02:26 PM
My SA just quoted me $2000 for a windshield replacement....holy christ!
forgot to answer this.. they did that to me too.. you can have safelite order the glass from bmw, thus making it oem.. and then safelite installs in and you should pay minimal or even nothing. thats what happened to me. if deal;er installs it its fu%&&ng you royally, but if safelite does it its cheaper. go figure.

Quick Reply: Windshield Replacement?