E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Windshield protection plan coverage

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 10:27 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi E60 lovers,
I bought my 525i on May, at the time of purchase the BMW sales agent suggested I should purchase the "Windshield Protection Plan Coverage" According to him, in any event that something happened to my windshield, it would be replaced by a BMW original part without having to pay a deductible. It sounded so convenient so I went ahead and bought it.

Unfortunately I had a cracked windshield, something you never expect to happen but it did, so I called the claims phone number, they directed me to one of their partner windshield shops and they replaced the windshield so I'm happy again

A couple of months after this event I received a letter from the glass company that my repair or replacement was not covered by my insurance and that they denied the claim. I called the insurance company (Nations Motor Club Inc) and according to them whenever a replacement of windshield is needed, they need to be advised about this. I would expect their windshield shop to know about this, but they claim that they do not know anything about this.

Now I'm stuck with an invoice for $459 for the windshield replacement plus what BMW charged me for the added coverage.

This whole issue has been a big headache to deal with it and I'm so tired of it.

I would like to hear about other people that bought the windshield protection plan and that they have actually used it, what was your experience with it?

Is this protection offered in every BMW dealership in the states?

Sorry about the long posting
Old 09-09-2004, 05:55 PM
Senior Members

Out of curiosity, I would like to know how much it was. I'm really surprised that they didn't cover the windshield, especially after they told you who to go to. Did you tell the shop that you had this coverage?
Old 09-09-2004, 08:24 PM
Members

Was not offered in California. I have insurane through State Farm and they cover windshield replaeement for only 100 dollars. Call your bmw dealership and talk to the finance and service manager. Advise them you will be suiing and complaining to BMW and BBB.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:27 PM
Senior Members

The details (Like price) may vary between dealerships:

Policy premium $219, 3 year protection plan
Company that offers it: Nations Safe Driver (NSD), its called Windshield protection plan

I provided a copy of the policy to the shop when I got there.

I'm currently preparing a letter addressed to the "Claims manager" stating all the events, hopefully they'll reconsider this. Will post the result.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:36 PM
Senior Members

Thanks for the advice bimmeroc, I will proceed to do that as well.

My car insurance is with Farmers Insurance Group, I never asked how much the deductible was for windshield replacement. The sales agent did mention that sometimes traditional insurance companies want to replace parts like windshields with non-BMW parts and that it could cause a problem with the rain sensing device. That statement convinced me even more of the convenience of the plan

One thing for sure is that I will never buy any of those "extra" protection plans again.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:18 AM
Senior Members

Don't let this spoil your experience. Most of the extra plans are great. Like tire & wheel coverage... that is simply excellent.
I think the windshield coverage is a great idea, especially since SO many people have been having cracking windshields and BMW is refusing to warranty them.
Now in some states, like Florida, windshields are replaced free under insurance. Some insurance companies also offer that coverage.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

My insurance covers the windshield to. I have a broken windshield now and just called them. The dealer can fix it and send the invoice to the insurer. Insurer will pay dealer. This will not affect my no-claim bonus and I don't have to pay "my own risk part" due to the fact that I put it on 0.
Old 09-12-2004, 06:44 PM
Members

WIU-Bimmer,

I live in Austin too, and bought my 530 with the tire and winshield warranties. I had a flat and basically just took the car into the dealership...they had my warranty info in their database and had the tire replaced without me having to lift a finger or call anyone else. I imagine the same kind of customer service would be dealt with concerning a cracked winshield. Next time, just let the dealership take care of any warranty work...especially since you bought the warranty from them. It will then be on their backs to make sure all the appropriate people are called!
Old 09-12-2004, 09:02 PM
Tim530

If your dealership does not replace a cracked windshield then go somewhere else or call BMW NA. As long as the crack is a stress crack and not from a rock they HAVE to replace it.

I had a stress crack and had zero problems with warranty replacing it. The only negative I had was that they got the window glue on my paint and tried to rub it off which damaged the paint. Now I'm having that taken care of.

Again, you DO NOT need extra protection to replace stress cracks.

TIM
Old 09-12-2004, 09:15 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Sifford' date='Sep 12 2004, 08:44 PM
WIU-Bimmer,

I live in Austin too, and bought my 530 with the tire and winshield warranties. I had a flat and basically just took the car into the dealership...they had my warranty info in their database and had the tire replaced without me having to lift a finger or call anyone else. I imagine the same kind of customer service would be dealt with concerning a cracked winshield. Next time, just let the dealership take care of any warranty work...especially since you bought the warranty from them. It will then be on their backs to make sure all the appropriate people are called!
Thanks Sifford,

Initially I did take it to the dealership but they would not replaced it since according to them the crack was not stress related, then told me to contact the phone number listed on the policy (Claims number).
I also bought the tire and wheel protection plan.

I wonder if the your tire flat was repaired by BMW or the actual insurance company that provides the protection plan, from what you're saying it sounds like it was repaired by BMW.

This week I'm contacting BMW NA, the insurance company and the glass shop to sstraighten this issue

Quick Reply: Windshield protection plan coverage