E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Windscreen Wipers

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 11:35 PM

perfect for me! live in hk, right hand side driving here! =)
Old 06-03-2004, 11:42 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guest in HK,

Are you saying that your windscreen wipers are moving from left to right? i.e. the correct way for a right hand drive car???? I think if you check, it might be incorrect and move from right to left.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:15 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although it pains me to say it, I had an E-Class a few years back that had a single centre blade that kind of jogged up at the corners so both sides equally and completely wiped.....It sure had ugly headlights though!
Old 06-04-2004, 05:56 AM
Senior Members

why do they not make those wipers anymore? bmw never adopted it either.
Old 06-04-2004, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by ethanbmw' date='Jun 4 2004, 09:56 AM
why do they not make those wipers anymore? bmw never adopted it either.
In a way, BMW adopted that single blade technology (dicussed by Doctor Diesel) but improved on it as well.

The "breakthrough" technology that M-B started (I think back in the 80's with the 190, remember that one?) was a single wiper arm that had some sort of cam action that allowed it to sweep in a parabolic arc instead of a circular arc. This provided a increase in "sweep area" on the windshield compared to a single, circular arc wiper. It did a good job at the top of the glass but it left some "triangles" at the corners. A triangle on the passenger side is acceptable but not as acceptable on the driver's side.

BMW, as far as I know, never used a single wiper arm. Instead they utilize two arms but if you watch carefully, it does have the parabolic (cam) sweep that allows for much better coverage of the windshield area. Having the main arm located in the traditional place but adding the cam to improve the sweep allows it to remove the driver's side triangle almost completely. Obviously, a second arm is needed to take care of the passenger side.

Not sure if you've noticed but the newer M-B's have switched back to a dual arm system as well. I think the single arm system looked cool but was never as practical as the dual arm systems.

Again, the breakthrough was the cam, not the position of the arm. BMW did, in fact, utilize the important technology but used it in conjunction with a proven design to produce the best possible solution. No gimmicks, just results.
Old 06-04-2004, 06:16 AM
Booked525iA

Hey Guys,

I've an alternative view here.

Take for e.g. a RHD car, if the wipers start sweeping from left to right, the left wiper will sweep the rain water from the left side of the windscreen to the right side of the windscreen (smack right in front of the driver, for RHD car), thus blurring the right side of the windscreen. However if the wipers start sweeping from right to left, the right wiper will sweep the rain water from the right side of the windscreen to the left side of the windscreen (passenger's side).

My current RHD E46 has wipers sweeping left to right, and during heavy rain, torrents of rain water get swept by the left wiper to the driver-side of the windscreen!
Old 06-04-2004, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah but then you're left with that pesky "triangle" in the corner of the driver's side that I was referring to above.
Old 06-04-2004, 02:11 PM
Contributors

Yes that pesky "triangle" is the main issue.
I see the alternative view by "Booked525iA" but I didn't experience that much while driving my RHD E46.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:31 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jun 4 2004, 08:09 AM
[quote name='ethanbmw' date='Jun 4 2004, 09:56 AM'] why do they not make those wipers anymore?? bmw never adopted it either.
In a way, BMW adopted that single blade technology (dicussed by Doctor Diesel) but improved on it as well.

The "breakthrough" technology that M-B started (I think back in the 80's with the 190, remember that one?) was a single wiper arm that had some sort of cam action that allowed it to sweep in a parabolic arc instead of a circular arc. This provided a increase in "sweep area" on the windshield compared to a single, circular arc wiper. It did a good job at the top of the glass but it left some "triangles" at the corners. A triangle on the passenger side is acceptable but not as acceptable on the driver's side.

BMW, as far as I know, never used a single wiper arm. Instead they utilize two arms but if you watch carefully, it does have the parabolic (cam) sweep that allows for much better coverage of the windshield area. Having the main arm located in the traditional place but adding the cam to improve the sweep allows it to remove the driver's side triangle almost completely. Obviously, a second arm is needed to take care of the passenger side.

Not sure if you've noticed but the newer M-B's have switched back to a dual arm system as well. I think the single arm system looked cool but was never as practical as the dual arm systems.

Again, the breakthrough was the cam, not the position of the arm. BMW did, in fact, utilize the important technology but used it in conjunction with a proven design to produce the best possible solution. No gimmicks, just results. [/quote]
The wiper on E60 is a real let down. It is very loud when sweeping across the windscreen. MB wiper does not have this problem and operates in silence. I cannot understand why a luxury car like E60 has so lousy wipers. Any suggestion to reduce the noise of the wipers?
Old 06-05-2004, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator

What sound are you referring to? Is it a mechanical sound or are you talking about the sound of friction between the blade and the glass?

Quick Reply: Windscreen Wipers