E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Windows/sunroof rolled down by itself

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 06:36 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I was washing my car and I turned the CD on while the key was not on the ignition. After a few minutes, all windows rolled down. I'm in the US so I don't even have the functionality to roll the windows down with my key (I believe you can activate this in the European version).

I think I've seen similar cases here so is this a software update issue?
Old 10-02-2006, 07:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Actually U.S. cars do have the functionality to roll down all the windows and open the sunroof by holding down the unlock button on the key. We don't have the ability to then close them, that is what the Europeans have that we don't. BMW figures we'll injure/kill ourselves over here, then sue them.

If the key was in your pocket, I could understand accidentally pressing the unlock and making this happen. But with the key in the ignition is a bit odd...
Old 10-02-2006, 07:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' post='340833' date='Oct 2 2006, 10:36 AM
I was washing my car and I turned the CD on while the key was not on the ignition. After a few minutes, all windows rolled down. I'm in the US so I don't even have the functionality to roll the windows down with my key (I believe you can activate this in the European version).

Cue the Twilight Zone music.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:27 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' post='340833
Actually U.S. cars do have the functionality to roll down all the windows and open the sunroof by holding down the unlock button on the key. We don't have the ability to then close them, that is what the Europeans have that we don't.
If the key was in your pocket, I could understand accidentally pressing the unlock and making this happen. But with the key in the ignition is a bit odd...
Thank you for correcting me on the roll down window functionality, as you can see on my comment quote, the key was NOT on the ignition, they were on my pocket so what might have happened was that I probably press it while I was cleaning the wheels
Old 10-02-2006, 07:37 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' post='340859' date='Oct 2 2006, 10:27 AM
Thank you for correcting me on the roll down window functionality, as you can see on my comment quote, the key was NOT on the ignition, they were on my pocket so what might have happened was that I probably press it while I was cleaning the wheels
Sorry about that, blew right past the NOT part. Can you turn the CD on without the key in the ignition? I've never tried, but assumed you needed the key to turn on the stereo.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='340861' date='Oct 2 2006, 11:37 PM
Sorry about that, blew right past the NOT part. Can you turn the CD on without the key in the ignition? I've never tried, but assumed you needed the key to turn on the stereo.
Apparently, you can turn on the stereo without inserting the key. I've tried that.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:57 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by AC_S5' post='340867' date='Oct 2 2006, 10:54 AM
Apparently, you can turn on the stereo without inserting the key. I've tried that.
Wow, it'll 3 years since I got car in February and I did not know/had not tried that. Just goes to show, you learn something new everyday.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='340869' date='Oct 2 2006, 11:57 AM
Wow, it'll 3 years since I got car in February and I did not know/had not tried that. Just goes to show, you learn something new everyday.
Isn't that one of those nav/no nav things? I think you can only play the stereo without the key on non-nav cars.

Then again, with all the versions of software out there, I may just be confused...
Old 10-02-2006, 09:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='340869' date='Oct 2 2006, 11:57 PM
ya tell me about it
Old 10-02-2006, 09:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' post='340833' date='Oct 2 2006, 10:36 PM

Yes I happened to me too last year.
all windows & sunroof opened the next moring when I got up and got the car.
but it has not done this for a long time now so I will try the unlock key and see if it opens the windows & roof.
My car is a Hong Kong.
I will tell you if it works on Tuseday.

Quick Reply: Windows/sunroof rolled down by itself