E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Window washing fluid

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 01:58 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='387064' date='Feb 3 2007, 10:38 AM
Is it easy to perform an ad hoc check of the level on an e90? On my e60 I just wait for the "bing".
Same... bing @ ~ 1 litre remaining (and sensitive to incline of car)
Old 02-03-2007, 01:59 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='387065' date='Feb 3 2007, 10:43 AM
... do not use the windscreen spray at all (this is the hardest part)... wait for a couple of weeks... if the warning light comes up saying the washer fluid is low... there is a chance you have a leak.
Of course, depending on the severity of any leak the duration of the wait until the alarm comes on will be arbitraty so, as a methodology for determining a leak, could be somewhat difficult.

ABC
Old 02-03-2007, 02:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='387069' date='Feb 3 2007, 10:59 AM
Of course, depending on the severity of any leak the duration of the wait until the alarm comes on will be arbitraty so, as a methodology for determining a leak, could be somewhat difficult.
Yes... of course this is true...
there's a few other ways you can look at it

- if the tank doesn't drain in a couple of weeks then even if you do have a small leak is bad enough to worry about (e.g. you have a leak but it takes 2 months to drain the tank... would you care?). The time interval/threshold is a subjective choice in this kind of test and for me 2 weeks was a good threshold as I was filling the tank and slightly less than that already
- this very crude and unscientific test helped me and others confirm that we did indeed have a leak... before that I was being told that I was probably using the spray too much ... the only way to prove that was not true was not to use any spray and see what happened
- of course you could just go to the dealer and say I 'think' I might have a leak and let them do all the detective work. If you don't mind the hassle of doing that and being without your car then that's your choice...