E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Window washing fluid

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 10:05 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dawi' post='386768' date='Feb 2 2007, 01:42 PM
The amount of water I have to use to refill the resevoir every week is testement to this fact.
LOL I have the car for more than 2 months now and I am yet to fill the reservoir
Old 02-02-2007, 01:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 520d M-sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Auburn Leather - Mem Seat - Cup Holders - Nav Pro - Light Pack - Dim/folding mirrors - Adv Airco - PDC - Aux/in - Non-smoke pack - De-badged - Delivery Mar 31, 2006

I solved this earthly problem in a simple way: I did not order the headlight washers so no worry for me :-))
Old 02-02-2007, 04:15 PM
Members

My Ride: 520d saloon, manual 6 ratios, olivin metallic, star spoke 122 alloys, delete boot badge, bi-xenon adaptive headlights including washers, graduated tinted windscreen, exterior and interior mirror auto dimming plus electric folding door mirrors, extended light package, dakota beige leather, dark poplar wood, electric seat adjustment including memory function, heated front seats, advanced climate control, velour floor mats, sliding front armrest, lumbar support for front seats.

Originally Posted by the-oneil' post='386772' date='Feb 2 2007, 07:05 PM
LOL I have the car for more than 2 months now and I am yet to fill the reservoir
You either can't be doing many miles, it only rains on clean roads in London or your headlight washers don't work....
Old 02-02-2007, 05:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530Xi - Navigation, Premium package, Steptronic.

Originally Posted by dawi' post='386912' date='Feb 2 2007, 08:15 PM
You either can't be doing many miles, it only rains on clean roads in London or your headlight washers don't work....
Try REJEX on your car, and you won't care when the headlight sprayers come on...really!
Old 02-03-2007, 12:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by dawi' post='386768' date='Feb 2 2007, 06:42 PM
The amount of water I have to use to refill the resevoir every week is testement to this fact.
dawi...

Have you ever checked to see if you have a leak in the hose system?
When I got my E90, I was filling the washer fluid reservoir every 1-2 weeks. A number of people on the E90 forums convinced me that was not unusual due to the amount of fluid used by the headlight washers. Eventually, I did a test where I didn't use them at all for a few weeks and the level still went down (more than could be attributed to evaporation). I went into the dealer and they found that there was a leak in the hose system feeding the headlight washers. It was fixed and since then, I only refill every 2 months+ (and I like to use it quite a bit).
Old 02-03-2007, 01:03 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d saloon, manual 6 ratios, olivin metallic, star spoke 122 alloys, delete boot badge, bi-xenon adaptive headlights including washers, graduated tinted windscreen, exterior and interior mirror auto dimming plus electric folding door mirrors, extended light package, dakota beige leather, dark poplar wood, electric seat adjustment including memory function, heated front seats, advanced climate control, velour floor mats, sliding front armrest, lumbar support for front seats.

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='387055' date='Feb 3 2007, 09:50 AM
dawi...

Have you ever checked to see if you have a leak in the hose system?
When I got my E90, I was filling the washer fluid reservoir every 1-2 weeks. A number of people on the E90 forums convinced me that was not unusual due to the amount of fluid used by the headlight washers. Eventually, I did a test where I didn't use them at all for a few weeks and the level still went down (more than could be attributed to evaporation). I went into the dealer and they found that there was a leak in the hose system feeding the headlight washers. It was fixed and since then, I only refill every 2 months+ (and I like to use it quite a bit).
I can't say I've noticed any wet patches under the car in dry weather so I don't think so. Maybe i just chose a very dirty route to work - I do like a clean screen so I probably use the washers more than some others. I'lll keep an eye out though for any wet areas around the car or under the bonnet. Where did you notice this on your E90 - or did it evaporate as soon as it leaked?
Old 02-03-2007, 01:06 AM
Senior Members

I did a test where I didn't use them at all for a few weeks and the level still went down
I haven't looked in detail on the e60. Can you see the level? Or is the pipe straight enough to use some kind of dip stick?

ABC
Old 02-03-2007, 01:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by dawi' post='387056' date='Feb 3 2007, 10:03 AM
I can't say I've noticed any wet patches under the car in dry weather so I don't think so. Maybe i just chose a very dirty route to work - I do like a clean screen so I probably use the washers more than some others. I'lll keep an eye out though for any wet areas around the car or under the bonnet. Where did you notice this on your E90 - or did it evaporate as soon as it leaked?
There were no visible wet patches or drips anywhere ... I was checking for that for ages and I could never find anything so I dismissed the idea of a leak. Well, I was wrong and when I looked into it very few people on forums who discovered leaks had any evidence of water under the car. So it seems, that unless the leak is a torrent, most of the water will evaporate. The dealer however was able to confirm the source of the leak within an hour and order replacement parts.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:38 AM
Senior Members

the level still went down (more than could be attributed to evaporation).
Is it easy to perform an ad hoc check of the level on an e90? On my e60 I just wait for the "bing".

ABC
Old 02-03-2007, 01:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='387057' date='Feb 3 2007, 10:06 AM
I haven't looked in detail on the e60. Can you see the level? Or is the pipe straight enough to use some kind of dip stick?
No, I don't believe you can see the level in the E60 either. The design is similar enough to the E90.

In the E90 the reservoir is buried in behind the wheel arch and the filler nozzle and hose is quite long. There is no dipstick only the electronic sensor to tell you when it is low. So the only way to test this yourself is to half fill the tank... do not use the windscreen spray at all (this is the hardest part)... wait for a couple of weeks... if the warning light comes up saying the washer fluid is low... there is a chance you have a leak.

If you are interested here are the washer system parts for the E60

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?mode...hg=61&fg=45

Quick Reply: Window washing fluid