E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Window washing fluid

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 05:37 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by 535dMAN' post='386652' date='Feb 2 2007, 02:31 PM
Even if you have your lights on Try this - gently pull the wiper stalk back and let it freely go back to position DONT PULL IT ALL THE WAY BACK - it will only squirt water on the windscreen and then you can manually hit the stalk down once to clean it
That's exactly it...
It's actually a nice feature... one super-quick squirt and only the windscreen will be sprayed. Then you press down briefly to actually move the wipers. I do it all the time.

It is especially handy for those in very sandy, dry climates. Using this technique you can spray the windscreen with water and leave it spread and soak for a few seconds before you use the wipers. The prevents the glass from being scratched from the dry dust.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:39 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='386656' date='Feb 2 2007, 02:37 PM
That's exactly it...
It's actually a nice feature... one super-quick squirt and only the windscreen will be sprayed. Then you press down briefly to actually move the wipers. I do it all the time.
I give a little spray and then push the auto wipe button.

In fact you can use the auto wipe any time for a single wipe.

ABC
Old 02-02-2007, 05:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

For those who are curious...

The rule for when the headlight washers come on is as follows...

They are switched on during the first wash after starting the car AND lights are switched on (either auto or manual, including parking lights)

It is then off for the next 7 minutes (assuming the lights are still on) UNLESS you operate the windscreen washer 5 times within those 7 minutes
Old 02-02-2007, 05:51 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='386659' date='Feb 2 2007, 02:43 PM
For those who are curious...

The rule for when the headlight washers come on is as follows...

They are switched on during the first wash after starting the car AND lights are switched on (either auto or manual, including parking lights)

It is then off for the next 7 minutes (assuming the lights are still on) UNLESS you operate the windscreen washer 5 times within those 7 minutes
And if you're on auto lights we assume that every time the lights switch, the algorithm is reset.

ABC
Old 02-02-2007, 05:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 535D AM SPORT 06 (07 for you US Guys ;-) Carbon Black Professional Sat Nav 6CD Changer Automatic Aircondition Advance (Standard fit) Bluetooth Telephone Preperation with Telematics Preperation Extended Voice Control System M 19" Mixed Wheels Style 172M BMW Online BMW Assist Graduated Tinted Windscreen Bi-Xenon Headlights Adaptive Headlights Headlight Wash System Black Dakota Leather Rear Spoiler Spare Wheel M Rear Spoler Sun Protection Glass Heated Front Seats BMW Velour Floor Mats BMW Service and Maintenance for 5 years/60,000 miles Tracker - Echo

What about adjusting the damn thingy's so that the water hits the lights and not the windscreen

Is this a dealer fix or is there a way to keep the squirty's open so that we can adjust the direction of water throw?
Old 02-02-2007, 06:01 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='386662' date='Feb 2 2007, 02:51 PM
And if you're on auto lights we assume that every time the lights switch, the algorithm is reset.
I don't know the answer to that one. I will have to check sometime.
I am 90% sure the algorithm is reset each time the lights toggle to on.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:18 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 535dMAN' post='386665' date='Feb 2 2007, 02:54 PM
What about adjusting the damn thingy's so that the water hits the lights and not the windscreen
Is this a dealer fix or is there a way to keep the squirty's open so that we can adjust the direction of water throw?
It's totally normally... they all do this a bit (not just the E60)
-- probably not what you wanted to hear --

See this thread (there are many others like it )

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...ashers&st=0
Old 02-02-2007, 06:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 535D AM SPORT 06 (07 for you US Guys ;-) Carbon Black Professional Sat Nav 6CD Changer Automatic Aircondition Advance (Standard fit) Bluetooth Telephone Preperation with Telematics Preperation Extended Voice Control System M 19" Mixed Wheels Style 172M BMW Online BMW Assist Graduated Tinted Windscreen Bi-Xenon Headlights Adaptive Headlights Headlight Wash System Black Dakota Leather Rear Spoiler Spare Wheel M Rear Spoler Sun Protection Glass Heated Front Seats BMW Velour Floor Mats BMW Service and Maintenance for 5 years/60,000 miles Tracker - Echo

Will have a read - cheers
Old 02-02-2007, 08:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xiT, Sep. 2005 build, silver gray/gray/black anthracite, Steptronic, Premium, Premium Sound, NAV, PDC.
Model Year: 2006

Am I right that in the U.S. you don't get headlight washers at all unless you get the "cold weather package"?
Old 02-02-2007, 09:42 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d saloon, manual 6 ratios, olivin metallic, star spoke 122 alloys, delete boot badge, bi-xenon adaptive headlights including washers, graduated tinted windscreen, exterior and interior mirror auto dimming plus electric folding door mirrors, extended light package, dakota beige leather, dark poplar wood, electric seat adjustment including memory function, heated front seats, advanced climate control, velour floor mats, sliding front armrest, lumbar support for front seats.

Originally Posted by 535dMAN' post='386665' date='Feb 2 2007, 02:54 PM

I think you'll find that they are adjusted to hit the lights. It's just that the pressure is so great you cannot avoid the water being thrown off the lights and over the bonnet (sorry read "hood" for over the pond) and wings.

The amount of water I have to use to refill the resevoir every week is testement to this fact.

Even then I don't really think any jets are very good at cleaning lights esp. when caked with road dirt and salt at this time of year, or even worse splattered insects in the summer!! The old method of having jets and mini wipers were much more up to the job but in a rather more unsightly way.

Quick Reply: Window washing fluid