E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Window washing fluid

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 05:09 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a way to ONLY spray the window washing fluid on the windshield and NOT on the headlights??

I wash my car, then I hit the spray and the entire front of my car is covered in window washing fluid - (overspray from the headlights).
Old 02-02-2007, 05:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BillMcC' post='386641' date='Feb 2 2007, 09:09 AM
Is there a way to ONLY spray the window washing fluid on the windshield and NOT on the headlights??

I wash my car, then I hit the spray and the entire front of my car is covered in window washing fluid - (overspray from the headlights).
I may be wrong, but I think if the lights are OFF they'll not be washed.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:13 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by the-oneil' post='386643' date='Feb 2 2007, 02:11 PM
I may be wrong, but I think if the lights are OFF they'll not be washed.
I drive on auto lights so it's a lottery.

Also, even if on, the headlights aren't cleaned every windscreen clean. I read somewhere it's every third one or so...

ABC
Old 02-02-2007, 05:14 AM
Members

My Ride: Expected delivery on 15 Jan 2007 525I Olivian Green, Beige Interior, PP, CWP, PDC, SP, Rear shades,heated rear seats, Ipod fitted, Nav, Oem Rims 166, Xenon Lights, Wood grain package, illuminated door sills

no your right Bill. On page 56 in the manual it tells you that if the auto wippers, and headlights are on then when you pull the washer it will wash the window and at a appropriate interval will wash the headlights.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:29 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vafinest25' post='386645' date='Feb 2 2007, 09:14 AM
no your right Bill. On page 56 in the manual it tells you that if the auto wippers, and headlights are on then when you pull the washer it will wash the window and at a appropriate interval will wash the headlights.
So, in order to not wash the headlamps, I have to make sure the lights are off?
Old 02-02-2007, 05:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White/Biege 545i, CWP, Nav, Active Steering, Auto Step ordered 2/1/05

Originally Posted by BillMcC' post='386641' date='Feb 2 2007, 09:09 AM

I have my auto headlights ON by default. I turn off the Auto Headlights before cleaning the windshield if I don't want the headlights to be sprayed. Also, the headlights will not be sprayed if the lights aren't actually ON (like on a bright day).
Old 02-02-2007, 05:30 AM
Members

Originally Posted by vafinest25' post='386645' date='Feb 2 2007, 04:14 PM
The wipers are not necessary to be on the auto setting in order to the headlight to also be washed. it's enough that the lights are on (it does not matter that they're on because you explicitly turned them on - by the way, if only the position is on, one click to the right, it's already enough - they are on because of the light sensor or they are on because DRL is activated). Moreover, the first time you wash the windshield after you start the car, if the lights are on, the headlights are also washed.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 535D AM SPORT 06 (07 for you US Guys ;-) Carbon Black Professional Sat Nav 6CD Changer Automatic Aircondition Advance (Standard fit) Bluetooth Telephone Preperation with Telematics Preperation Extended Voice Control System M 19" Mixed Wheels Style 172M BMW Online BMW Assist Graduated Tinted Windscreen Bi-Xenon Headlights Adaptive Headlights Headlight Wash System Black Dakota Leather Rear Spoiler Spare Wheel M Rear Spoler Sun Protection Glass Heated Front Seats BMW Velour Floor Mats BMW Service and Maintenance for 5 years/60,000 miles Tracker - Echo

Even if you have your lights on Try this - gently pull the wiper stalk back and let it freely go back to position DONT PULL IT ALL THE WAY BACK - it will only squirt water on the windscreen and then you can manually hit the stalk down once to clean it

Hope this helps - I use it a lot.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White/Biege 545i, CWP, Nav, Active Steering, Auto Step ordered 2/1/05

Originally Posted by 535dMAN' post='386652' date='Feb 2 2007, 09:31 AM
Even if you have your lights on Try this - gently pull the wiper stalk back and let it freely go back to position DONT PULL IT ALL THE WAY BACK - it will only squirt water on the windscreen and then you can manually hit the stalk down once to clean it

Hope this helps - I use it a lot.
Nice find. I will try it
Old 02-02-2007, 05:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 535D AM SPORT 06 (07 for you US Guys ;-) Carbon Black Professional Sat Nav 6CD Changer Automatic Aircondition Advance (Standard fit) Bluetooth Telephone Preperation with Telematics Preperation Extended Voice Control System M 19" Mixed Wheels Style 172M BMW Online BMW Assist Graduated Tinted Windscreen Bi-Xenon Headlights Adaptive Headlights Headlight Wash System Black Dakota Leather Rear Spoiler Spare Wheel M Rear Spoler Sun Protection Glass Heated Front Seats BMW Velour Floor Mats BMW Service and Maintenance for 5 years/60,000 miles Tracker - Echo

Whilst where at this - doesn anyone know how to adjust the "throw" of the water to the headlights?

Quick Reply: Window washing fluid