E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Will tire over-pressure be sensed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 08:49 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Loss of air pressure in a tire is automaticly sensed on E60. If the tire gets a leak, you get a warning before you can feel the problem if you are driving at the time. If the leak is a slow one, with the warning alarm, you will have a chance to stop at your convenience, assuming you can feel the change in handling enough to gage the rate of loss of air before the tire is damaged. After driving on a soft tire for a time, the high temperatures from internal friction and flexing can make it 'blow out' suddenly.
Now, to my question. Assume you have a low tire but not enough to set off the alarm. Driving at high speed on the highway heats it up and the pressure increases. Will this increase in pressure trigger the alarm the same as a reduction in pressure?
Old 09-21-2004, 08:59 PM
Members

Are we talking about RFT or normal ones?

AFAIK, the way the tyre sensor works is that it doesn't detect pressure per se. If measures wheelspin per wheel and a significant difference in one tyre, meaning one wheel spinning faster allows it to tell that one tyre is low on pressure.

So I doubt that it will detect the increase in pressure you're mentioning.

On the other hand though, I've not heard of RFT having a "blow out". I think they're heaps stronger than a normal wheel and should allow enough time for the system to detect the situation and inform you of the situation. Not sure though on normal tyres.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

I doubt it also, as the heating will take place on all tires, thus raising the pressure in all. The real unknown is say (not that you ever would!) you let the attendant at a gas station put air in your tire and he puts way too much, would the sensor detect that difference, where maybe that wheel is spinning slower than the rest? That is when you need to worry about the increasing pressure from heating while driving causing a blowout (on regular tires).
Old 09-22-2004, 10:55 AM
JDN
Contributors

I just had an interesting issue with my tires. Even with a compressor and a 50' hose extension, it has been quite a while since I checked my tires. Today I was giving the outside a good rinse and wipe down and decided to check the tires since it was such a beautiful day.

Much to my surprise instead of 32 psi each of the fronts was 27 and instead of 35 psi on the rear, each was 30. That was an even 5 psi down on each tire. This was my same old trusty gauge that was used on the last check. Our FTM friend has never so much as hiccupped, so it appears that as long as they all spin the same, theoretically one could deflate to zero without FTM mentioning the fact that a problem was about.

Now, I need advice. Should I air five over to even the wear -- none visible?
Old 09-22-2004, 10:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I would even them. You should always drive around with correct tirepressures. Safes a lot of gas too. I would also initialize the RFT in the I-Drive.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:02 AM
JDN
Contributors

Maybe you misunderstood. I aired them to specs. Question is should I air over specs. I really don't think I will, but asked the rhetorical question anyway.

I will get around to the FTM initialization when I head for the airport in the am. Thanks.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Sep 22 2004, 01:02 PM
Maybe you misunderstood. I aired them to specs. Question is should I air over specs. I really don't think I will, but asked the rhetorical question anyway.

I will get around to the FTM initialization when I head for the airport in the am. Thanks.
[snapback]37031[/snapback]
Sorry, my english can be bad some times.. I always give my tires 0.1 or 0.2 bars over pressure.. I don't know how much it is in PSI. A tireguy once told me that it is better to drive around with a little overpressure then a little underpessure so that's the reason why I do it.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Sep 22 2004, 09:09 PM
Sorry, my english can be bad some times.. I always give my tires 0.1 or 0.2 bars over pressure.. I don't know how much it is in PSI. A tireguy once told me that it is better to drive around with a little overpressure then a little underpessure so that's the reason why I do it.
[snapback]37032[/snapback]

Dennis, the tireguy was telling you BS.
In the past a lot of ppl recommended to have 0.2 more to save fuel, but that is absolute BS.
Just think about how much of your tires actually is in contact with the street. Four wheels are having a total contact with the street equivalent to about one DIN-A-4 piece of paper. Inflating the tires more or less then on the car manufacturers recommendation will lead to less grip/contact.
There is only the right or the wrong pressure for tires, nothing else.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:42 PM
Senior Members

Hate to disagree with Iceman, but softer tires give you more contact. Ask any drag racer. My run flats are 29 front/36 rear as per the manual. The dealer tech stated that I should run 36 all around because the tires will last longer and the lower pressure is better only when high speed cornering regularly.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Jimbo' date='Sep 23 2004, 02:42 AM
Hate to disagree with Iceman, but softer tires give you more contact. Ask any drag racer. My run flats are 29 front/36 rear as per the manual. The dealer tech stated that I should run 36 all around because the tires will last longer and the lower pressure is better only when high speed cornering regularly.
[snapback]37163[/snapback]
You don't disagree with me, you disagree with experts and race drivers!
That is not my opinion, it's a pro opinion.

What you need for racing is indeed softer tires, but not less pressure, softer rubber!

When you check the internet on this topic or (better!) speak with pro's they all will tell you, that raceing tires are different, and you better don't drive your tires with more or less than the recommended tire pressure!

You have less grip and the tires don't last very long. They also get louder...