E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Will iTrip or iCarplay Wireless work in the 5 er?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 09:06 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

I looking at Ipod use in my 5 er. Does this wireless technology make sense?
Old 12-29-2004, 08:37 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i Titanium Silver/Black, Sport, Premium, L7, Cold

Originally Posted by pharding' date='Dec 29 2004, 01:06 AM
I looking at Ipod use in my 5 er.? Does this wireless technology make sense?
[snapback]73287[/snapback]
I've used the iTrip with my iPod and it does work. But just OK. Sometimes. If you CAN find a frequency that is not being used in your area, the quality is like a 1.5 (1=8-track tape, 5=CD/SatRadio). If you CAN'T, the quality is like 0.5 - which will make you *wish* you had an 8-track tape!

My opinions on iPod sound quality via different methods (from worse to best):
1. FM Transmitter: i.e. like iTrip, Belkin, Monster Cable, etc. They all suck but some are suckier than others. The iTrip and other digital ones are nicer because you can tune in to almost *any* frequency vs. the cheapo ones that only have like 4 frequencies.

2. FM Modulator: This little $50 device also hijacks the FM frequency but does it by going inline with the radio's antenna. Sound quality is a bit better and the ability to "hold" a frequency is much better. Downside is that you have to find where the antenna connects to the radio (get out that dash & radio removal tool) and provide a power connection. I tried this with my E46 M3 Business CD radio awhile back and after removing the dash & radio, found that the BMW antenna connection is different that the 'standard' connector and wasn't successful in finding a converter. So I don't know if this is even an option for our E60's.

3. Cassette Tape Adapter: $20 tape adapter that converts to the 1/4" audio plug. Sound quality is as good as a regular tape (limited frequencies compared to CD). Extremely easier to use and cheapest option. Unfortunately, my E60 didn't come with a tape player - don't know if this is even an option!

4a. CD Changer Adapter: Devices like the IceLink will connect to your 6-disc changer input (so no more changer but you will still have the indash one). Sound quality should be excellent since the frequency range of CD's and MP3's are very close. You still use the iPod interface to select songs and playlists. Unfortunately, last I looked on their website (dension.com), they didn't have an adapter for the E60 yet. Also, fairly pricey ~$200-$250.

4b. BMW/iPod connecter: Similar to 4a but you now can use the 6-disc selection on iDrive and steering wheel controls. The first 5 CD's correlate to user created BMW playlists and the 6th one is for all songs. Cool but not really since it's a pain in the ass to go through 1000's of songs sequentially. Anyways, it's really not an option since they don't make it for the E60 (yet?).

4c. Auxiliary Input: This is the best option since it doesn't rely on other sources to convert the iPod source music. It's a $40 connector they put in your glove box and hook up to the back end of the radio. I believe the dealer will also need to program the iDrive to recognize the new input (?). Cost is around $250 (includes 2 hrs of labor).

I went to the dealer to get 4c done yesterday but when I got there they found out the necessary part (65 12 0 153 502) is on nationwide backorder with 56 units outstanding. WTF?
Old 12-29-2004, 09:44 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kt8509' date='Dec 29 2004, 10:37 AM
[quote name='pharding' date='Dec 29 2004, 01:06 AM']I looking at Ipod use in my 5 er.? Does this wireless technology make sense?
[snapback]73287[/snapback]
I've used the iTrip with my iPod and it does work. But just OK. Sometimes. If you CAN find a frequency that is not being used in your area, the quality is like a 1.5 (1=8-track tape, 5=CD/SatRadio). If you CAN'T, the quality is like 0.5 - which will make you *wish* you had an 8-track tape!

My opinions on iPod sound quality via different methods (from worse to best):
1. FM Transmitter: i.e. like iTrip, Belkin, Monster Cable, etc. They all suck but some are suckier than others. The iTrip and other digital ones are nicer because you can tune in to almost *any* frequency vs. the cheapo ones that only have like 4 frequencies.

2. FM Modulator: This little $50 device also hijacks the FM frequency but does it by going inline with the radio's antenna. Sound quality is a bit better and the ability to "hold" a frequency is much better. Downside is that you have to find where the antenna connects to the radio (get out that dash & radio removal tool) and provide a power connection. I tried this with my E46 M3 Business CD radio awhile back and after removing the dash & radio, found that the BMW antenna connection is different that the 'standard' connector and wasn't successful in finding a converter. So I don't know if this is even an option for our E60's.

3. Cassette Tape Adapter: $20 tape adapter that converts to the 1/4" audio plug. Sound quality is as good as a regular tape (limited frequencies compared to CD). Extremely easier to use and cheapest option. Unfortunately, my E60 didn't come with a tape player - don't know if this is even an option!

4a. CD Changer Adapter: Devices like the IceLink will connect to your 6-disc changer input (so no more changer but you will still have the indash one). Sound quality should be excellent since the frequency range of CD's and MP3's are very close. You still use the iPod interface to select songs and playlists. Unfortunately, last I looked on their website (dension.com), they didn't have an adapter for the E60 yet. Also, fairly pricey ~$200-$250.

4b. BMW/iPod connecter: Similar to 4a but you now can use the 6-disc selection on iDrive and steering wheel controls. The first 5 CD's correlate to user created BMW playlists and the 6th one is for all songs. Cool but not really since it's a pain in the ass to go through 1000's of songs sequentially. Anyways, it's really not an option since they don't make it for the E60 (yet?).

4c. Auxiliary Input: This is the best option since it doesn't rely on other sources to convert the iPod source music. It's a $40 connector they put in your glove box and hook up to the back end of the radio. I believe the dealer will also need to program the iDrive to recognize the new input (?). Cost is around $250 (includes 2 hrs of labor).

I went to the dealer to get 4c done yesterday but when I got there they found out the necessary part (65 12 0 153 502) is on nationwide backorder with 56 units outstanding. WTF?

[snapback]73447[/snapback]
[/quote]

Try BMWPARTSGUY, as I got mine from him (for $60) a couple of weeks ago. Received it in less than a week.