E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

will dealer install non-runflats...?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 08:54 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

I'm taking my '08 535i (still under warranty) to the dealer tomorrow for an oil change and to have them install a set of Michelin PS2 A/S tires (provided by me). Are they gonna tell me "we can't install these tires because they are not OEM..."? I never really thought about it until someone brought it to my attention that they might say this.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:43 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by Allen
I'm taking my '08 535i (still under warranty) to the dealer tomorrow for an oil change and to have them install a set of Michelin PS2 A/S tires (provided by me). Are they gonna tell me "we can't install these tires because they are not OEM..."? I never really thought about it until someone brought it to my attention that they might say this.
Well your first mistake is paying dealer labor rates for a tire install that can be done WAAAAAAAAY cheaper by a local tire shop. In answer to your question: Yes, they will install any tire you want - they are raping you in labor anyway, they might as well right?
Old 04-07-2010, 10:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by pjinca
Well your first mistake is paying dealer labor rates for a tire install that can be done WAAAAAAAAY cheaper by a local tire shop.
I'm much more concerned about it being done right, with no scratches to my wheels, or TPMS getting messed up, than how much it cost. If "Bubba's Tire Shop" screws up my wheel, chances of getting it fixed/replaced are about zero...if BMW screws it up, they have the resources/parts to make it right. I'm funny like that...I'll pay to avoid hassle.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:39 AM
Contributors

I'm much more concerned about it being done right, with no scratches to my wheels, or TPMS getting messed up, than how much it cost. If "Bubba's Tire Shop" screws up my wheel, chances of getting it fixed/replaced are about zero...if BMW screws it up, they have the resources/parts to make it right. I'm funny like that...I'll pay to avoid hassle.

wow

can i have some money since you like to throw it away?
Old 04-07-2010, 11:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Just go to a reputable wheel and tire place, like Discount Tire, NTB, or another place that sells aftermarket wheels. They are better equiped to baby your rims then the dealership and usually have the most recent tire mounting equipment. No body says you have to go to Bubba's Tire Shop, but friends dont let friends pay dealer prices!
Old 04-07-2010, 11:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 530I

Sometimes you think dealer do a good job, but you don't know what's happening in the back. I rather go to a tire shop and if they do something stupid just yell at them. That's what I do I just stand there and stare at them giving them a hard time so they won't mess up my rim.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:41 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by IceyTys
Just go to a reputable wheel and tire place, like Discount Tire, NTB, or another place that sells aftermarket wheels. They are better equiped to baby your rims then the dealership and usually have the most recent tire mounting equipment. No body says you have to go to Bubba's Tire Shop, but friends dont let friends pay dealer prices!
That line is TFF!!!! And so true. Let me just say this: I went to my local dealer for maint. and they replaced the front brake pads. They did not fully tighten the wheels again, they were FINGER tight. They also assured me the work done to my car was done by "one of their Shop Foremen" - and you trust them more?!?!?!
Old 04-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi, platinum gray w/ nat brown; anthracite headliner, PP, SP, CWP, 18" wheels, L7, Ipod, FDR seats

I had my BMW shop install non-RF's on my '08 18" sport pack wheels last year --- my thinking too was that I had a better chance of getting it done right if BMW did it. Wrong --- scratches here and there, nothing major, but enough to realize I wasted my $$ having them do it.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Allen Drop me a line for good local Tire installers if needed.

Sabb, Tire Engineer's and Momentum are your best bets. I can vouch for any of them and the PCA and BMW CCA use SABB and T.E.