E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Will/could a CIP update fix a crashing/broken Idrive

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 11:39 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, my car over the past week has started to show strange behaviour, in that the idrive would randomly freeze and re-boot (normally within 5 mins of setting off) it has now progressed to a point where the idrive doesn't even start up and the screen is blank (the idrive knob also spins freely).

I rang the dealer today (based in Bristol) who has informed me that a "software" update should fix it. Given that the car is now out of warranty I don't fancy paying ?100/hour for something that isn't going to work.

Has anyone has a crashing/frozen idrive fixed by software update or is it going to need a new CCC?

P.S. i've searched for this and can't find many recent reports of the idrive crashing.

I have a 2005 530d SE with media pack (professional nav & Bluetooth), live in the UK and i don't believe the system has ever been updated.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: ***SOLD*** 2006 530xi Sapphire Metallic Black with Auburn Dakota Leather Sport Seats, Dark Poplar Wood Trim,Cold, Premium,Premium Sound,Sport Package Steptronic,Active Cruise Control Comfort access, Comfort Seats, Front and Rear Heated seats Adaptive Headlights, Idrive, Navigation, Bluetooth, Sirius Radio, Ipod Interface ACS roof, ACS trunk spoiler, front ACS bumper spoiler with carbon fiber lip and carbon pillars. 20% tints all around. 19' Bremmer rims.

Originally Posted by latho' post='813858' date='Mar 11 2009, 02:39 PM
Hi there, my car over the past week has started to show strange behaviour, in that the idrive would randomly freeze and re-boot (normally within 5 mins of setting off) it has now progressed to a point where the idrive doesn't even start up and the screen is blank (the idrive knob also spins freely).

I rang the dealer today (based in Bristol) who has informed me that a "software" update should fix it. Given that the car is now out of warranty I don't fancy paying ?100/hour for something that isn't going to work.

Has anyone has a crashing/frozen idrive fixed by software update or is it going to need a new CCC?

P.S. i've searched for this and can't find many recent reports of the idrive crashing.

I have a 2005 530d SE with media pack (professional nav & Bluetooth), live in the UK and i don't believe the system has ever been updated.

My Idrive was doing the same thing a few months ago, the dealer ended up replacing my CCC unit twice on me after trying the software update. They charged me I believe a little over $1800- They also said that the CCC unit wasn't covered under the warranty. When it went in the 2nd time for same issues they replaced the unit again on them and gave me the latest progman, navigation software and mp3 for the headache of being without my car for a total of 5 days for both replacements. All has been good so far.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 titanium silver metallic Like new 41k Cold Weather Package

Originally Posted by gildagjg' post='813881' date='Mar 11 2009, 03:02 PM
My Idrive was doing the same thing a few months ago, the dealer ended up replacing my CCC unit twice on me after trying the software update. They charged me I believe a little over $1800- They also said that the CCC unit wasn't covered under the warranty. When it went in the 2nd time for same issues they replaced the unit again on them and gave me the latest progman, navigation software and mp3 for the headache of being without my car for a total of 5 days for both replacements. All has been good so far.
Ouch! Good thing your car doesn't need any more mods
Old 03-11-2009, 01:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by gildagjg' post='813881' date='Mar 11 2009, 08:02 PM
Cheers, I think!

I'm fearing the worst, and think the CCC may need replacing, but at ?1,000 that's 1/8 the cars value so may have to replace with second hand one or downgrade to the standard none nav unit.

Dom
Old 07-14-2009, 07:46 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by latho' post='814015' date='Mar 11 2009, 05:55 PM
Cheers, I think!

I'm fearing the worst, and think the CCC may need replacing, but at ?1,000 that's 1/8 the cars value so may have to replace with second hand one or downgrade to the standard none nav unit.

Dom
Dom, so what happened at the end?
Did you need a new CCC unit or a software update, or both?