E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Do you think BMW will ever be acquired by another marque?
Yes
2.33%
No
93.02%
Unsure
4.65%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Will BMW ever be taken over by another company?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 03:21 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530d MSport Auto, 19" 172 Spiders on ContiSports 2's, Pro Nav, Adaptive Xenons, Bruce M's V6 Rear LCI Cables/Lights, Number plate LED

Originally Posted by swajames
BMW has never owned Jaguar.
I stand corrected. It was Ford that owned this since 1989 and then sold to Tata Motors.

It's such as shame because in the UK we once had a robust car industry with Aston Martin, Bentley, Rolls Royce and Jaguar to name a few!
Old 04-24-2011, 03:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d MSport Auto, 19" 172 Spiders on ContiSports 2's, Pro Nav, Adaptive Xenons, Bruce M's V6 Rear LCI Cables/Lights, Number plate LED

Originally Posted by spyrot1
First of all, BMW never owned Jaguar!

They bought the Rover group, but Ford picked up Jaguar.

They got rid of Land Rover, and the Rover group, but kept Mini.

They picked up Rolls Royce when VW thought they had it and Bentley.

The Quandt family owns the majority share of BMW, so they would have to sell it for anyone else to buy it.

And after the debacle of the Rover Group purchase (BMW lost billions on it), I doubt they'll buy anyone big. They are one of the most profitable and prestigious luxury car makers, why screw that up by buying someone else...?

Besides they learned their lesson with the Rover Group (as Daimler Benz learned with Chrysler). Don't try to get big by buying inferior priducts.
Good points, well made.

However lets not forget that Porsche was also a very cash-rich, prestigious and luxury car maker but still went for VW! So it could happen. Also, will external factors such as the push for electric cars and alternative energy in the future, shift this balance and force further M&A's in this marketplace or even co-brand development to cut costs and improve technologies in a bid to push these to the market? Will BMW have to react to VW's brand collection to remain competitive? Or will VW contaminate their own products through brand cannibalism?
Old 04-24-2011, 03:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2015 435xi GC

Originally Posted by swajames
Perfectly possible, but unlikely. BMW was almost taken over once by Mercedes before the Quandt family took their stake. Much like Ford, much of BMW is family owned and only some is publicly traded meaning no deal happens unless the Quandt family wants out, something that's looking very unlikely.

I don't see BMW acquring another brand, they are already in every segment (including some they ought not to be in) as it stands. It's also interesting how BMW positions itself as an independent brand, it's no more indepedent than any other major manufacturer that answers to a board and to stockholders.

Not that it matters, but the Porsche/VW deal was always going to happen in one way or another due to the family ties but it wasn't simply the credit crunch that impacted Porsche's (otherwise absolutely brilliant) strategy. There are state laws in Lower Saxony (the so-called VW Law) that gave the state, which was a 20.1% shareholder, the ability to block the deal despite having only a minority interest. The EU Courts struck down the VW Law but it keeps coming back in slightly altered form. Finally - Porsche isn't yet a VW subsidiary, but will be this year and the two companies have operated as one since the VW investment was made.
Originally Posted by spyrot1
First of all, BMW never owned Jaguar!

They bought the Rover group, but Ford picked up Jaguar.

They got rid of Land Rover, and the Rover group, but kept Mini.

They picked up Rolls Royce when VW thought they had it and Bentley.

The Quandt family owns the majority share of BMW, so they would have to sell it for anyone else to buy it.

And after the debacle of the Rover Group purchase (BMW lost billions on it), I doubt they'll buy anyone big. They are one of the most profitable and prestigious luxury car makers, why screw that up by buying someone else...?

Besides they learned their lesson with the Rover Group (as Daimler Benz learned with Chrysler). Don't try to get big by buying inferior priducts.

While the points raised regarding institutional and state investors are important, we seem to be getting somewhat exaggerative in terms of share ownership, as it stands:

The Quandt Family (Stephan [son] 17.4%, Susanne [daughter] 12.5%, and Johanna [mother] 16.7%) owns just over 46%..
The Board (as a whole) owns just over 27%

Furthermore, we have to draw a line between choice and necessity of sale.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:00 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
BMW buys out other brands then sells them

MINI
Rolls Royce
Land Rover
BMW still owns Mini and Rolls Royce, they sold Land Rover many years ago...
Old 04-24-2011, 05:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by ron_cb550
While the points raised regarding institutional and state investors are important, we seem to be getting somewhat exaggerative in terms of share ownership, as it stands:

The Quandt Family (Stephan [son] 17.4%, Susanne [daughter] 12.5%, and Johanna [mother] 16.7%) owns just over 46%..
The Board (as a whole) owns just over 27%

Furthermore, we have to draw a line between choice and necessity of sale.
If you read my post I didn't say that the Quandt family owned the majority, I correctly stated that much of the stock is family owned, and at 46% this is the case. The majority of BMW's stock is publicly traded, but for practical purposes nothing happens unless the Quandts want out

It's also worth remembering that at 1.3m units or thereabout, BMW remains a comparatively small manufacturer compared to certain others who produce many more cars and, in some cases, aren't hurting for cash. I can't see any such deal happening near term, but there are number of players who have the wherewithal to fund a deal should BMW's board decide that this was in the best interests of the company.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:47 PM
Senior Members

Great news from Tata Motors. Save a certain number of hotel points, and Mr. Patel will provide you with a Jag for the week end.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:45 AM
Members

Isn't Jaguar (read: yag - yoo - wah) a Ford product?
Old 04-25-2011, 03:57 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by black550_m5sport
Isn't Jaguar (read: yag - yoo - wah) a Ford product?
It was from 1989 - 2008. Ford then sold Jaguar, (and Land Rover), to Tata Motors in June 2008. The furry felines are still made here in the UK. And although it's no longer a British owned firm, the Prime Minister and some Royals are still seen being driven about in them, as I believe they also holds Royal Warrants from our Queen, (not Elton but Elizabeth II) and Prince Charles.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:16 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Percy_991
...not Elton but Elizabeth II...

Hilarious!
Old 04-25-2011, 04:18 AM
Members

I rented a Jag once.

I am waiting for Enterprise Rent-a-Car to carry the M5.

Quick Reply: Will BMW ever be taken over by another company?