E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Wife just damaged the lowr bottom portion of front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 11:04 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by k Wang' post='570085' date='Apr 28 2008, 02:16 PM
Does the M-tech kit front will come with foglights? If not, can I use my current foglights? Will the rear bumper still fits the supersprint exhaust? or there's special mods required to fit. The $1800 painted group buy is very attractive, but not OEM I assumed. Wondering how much labor it costs to have the whole kit put on at the dealer or body shop.
Kevin - the M-Tech kit is OEM with foglights and everything. $1800 is a great deal. I'm thinking about it too. The only downside is the wait time, it can take up to 2 months or more to receive it. Also, there is a guy (BMW tech) some NJ members used to do installation. He'll come and help with the install at your home. From what I heard the cost is pretty reasonable, of course you have to do some work as well. BTW - where will you get the exhaust done?
Old 04-28-2008, 11:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Lot's of options for sure...but the first thing I'd do is get my wife her own car...or that's just going to happen again
Old 04-28-2008, 11:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

"My Wife" did the same thing to my previoius bimmer.....!!!
Old 04-28-2008, 11:31 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by theXman' post='570115' date='Apr 28 2008, 03:04 PM
Kevin - the M-Tech kit is OEM with foglights and everything. $1800 is a great deal. I'm thinking about it too. The only downside is the wait time, it can take up to 2 months or more to receive it. Also, there is a guy (BMW tech) some NJ members used to do installation. He'll come and help with the install at your home. From what I heard the cost is pretty reasonable, of course you have to do some work as well. BTW - where will you get the exhaust done?

Do you know where is the link for the group buy and when is the dead line? I have spend 2 weeks thinking and finally decided to order the ACS trunk/roof spoilers set instead of ACS roof/M5 Trunk spoiler set and purchased the 172s wheels instead of the BREYTON Flame wheels.

Any idea what his is going to charge to install the kit and how long does it take? I have no problem to help but do not have many tools here. What if we bring the kit to dealer or bodyshop for installation? Any idea how much labor it is going to cost?

How about the price $1825 from BMW website? Is the price for pre-painted? (Additional parts required depending on model and vehicle options. Consult your local BMW center for details. Each price is the suggested retail price and is subject to change. Price excludes installation and taxes. Check pricing and availability at your local BMW Center) http://accessories.bmwusa.com/ItemView.asp...p;productId=909

I found a shop next to the raceway gas station called Customs Muffler. I believe it is part of the Livingston Collision repair shop.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='570119' date='Apr 28 2008, 03:12 PM
Lot's of options for sure...but the first thing I'd do is get my wife her own car...or that's just going to happen again

Funny thing was that she just told my on Saturday that she prefer to drive the 545 as she feels the FX35 not comfortable to drive as the FX tends to swing around when changing lanes and make turns as she is more used to drive the previous leased 2006 330 with sport package.

Then the next day she damaged the 545 bumper. She is driving the FX today.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i Sport & Premium package with bluetooth, 6 disk cd-Changer, stock 18's dunlop wrapped, leather, adaptive headlights, CPO, See my gallery :DR.I.P...Stock Silver 2004 530i with grey interior, HID,
Model Year: 2005
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by k Wang' post='570088' date='Apr 28 2008, 02:18 PM
Can you help to describe it in more detail way? I do not understand when you said to use a iron at a low setting to head up the area.

Thanks.

set the iron to a low/medium setting then press it onto the bent part of the bumper and push up so that it heats up the plastic and the base of the iron will help to flatten it out. it will bend it right back to how it was before... you could try using a shop rag or a used t-shirt between the iron and the bumper to not ruin the iron and to prevent the plastic from melting.

but knowing that the damage has been done you're better off upgrading to the m-tech kit if you consider yourself handy you could install it yourself (i'm VERY handy so its not a probllem for me). instructions are provided with the kit and it includes everything you need, even the fog lights...

here's the link to the group buy: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=53497 its almost ready to go! join us!

orlee
Old 04-28-2008, 01:52 PM
Members

I did the same thing a couple of months ago. Estimate was $1200 for new bumper and paint from BMW Repair Center.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:13 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bimmer545' post='570238' date='Apr 28 2008, 05:52 PM
I did the same thing a couple of months ago. Estimate was $1200 for new bumper and paint from BMW Repair Center.

The OEM none M-tech bumper?
Old 04-28-2008, 02:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550I. M-Technic Body Kit 2008 M5 Deck Lid Finisher 21" 3-piece MHT Forged Pirelli PZero Nero Tires

mY OPINION ON THE MATTER IS TO FIX THE BUMPER PROPERLY THERES TWO GOOD WAYS TO GO. THE FIRST IS YOU HAVE THE FRONT BUMPER PROFESSIONALLY RE-MANUFACTURED TO BRING IT BACK TO ITS ORIGNAL DIMENSIONS NA DHTEN HAVE IT REPAINTED, OR JUST REPLACE THE BUMPER WITH THE M-TECH BODY KIT WHIH I KNOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE SUGGESTED TO YOU.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:35 PM
Contributors

#6> Teach spouse about parking too close to obstructions or in the future you will surely be writing about re-repairing your repaired bumper or M replacement.

Quick Reply: Wife just damaged the lowr bottom portion of front bumper