E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Wierd vent output on my '09 535

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 07:41 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last night my girlfriend and I went out for dinner and since the outside temp was around 85 I was running the air conditioning using the auto setting but my side set for 70 and she had hers set for 72. Everything seemed to be working fine. On the return trip we started out with the auto air on again but then I noticed the outside temp was 68 so I thought 'why use the AC' so I just kept the auto blower setting on but hit the AC button (the one with the snowflake) thinking to just use the vents. This has always brought in cool air if the outside air temps were lower than I had the temp control set for. The system kept blowing cool air out the dash vents but I kept thinking I was feeling warm air on my face. I started feeling around with my hand and discovered the system was blowing cool air out the dash vents but very warm air from the windshield vents. I switched to manual blower control with the button for my side and it was set to blow out the dash vents only and I then felt for the air coming from the windshield vents and those had shut off. I went back to auto fan control and even then the windshield vents no longer were putting out hot air (BTW, I have the auto vent set so the upper body is all the way to blue which I assume means cool air). I dropped my girlfriend at her house and when I went back and started the car the dash vents were still blowing cool air but once again the windshield vents were blowing very warm air. Am I missing a setting or something; why would it do this?
Old 04-08-2012, 08:50 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I
Model Year: 530i

It sounds like a case of menopulse or jealousy to me. She should be back to normal by now. If not, give her a routine maintenance and special lube job...

On the side note... Best of luck with the car! I am sure it's just a system glitch due to low voltage or dirty micro cabin filters.

Originally Posted by bikerdib
Last night my girlfriend and I went out for dinner and since the outside temp was around 85 I was running the air conditioning using the auto setting but my side set for 70 and she had hers set for 72. Everything seemed to be working fine. On the return trip we started out with the auto air on again but then I noticed the outside temp was 68 so I thought 'why use the AC' so I just kept the auto blower setting on but hit the AC button (the one with the snowflake) thinking to just use the vents. This has always brought in cool air if the outside air temps were lower than I had the temp control set for. The system kept blowing cool air out the dash vents but I kept thinking I was feeling warm air on my face. I started feeling around with my hand and discovered the system was blowing cool air out the dash vents but very warm air from the windshield vents. I switched to manual blower control with the button for my side and it was set to blow out the dash vents only and I then felt for the air coming from the windshield vents and those had shut off. I went back to auto fan control and even then the windshield vents no longer were putting out hot air (BTW, I have the auto vent set so the upper body is all the way to blue which I assume means cool air). I dropped my girlfriend at her house and when I went back and started the car the dash vents were still blowing cool air but once again the windshield vents were blowing very warm air. Am I missing a setting or something; why would it do this?
Old 04-08-2012, 05:34 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Turning off the AC does not turn off the auto climate control. IIRC the climate control will automatically blow warmer air on the windshield to keep it from fogging up. This would explian what you are experiencing.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:14 PM
Members

Originally Posted by pukka
Turning off the AC does not turn off the auto climate control. IIRC the climate control will automatically blow warmer air on the windshield to keep it from fogging up. This would explian what you are experiencing.
OK, thanks for the reply. I was wondering if maybe that is what was going on. Like I said, I was also just making sure I wasn't missing something in the settings.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:46 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

owner's manual
it's ok my first car i had in 1999 and i took to the dealer under warranty becuase the climate control would only go to 59 degrees farenheight. LOOOOL. Man did I feel ashamed when I found out how things worked.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:49 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
owner's manual
it's ok my first car i had in 1999 and i took to the dealer under warranty becuase the climate control would only go to 59 degrees farenheight. LOOOOL. Man did I feel ashamed when I found out how things worked.
I read the owner's manual; twice. All I saw was that if the humidity is sensed to be high the system would run the AC. Maybe I missed it but I don't remember it saying it would run heat to the windshield while blowing cool air through the other vents.